Singapore Expats

colds/sickness

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 1:12 am

earthfriendly wrote:KSL, now you have got me sold on vinegar. Can you recommend a brand :P ? Please keep it short.
Advertising not allowed :lol: Though i would choose one that has a reputation of being made by agricultural chemists with continued research and development and been scientifically researched by a reputable independant biochemist in the F&B industry, I only know of one! :lol: If you find any more please let me know!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 2:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
JR8 wrote:Wow, don't really need a tidal wave of miracle-health-pills-wash. I mean where amongst all the overpriced bullshit do you start? Don't get me started on this phoney bull!

ps. you're up early this morning soldier. Rota for reveille? lol
Got up a 3 am. 3:30 drove over to the Senoko Fishery Port in Woodlands and bought around 2.5 dozen Mangrove Crabs (wanted Flower crabs but all were tiny and the moon's wrong anyway, but sod it, we felt like Chesapeake Bay style Steamed Crabs. So with half a dozen bottles of Old Bay Seasoning, couple cans of beer & a bottle of "vinegar" for the steam. I'll start steaming around 2'ish this avro. Son's birthday was on the 15th & mine's next Wed so we though we'd split the difference. Some cheddar cubes, Boiled Corn on the Cob, and a bit of Chili Crab (wife's must have!), french loaf for mopping up the gravy & beer to wash down the steamed crabs! Lookin' forward to this avro! :mrgreen:
That sounds yummy!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 2:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:JR8, bet you'll be careful what you ask for the next time. We forgot to tell you, ksl's even more long-winded that I am. Especially when it's a topic close to his heart (pun intended)..... :lol:

Or any topic, for that matter, even a rant against the British Government. :P
You know I think you are right! Long winded I guess its an age thingy SMS though you have a couple of years on me and I'll never catch you up :P :lol: :wink: Actually I think it maybe because I never see anyone all day every day only my daughter and she rarely listens, and the wife when she gets home from work after a 14 hr shift. I end up talking to myself while she's sleeping on the sofa, thinking of buying a parrot at least i will get a reply :roll:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 3:22 am

JR8 wrote:Well I never! I've previously tried to look into this matter but just drew a rather hazy blank, so thanks for that.

I've chewed coca leaves peasant-style quite extensively (entirely legally, for the Meninblack observing). I would certainly not describe it's effect as narcotic. If anything it acts as a temporary appetite suppressant, much like simply smoking a cigarette.

So coca leaves are used in Coke, that's amazing. Wonder who gives the heavier dose man, Coke or Pepsi... lol.
Just take a look at what goes into cigarettes over 500 additives.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotin ... dients.htm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 3:35 am

I have no doubt, but that wasn't the question.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 3:55 am

JR8 wrote:I have no doubt, but that wasn't the question.
Quite true, but interesting for those wondering why they have so much difficulty stopping smoking, and why so many enjoy it.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 4:17 am

ksl wrote:
JR8 wrote:I have no doubt, but that wasn't the question.
Quite true, but interesting for those wondering why they have so much difficulty stopping smoking, and why so many enjoy it.
Ah yes I see the train of thought!

I expect there is a tonic that will resolve all these ails, perhaps a vinegar based drink. Might you perchance be able to suggest one?

:) :wink:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 6:25 pm

The crab feast was well received. Not too many left (but they will be gone in a couple of hours as I wipe 'em out for dinner. My daughter & son just reallly pigged out on 'em - they take after the ole man! :mrgreen:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 7:00 pm

To the OP: I have something of an iron constitution, or as I like to brag, a heroic immune system and I pretty much never get sick. If I do, I'm over it in 24-36 hours. I didn't get sick at all when I came to Singapore until I moved to my new apartment, July 7th this year. Since then, the only time I haven't been sick was when I was in Thailand on vacation. There have been differing opinions on what has caused it, but one thing is for certain, it wasn't my maid, as I don't have one! I second SMS's recommendation of EV Disinfection. Good guy, and very knowledgeable.

hougangpeterlee

Post by hougangpeterlee » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 9:19 pm

poodlek wrote:To the OP: I have something of an iron constitution, or as I like to brag, a heroic immune system and I pretty much never get sick. If I do, I'm over it in 24-36 hours. I didn't get sick at all when I came to Singapore until I moved to my new apartment, July 7th this year. Since then, the only time I haven't been sick was when I was in Thailand on vacation. There have been differing opinions on what has caused it, but one thing is for certain, it wasn't my maid, as I don't have one! I second SMS's recommendation of EV Disinfection. Good guy, and very knowledgeable.
It is the S'porean air I tell you. Pure filth for someone like yourself. I am glad that the Thai air befits someone of your stature.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:07 pm

I mentioned earlier that I didn't recall getting sick in SG. But I did get allergies (which I don't for some reason consider an illness or sickness, more a 'condition' lol).

