Singapore Expats Forum

Queries

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MMS_RR

Queries

Postby MMS_RR » Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:43 pm

Hi all,

Good evening.

I have some doubts that i hope the experienced forumers here could guide me on.

Situation
I am a singaporean and my wife is a foreigner(china). She is currently on LTVP. She is seeking employment at the moment and the most probably be holding a work permit.

Queries
1) Does she have to surrender her LTVP after getting her work permit?

2) Can she study while holding onto a work permit?

Thank you for taking your time to read my post

Good Nights

Best Regards,
RR[/u]

BazaY

Postby BazaY » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:15 pm

Queries

you can not have 2 passes at same time.
They will not issue the EP without first canceling the LTVP.

Process is like this:
1. you get the LTVP.
2. you look for a job and you find one.
3. the company applies for EP.
4. the EP gets approved: "In Principle Approval"
5. you cancel the LTVP.
6. they will issue the EP. (print the pastic)

of course, if you do not find a job or the EP is rejected, she will still have the LTVP.
Once the EP is approved, there is no risk in not getting the plastic.

best of luck!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:49 pm

Not quite correct. You don't have to cancel the LTVP. When the WP is issued they will automatically cancel the LTVP for you.

BazaY

Postby BazaY » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:06 pm

I was told the same initially by several people, including HR in my company.
MPM then said to cancel the LTVP before they can issue the EP. I was concerned about loosing the LTVP before having the EP in hand. It was proved to be a false concern.

bottom-line: Do no cancel the LTVP before you get the In Principle Approval for EP and you're told by MOM to cancel the old pass.

hope this helps.

lostworld

Postby lostworld » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 4:25 pm

trying to understand as quite blur newbie - so what u guys mention EP is the same thing aka WP ?? thanks. :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 4:48 pm

EP is a higher level WP with more privileges attached to it (qualifications & income minimums are quite a bit higher as well). You don't need permission to marry an EP holder but you do need permission from MOM to marry a WP holder (however, this does not apply in your case so you can start breathing again!) :wink: . But is does apply to WP holders who wish to marry a Singaporean after they have/are worked/working on a WP.

lostworld

Postby lostworld » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 7:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:EP is a higher level WP with more privileges attached to it (qualifications & income minimums are quite a bit higher as well). You don't need permission to marry an EP holder but you do need permission from MOM to marry a WP holder (however, this does not apply in your case so you can start breathing again!) :wink: . But is does apply to WP holders who wish to marry a Singaporean after they have/are worked/working on a WP.

i see thanks.. i shall ask experts like u again when i got details of my future-wife.. :)

ap 4POT

Re: Queries

Postby ap 4POT » Sun, 02 Oct 2011 3:48 pm

MMS_RR wrote:Hi all,

Good evening.

I have some doubts that i hope the experienced forumers here could guide me on.

Situation
I am a singaporean and my wife is a foreigner(china). She is currently on LTVP. She is seeking employment at the moment and the most probably be holding a work permit.

Queries

2) Can she study while holding onto a work permit?

Thank you for taking your time to read my post

Good Nights

Best Regards,
RR[/u]

the company that hires your wife can do it instantly online via MOM website for employer.u can hold on to LTSVP till MOM sends u a letter for fingerprint and photo-taking. wait for another week for collection of work permit and return LTSVP to the officer who issue u the work permit.

in future when your wife decided to revert back to LTSVP, go down to ICA level4 fill in the LTSVP form and indicate has been issue LTSVP before.

at counter, submit forms, produce passport and fill in white card. paid 40 bucks (if i rem correctly) for short term visa, most likely one month stamp. at this time rem to return the work permit to the company.they will submit for u.you can submit your self too.

wait 2-4weeks, bring approved letter of LTSVP to ICA, Q and paid 60 bucks and u hav back your LTSVP.
keep smiling :)