Singapore Expats Forum

Gay French Guy arriving to Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
FrenchyAsia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 19 Aug 2011
Location: Paris

Gay French Guy arriving to Singapore

Postby FrenchyAsia » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 9:39 pm

hello,

I am a French gay guy, 32 years old, and I am relocating to Singapore in October. I am looking for some people to give me advise and tips.

How is gay life in Singapore ?

How is my French partner going to get a visa ?

Please don't hesitate to contact me, Thank you for your help !

We could have a drink when arriving in Singapore in October, Me and my boyfriend are going to feel lost in a new city and we want to make some new friends.

A bientôt,

Frenchy Asia

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:07 pm

Oh merde, je just vomite.

User avatar
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed, 10 Jan 2007
Location: Still based in Singapore but wanders around...

Postby Asian_Geekette » Sat, 20 Aug 2011 1:49 pm

@FrenchAsia:

Congrats on your relocation. I hope you enjoy what Singapore has to offer. For tips/advice on housing, cost of living, etc, please feel free to use the search function because there are a lot of postings here about such topics. :)

Now, I hate to be the bearer of bad news... Officially, homosexuality is illegal in Singapore. Please check Section 377A of the Penal Code.

However there are GLBT-friendly places around the "pink triangle" (area within the walking distance of the MRT stations of Outram Park, Tanjong Pagar and Chinatown). Just use your eyes and look for the flag (you know what I mean).

I am not sure whether you can apply for a dependent's pass for your same-sex partner. Perhaps someone in this forum can shed light into this because most of the people I know who got dependent passes were in heterosexual long-term relationships.

Good luck and happy moving! :)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sat, 20 Aug 2011 2:28 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:@FrenchAsia:

Congrats on your relocation. I hope you enjoy what Singapore has to offer. For tips/advice on housing, cost of living, etc, please feel free to use the search function because there are a lot of postings here about such topics. :)

Now, I hate to be the bearer of bad news... Officially, homosexuality is illegal in Singapore. Please check Section 377A of the Penal Code.

However there are GLBT-friendly places around the "pink triangle" (area within the walking distance of the MRT stations of Outram Park, Tanjong Pagar and Chinatown). Just use your eyes and look for the flag (you know what I mean).

I am not sure whether you can apply for a dependent's pass for your same-sex partner. Perhaps someone in this forum can shed light into this because most of the people I know who got dependent passes were in heterosexual long-term relationships.

Good luck and happy moving! :)


Same sex couples were already discussed here; I don't remember the gist of them though but you can use the search function to look for those threads.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 20 Aug 2011 2:49 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:@FrenchAsia:
Now, I hate to be the bearer of bad news... Officially, homosexuality is illegal in Singapore. Please check Section 377A of the Penal Code.

Homosexuality is not illegal (how can it be?). What is illegal is what two adult homosexual males may want to do together (gross indecency) regardless publicly or in private.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Gay French Guy arriving to Singapore

Postby JR8 » Sat, 20 Aug 2011 3:44 pm

FrenchyAsia wrote:hello,

I am a French gay guy, 32 years old, and I am relocating to Singapore in October. I am looking for some people to give me advise and tips.

How is gay life in Singapore ?

There are very, very many gay people in Singapore. In fact it is not unusual to hear it described as amongst the gayest countries on earth. But as it fringes illegality it is generally kept behind closed doors


How is my French partner going to get a visa ?

By being legally certified as effectively your married partner. Use the Search button, it is discussed here at some length now and again.

Please don't hesitate to contact me, Thank you for your help !

We could have a drink when arriving in Singapore in October, Me and my boyfriend are going to feel lost in a new city and we want to make some new friends.

A bientôt,

Frenchy Asia

User avatar
enginette
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed, 17 Jun 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Gay French Guy arriving to Singapore

Postby enginette » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:19 am

JR8 wrote:There are very, very many gay people in Singapore. In fact it is not unusual to hear it described as amongst the gayest countries on earth.


Really? Ive never heard that before. You'd think with an accolade like that they'd be printing it on tourist brochures.
DD

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Gay French Guy arriving to Singapore

Postby nakatago » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:24 am

enginette wrote:
JR8 wrote:There are very, very many gay people in Singapore. In fact it is not unusual to hear it described as amongst the gayest countries on earth.


Really? Ive never heard that before. You'd think with an accolade like that they'd be printing it on tourist brochures.


You should stroll around Holland Village. Oi vei...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:26 am

Changi Village as well! :o

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 21 Aug 2008
Location: SG

Postby kookaburrah » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 6:16 pm

Frenchy, don't worry. Gay life is alive and well in Singapore. It may not be the Marais, but then again most places in Europe are not the Marais either..

Don't expect pride marches, rainbow flags, or grand public gestures - Singapore is not there yet [and won't be in the foreseeable future, I suspect]. Expect to be left alone if you stay out of people's faces. Which is fair enough, I say.

Without having looked into the matter, my first reaction would be to say that your partner would have to get his visa on his own merit - I'd be surprised if Singapore would recognise gay marriages/unions when countries like Italy do not. Look it up in the forum - in among the many biased answers there will be a few helpful ones, I'm sure. :wink:

And don't be put out by the cleverness - the forum really IS helpful.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 6:34 pm

kookaburrah wrote:Without having looked into the matter, my first reaction would be to say that your partner would have to get his visa on his own merit - I'd be surprised if Singapore would recognise gay marriages/unions when countries like Italy do not.


SG is not Italy, and SG have issued dependent passes to gay spouses.

As mentioned it has been discussed before, you just need to use the Search button.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 21 Aug 2008
Location: SG

Postby kookaburrah » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:00 am

JR8 wrote:SG is not Italy, and SG have issued dependent passes to gay spouses.

As mentioned it has been discussed before, you just need to use the Search button.


I stand corrected. Thanks for the information, JR8. That is useful to know.

User avatar
werder
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue, 13 May 2008
Location: Singapore/London

Postby werder » Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:57 am

SG is worse than Italy.

SG Does not issue dependent passes for same sex couples. We have tried and now safely back on UK !

Do not rely on this forum, ask your embassy , SG are such hypocrites.

They let one friend coming back every 3 months on a tourist visa for more than 3 years, once he confessed to the immigration officer.

If SG would really issue dependent passes it will have to be published. Mind you if any loophole was known.....

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 12 Jun 2012 2:03 am

werder wrote:SG Does not issue dependent passes for same sex couples.


Er, yes it does. Perhaps it'd be better not suggesting your own negative experience is 'the rule' that applies to all that might follow you?

User avatar
werder
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue, 13 May 2008
Location: Singapore/London

Postby werder » Tue, 12 Jun 2012 4:15 pm

Funny you should say that. Do you have proof ! Do you work for this so called " guided democracy" ?


My experience was indeed negative because of the hypocrisy.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Events, Gatherings, Making Friends”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests