Singapore Expats

colds/sickness

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
hougangpeterlee

Post by hougangpeterlee » Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:26 pm

durban65 wrote:How many restaurants do you see where there are no paper towels in the washrooms? How many times have you gone for the door of a washroom only to find it wet from the last person's hands - do you consider that clean? I certainly don't but the last person either does or doesn't care. And in some cases, these are the people preparing your food. Don't even get me started on seeing the same persons putting their fingers in their noses or coughing while working around food.
Yeah you are so right!!! Singapore is indeed a very dirty country, one of the dirtiest in the world.

Wet toilet locks, no paper towels... can you get dirtier than that?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:07 pm

Sure you can. Just drive across the causeway or hop a ferry across the harbour.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hougangpeterlee

Post by hougangpeterlee » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sure you can. Just drive across the causeway or hop a ferry across the harbour.
A bit hard innit? Hop a ferry. I would need one of those long jump poles and a lot of good luck.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:23 pm

Yeah, you are right, you'd probably screw that up as well. Especially considering the ferry would be probably tied to the dock, making it easy for any P6 student to do it. Hopping a ferry is easy, get to the top of the access ramp and hop across to the deck of the boat. But, you are probably right, you'd screw that up as well. Obviously word play isn't your strong point, is it. :roll:

Long jump poles? What is that? Sure you don't mean Pole Vault Poles? You even screwed that up. #-o ](*,)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hougangpeterlee

Post by hougangpeterlee » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, you are right, you'd probably screw that up as well. Especially considering the ferry would be probably tied to the dock, making it easy for any P6 student to do it. Hopping a ferry is easy, get to the top of the access ramp and hop across to the deck of the boat. But, you are probably right, you'd screw that up as well. Obviously word play isn't your strong point, is it. :roll:

Long jump poles? What is that? Sure you don't mean Pole Vault Poles? You even screwed that up. #-o ](*,)
Oh sorry, you know my English is so bad... Two thumbs up for your great insights as usual. It is 'hop a ferry', not 'hop on a ferry' like I imagined it was.

Great job!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:04 pm

You forgot the long jump poles...... :wink:

Conveniently, I suppose, as you couldn't find any wiggle-room to get out of that one. :wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 3:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You forgot the long jump poles...... :wink:

Conveniently, I suppose, as you couldn't find any wiggle-room to get out of that one. :wink:
Pole Vault being an athletic event where one leaps for height by vaulting over a bar with the aid of a long pole: Babylon Dictionary.

Though pole vault pole is also commonly used, long pole is also used for those that do not know the sport very well and is quite correct. :wink: UK English would be to hop on a ferry where i come from :wink:

Interesting topic! I can recommend vinegar to fight most bacteria and viruses, for sore throats take honey vinegar, for gastric upsets, clean out with aloe or orange, these two tend to gas up a little before the laxative effect cleans the colon and intestines, maintain with any other vinegar beverage. :wink: :P 6 years and we have never really suffered, though my daughter picked up the local foot & mouth disease in kindergarten, the authorities are fast to lock down when there is an epidemic.

Hygiene is a very private affair and i can honestly say i have seen and I know worse offending Englishmen in my time than anything I have experienced in Asia. :roll: So what goes on here in toilets is no different than many other places around the world.

I actually know Chinese that will not eat in Chinese restaurants without inspecting the kitchens first, and my reaction to that was, I'd rather not know becuase i can always find fault. Chinese immune systems are also effected when they forbid their children and themselves to eat or drink Ice cold.

Though hysteria and gossip can cause negative reactions anywhere! Some effects of local disease are impossible to avoid, many young locals actually die from unknown causes and I can also vouch that my squadron leaders wife who was in her mid 30's back in 1970 also contracted a brain infection her in Singapore, it made her mentally unstable and she died within 6 months.

Now at that time I recall we were issued with salt tablets to take one a day, due to the humidity and also also encouraged to drink plenty of water much more than normal.

Headaches and dizziness are more likely to be caused by dehydration than anything else. Which my daughter also experiences occasionally after to much activity. I myself have become more conscious of drinking more water than normal becuase of dehydration symptoms too, constipation is also a sign of dehydration as the water in the colon is absorbed more quickly through the colon walls and expelled through the skin leaving pellet like faeces.
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 26 Aug 2011 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 3:39 pm

I had a bottle of wine called Cuvee Rot last night. That was like 'kin vinegar. I feel like $hit this morning too. So am not sold on your theory KSL!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 3:58 pm

ksl wrote:Interesting topic, i can recommend vinegar
[-X
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 4:13 pm

JR8 wrote:I had a bottle of wine called Cuvee Rot last night. That was like 'kin vinegar. I feel like $hit this morning too. So am not sold on your theory KSL!
Your supposed to drink the wine, before it gets to that stage :lol:

Just out of curiosity let me pose this question to everyone. If you had a choice what would you choose?

Vinegar?
Fermented Fruit Juice?
Coke?
Fanta?
Fermented Milk?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 4:19 pm

nakatago wrote:
ksl wrote:Interesting topic, i can recommend vinegar
[-X
Vinegar is not advertising Nakatago, mentioning a brand or company is! Vinegar is a healthy topic. No different than Cheese Ice Cream, Fruit & Nuts, or Red wine :-| SMS made me clear of the rules long ago

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 4:34 pm

durban65 wrote: ........
what's with your signature tag ???

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 4:41 pm

ksl wrote:
JR8 wrote:I had a bottle of wine called Cuvee Rot last night. That was like 'kin vinegar. I feel like $hit this morning too. So am not sold on your theory KSL!

Just out of curiosity let me pose this question to everyone. If you had a choice what would you choose?

Vinegar?
Fermented Fruit Juice?
Coke?
Fanta?
Fermented Milk?
You missed out beer.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 8:17 pm

JR8 wrote:
ksl wrote:

Vinegar?
Fermented Fruit Juice?
Coke?
Fanta?
Fermented Milk?
You missed out beer.
Oh yes

The worst beer i've ever tasted was Uk's John Smiths!

But seriously my belief is that drinking vinegars should not be called drinking vinegars, has the acetic acid is only around 2%...in the USA for example it would not be a vinegar unless it was 4% according to FDA.

So my point is, that even red wine that has gone off, is likely to have only a tiny percentage of acetic acid in it, as long as there was still alcohol in it but yes the vinegar sourness would be the acetic acid.

I recall my first attempt in Denmark at making Red wine, what a fiasco, i had problems maintaining the temperature in the 25 gallon glass container, and that also went to vinegar, the first glass was truly foul, the 2nd a little better and so on, no headaches though. I mean one had to be really desperate to drink it, so those that did drink it only complained of the first glass and rightly so. :roll: Mind you I have purchased wines that tasted much worse too for the price of them!

My best experience of wine drinking was on holiday in Yugoslavia, while on a picnic with all different cheeses. Really deep full blooded Red and tiny bit sweet.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 8:52 pm

Thing is we know what the Asians are like. They are superstitious and believe in a lot of hocum.

Nipple whitening cream? Skin whitening drips? Grow-taller pill? Ghosts? Toilet point wrong way?

I don't see anything approaching vinegar can do what a bottle of Cuvee Rot can't. How can it, chemically, physiologically?

If you care to reply: facts not hocum please.

Return to “General Discussions”