Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore PR - How to really get it?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PRSEEKER

Singapore PR - How to really get it?

Postby PRSEEKER » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 6:09 pm

hi,
I've been following this wonderful forum for the past 1 yr. I learned a lot. Like everyone, I am impressed with beautiful Singapore. I am planning to apply for PR eventually ( Maybe after 3 or more yrs)

My wife is on P2 pass (IT contract) , working for a private bank since 2010 June, earning 5.2k. I am on dependent pass since June 2010.

Background information about my wife

Bachelor's degree holder with 5 yrs of experience in IT field.
Indian citizen
Canadian PR
Expecting a child
Planning to give birth in Singapore

Background information about Husband

Master's degree in Pharmacy (Canada)
Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy (India)
Canadian citizen (Indian origin)
Preparing for Pharmacy licensing exams to practice Pharmacy in Singapore. (It could take at least 2 yrs)

Strong points for PR application

Wife will be the primary applicant
Child born in Singapore will be included (I do not know the gender yet)
Wait at least for 3 or more yrs and then apply for PR, if on P2 pass
Wife working hard for permanent employment (currently on contract)
Husband is also working hard to get employed.
Planning to buy a condo, to make PR application stronger (of course it is possible only if both of us work, I mean financially)
I would love to contribute for the needy regardless of our PR application. Hate to do it just for a stronger PR application.

Weak points
Husband not working ( might apply as a dependent, if cannot get a job)
Could be a female child (do no know the gender, yet)
Condo is also a distant dream, if husband fails to get a job but 400 square feet condo can be still affordable.

Ready to wait even for 4 yrs before applying for PR, if needed.

Why Singapore? What happened to Canada? why not India? India is also a great place to live with less savings.

Buy a swift (Suzuki) car in India for just 12,000 SGD. (The same car is 80,000 SGD in Singapore). People can buy a private condo for $100,000 SGD in India. (1250 SQFT)

We both want to work in the same damn place. It has nothing to do with which country is better.

Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 7:23 pm

3 or 4 years from now? No telling. Today? No way. In fact, you already look like a PR abuser/collector. I'm sure ICA will see it the same way. But in 4 years, a lot can happen so you are going to have to have a lot of patience.

Citizenship there, ethnic origins somewhere, else, PR somewhere else now want PR here. Looks like a typical Subcontinent though process of which ICA has already seen too much of and are not trying to get rid of 'em. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting.

chandra19998

Postby chandra19998 » Tue, 23 Aug 2011 9:16 am

I was new and not knowing why there are many harsh posters against people asking for PR/citizenship etc, but after following this forum a while now I realized the problem. Majority of people asking the same questions here are from certain part of the world (such as subcontinent etc) and they tend to have PRs, citizenships all over the world and want to have it here too. They have no intention to stay here for good but just want to make the most out of it like buying houses with subsidy etc, getting kids to study free etc.. and then after a few years moved to USA, Canada, Australia etc. They ask everyone if they can be a PR after living here for 6 months to year and whether they can keep PR after collecting another citizenship.. Too many foreigners are trying to milk Singapore immigration systems and it make them shy out and stop giving out PR as easy as before.. I wonder why dont they have a quota system like in USA they have visa wait time for different countries, like Fillipino, India and China is nearly 20 years waiting for PR.. instead of just stop giving it out at all to everyone from any country

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:17 am

chandra19998 wrote:I was new and not knowing why there are many harsh posters against people asking for PR/citizenship etc, but after following this forum a while now I realized the problem. Majority of people asking the same questions here are from certain part of the world (such as subcontinent etc) and they tend to have PRs, citizenships all over the world and want to have it here too. They have no intention to stay here for good but just want to make the most out of it like buying houses with subsidy etc, getting kids to study free etc.. and then after a few years moved to USA, Canada, Australia etc. They ask everyone if they can be a PR after living here for 6 months to year and whether they can keep PR after collecting another citizenship.. Too many foreigners are trying to milk Singapore immigration systems and it make them shy out and stop giving out PR as easy as before.. I wonder why dont they have a quota system like in USA they have visa wait time for different countries, like Fillipino, India and China is nearly 20 years waiting for PR.. instead of just stop giving it out at all to everyone from any country

This.

The all-too-eager applicants are making it more difficult for everybody else.

DISCLAIMER: I'm Filipino and I've HAD it with my fellow country men making it difficult for sincere immigrants. I imagine there are Indians who feel the same way about fellow Indians.