Singapore Expats

Marina Bay sands/Skydeck a rip off?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Marina Bay sands/Skydeck a rip off?

Post by JR8 » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:44 am

Visiting SG as tourists recently, we found ourselves at MBS.

We decided to visit the Skydeck as, 'well, we're going to do it as some point, so since we are here'...

$20 pp. And you are confined to the little bit on the left. There is a bar up there but you're not allowed in wearing shorts (which of course many tourists are).

The view is ok, what you can see though the haze. Has anyone else been?

p.s. Does anyone understand the economics of commercial rent in SG? MBS has a vast mall, with all the usual names. It is just that there seems to be almost no customers there at all. How does this work? Clearly the mall can't have units simply closing down.... somehow this ghostland remains.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:48 am

As an aside, Pinnacle@Duxton--an HDB complex--charges 5 bucks for access to their sky deck.

So, it's not just the Ark.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:01 am

I don't object to paying for access (where ever it is). More about getting value for money.

Just felt MBS was rather a a rip-off.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:19 am

JR8 wrote:I don't object to paying for access (where ever it is). More about getting value for money.

The buffet is good though - a fine selection of delectable cuisine from around the world!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:27 am

BillyB wrote:
JR8 wrote:I don't object to paying for access (where ever it is). More about getting value for money.

The buffet is good though - a fine selection of delectable cuisine from around the world!
do you have to pay $20 for the lift?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:36 am

We've been there few months ago. I think $20 is more-less ok. It is like with all the new, iconic things everybody desire to see - it would be a sin not to explore the opportunity to rip the people off at least to some extent.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:59 am

JR8 wrote:
BillyB wrote:

do you have to pay $20 for the lift?
Ground floor, near the check-in reception, so no need :wink:

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 5:57 pm

I stayed there once for three nights. It's ok if you get to use the pool, but paying just to go up to that one piece of the sky deck is not worth it imo.

Best place to get a view, and a free one at that (higher then MBS even) is to go to the Swissotel The Stamford up to the New Asia bar. Plus they have happy hours called the Sundowner Special. Can't go wrong here. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 7:19 pm

aster wrote:I stayed there once for three nights. It's ok if you get to use the pool, but paying just to go up to that one piece of the sky deck is not worth it imo.

Best place to get a view, and a free one at that (higher then MBS even) is to go to the Swissotel The Stamford up to the New Asia bar. Plus they have happy hours called the Sundowner Special. Can't go wrong here. :)
I was having a similar discussion with a Brit just last week. He rated a bar at the top of the new SCB tower overlooking the marina, said the views are better than from MBS.

I've been to the bar up top of the Fairmont (my hotel of choice as it happens), they do, or used to, a mighty fine Wagyu burger. They also used to do $80 bottles of champagne during happy hour. I agree that the view up there is probably the best.

hougangpeterlee

Post by hougangpeterlee » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 7:38 pm

I don't think it is a rip-off. Most people who visit are not wide-eyed fools. You pay 20 SGD and you get a nice view of the CBD, what is so 'rip-offey' about that?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 7:56 pm

hougangpeterlee wrote:

I don't think it is a rip-off. Most people who visit are not wide-eyed fools. You pay 20 SGD and you get a nice view of the CBD, what is so 'rip-offey' about that?
You can get a better view from elsewhere for free.

Have you visited?

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 8:13 pm

I personally wouldn't think of spending $40 to bring my girlfriend there. Sounds at least twice as expensive as it should be. There are far more rewarding experiences for less money.
Best place to get a view, and a free one at that (higher then MBS even) is to go to the Swissotel The Stamford up to the New Asia bar. Plus they have happy hours called the Sundowner Special. Can't go wrong here.
This is spot on. Swissotel has a great view without the entrance free.

As well for a little bit more than MBS you can go onto the helipad for an open air view, and have a medal to show for it too.

(So long as you don't mind the walk with the upcoming Vertical Marathon :p)

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:12 pm

JR8 wrote:I've been to the bar up top of the Fairmont (my hotel of choice as it happens), they do, or used to, a mighty fine Wagyu burger. They also used to do $80 bottles of champagne during happy hour. I agree that the view up there is probably the best.
The Fairmont is connected to the Swissotel, but you do mean the New Asia bar that is up top of the Stamford, right?

The view there is amazing and instead of spending $20 for nothing you can spend your money on drinks. :)

As for Wagyu beef, it's the one thing about Japanese food that I disagree with completely. Gimme that lean, cherry-red, beautiful Aussie beef at 1/5 of the price or even 5x the price if need be. Anything but that Japanese lump of fat... ;)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:38 pm

aster wrote: The Fairmont is connected to the Swissotel, but you do mean the New Asia bar that is up top of the Stamford, right?

We're at risk of deviation here. It was called the Swissotel back in the 90's, trust me, I was shagging the Chairman's daughter lol.
I mean the New Asia bar on the 71st floor of the Fairmont...
The Stamford.... er, what era are these names from?

The view there is amazing and instead of spending $20 for nothing you can spend your money on drinks. :)

Yes quite right. That was my point

As for Wagyu beef, it's the one thing about Japanese food that I disagree with completely. Gimme that lean, cherry-red, beautiful Aussie beef at 1/5 of the price or even 5x the price if need be. Anything but that Japanese lump of fat... ;)

Nah. It all comes down to mouth-feel. And flavour transmission is all down to fats. So it's no surprise high fat beef is premium. In fact the USDA ranking has fatty meat in the top categories. (You didn't know that did you hehe)

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:41 am

Which tower used to be called "Raffles the Plaza?"

Either way, Swissotel and Fairmont belong to the same hotel group, and if I was to choose I would always pick the Swissotel Merchant Court in Clarke Quay as my hotel of choice. :)

I happen to hold their highest elite card btw, so no matter which Swissotel I choose to stay at... I still get free lounge access from 18-20 with all the booze I can handle. ;)