Singapore Expats Forum

British citizenship or Singaporean?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Ginner-Sg

British citizenship or Singaporean?

Postby Ginner-Sg » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 4:49 pm

Just thought i would ask a small question. I'm married to a Singaporean and hold PR, i was asked a question the other day. Would i keep my British citizenship or change it to a Singaporean. Now i'm thinking to change it but i don't know. Thought i would ask, just see what some ppl think. Thanks for your time. :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: British citizenship or Singaporean?

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:04 pm

Ginner-Sg wrote:Just thought i would ask a small question. I'm married to a Singaporean and hold PR, i was asked a question the other day. Would i keep my British citizenship or change it to a Singaporean. Now i'm thinking to change it but i don't know. Thought i would ask, just see what some ppl think. Thanks for your time. :)

thinking aloud .. changing passports - is that so easy ??

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:08 pm

Good post and an interesting question. It really depends on the benefits you want and what you are prepared to sacrifice.

It's a shame that SG does not offer joint Citizenship, but then I guess you'd get too many people milking the system for all it's worth. So I can see the logic of making people choose. But on the flip side the option to also hold a Citizenship in SG with conditions attached to it would also be good.

I don't think I'd ever give up my British passport though - as much I think the Country is a shithole, it will always have a place in my heart because I grew up there and the family attachment.