There is no doubt the air quality in SG is poor. You have a lot of molds due to the climate, pollen, particularly is you live on lower floors, dust from construction and soot from burning off forests in Indonesia.

Some days I'd wake up and my eyes were physically encrusted shut [sorry, not nice, but that's how it was]. I used to have spells of taking an antihistamine called Cetirizine (sp?) which helped, though I don't really like taking strong meds like that. It was reminiscent of the hay-fever I used to have in Europe in my early teens.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The crab feast was well received. Not too many left (but they will be gone in a couple of hours as I wipe 'em out for dinner. My daughter & son just reallly pigged out on 'em - they take after the ole man!
Woof! :)
Interesting how you strap down the pan lid, almost like some form of pressure cooker!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:56 pm

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The crab feast was well received. Not too many left (but they will be gone in a couple of hours as I wipe 'em out for dinner. My daughter & son just reallly pigged out on 'em - they take after the ole man!
Woof! :)
Interesting how you strap down the pan lid, almost like some form of pressure cooker!
Much simpler that than. It's to keep the lid on and the crabs in the pot. We only use live crabs and they are dry seasoned, e.g., a layer of crabs & then a layer of dry seasoning (Old Bay® Seasoning/seasalt - 50:50mixture), enough to cover the shells, then another and another until the crabs are all the way up to the top of the pot and the lid is needed to keep them from crawling about. once the lid is tied down tight (steam can still escape as there is no rubber seal) the crabs cannot crawl around and tear their legs, claws, etc. off in the process. (Unfortunately, that seems to happen anyway with the mangrove/mud crabs I used - instead of the blue crab). Otherwise you would have crabs crawling all over the yard/kitchen!

Dead crabs never go in the pot! Although if it makes one feel less like a murderer, you can stab them like the locals do before putting them in the pot, I suppose.

The mixture used for steaming? 50% Apple Cider Vinegar (ksl would be abhored) and 50% beer of your choice (ksl would be abhored again!) or 50% water. About two inches in the bottom of the pot. Crabs are on a rack above the liquid so only get steamed. Once the liquid comes to a boil, steam 'em for 20 to 30 minutes until the shells are bright orangish red with no greanish blotches. You eat 'em with your fingers, the seasoning become a mudpack on the outsides of the crab. Therefore every bite gets seasoned by touch and boy is it good! There were a balance of 7 crabs last night, I just finished eating 6 of those about 30 minutes ago!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 11:26 pm

Eenteresting!

Have you ever had Cromer crabs? (Cromer is in Norfolk UK, a place famous for it's crabs, but in the US it seems to be used as a name given to that type of crab).

I have a pot that size. Used for lobsters! Understand why you have it on the floor, I can't get mine between the hob/range and extractor hood either :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:42 am

JR8 wrote:Eenteresting!

Have you ever had Cromer crabs? (Cromer is in Norfolk UK, a place famous for it's crabs, but in the US it seems to be used as a name given to that type of crab).

I have a pot that size. Used for lobsters! Understand why you have it on the floor, I can't get mine between the hob/range and extractor hood either :)
I can get mine on the electric hotplate in the center of my hob and also on the large burner as well. But, unfortunately, that is a heavy guage stainless steel pot and not aluminium so needs a lot more BTU's than the normal range can supply, That unit on the floor is my burner for deep frying whole turkeys at one go. Best turkey you've ever eaten, guaranteed. However, that you ONLY do outside and make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy as well in case you drop the bird putting it into fryer (17 litres of canola oil heated to 185 C!) Normally takes around 2.5-3.5 minutes to lower the bird into the fryer. only take 25-30 minutes to fully cook at 7kg bird.

Return to “General Discussions”