Singapore Expats Forum

No reply on PR yet!!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:16 am

I have been struck since posting here at how many citizens from the sub-continent appear to PR and/or Citizenship-shop.

In some respects it seems rather blind 'Indian citizen, SG PR, should I apply Australia too?', i.e. for no clear reason, just a blur drive of getting concurrent residency entitlements in as many places as possible.

Is there a rationale to this? Just curious.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:23 am

JR8 wrote:I have been struck since posting here at how many citizens from the sub-continent appear to PR and/or Citizenship-shop.

In some respects it seems rather blind 'Indian citizen, SG PR, should I apply Australia too?', i.e. for no clear reason, just a blur drive of getting concurrent residency entitlements in as many places as possible.

Most people from developing countries also fall in that category of PR/Citizenship shoppers. Just that Indians happen to know English and hence can participate in forums like these :wink:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:30 am

revhappy wrote:
JR8 wrote:I have been struck since posting here at how many citizens from the sub-continent appear to PR and/or Citizenship-shop.

Most people from developing countries also fall in that category of PR/Citizenship shoppers. Just that Indians happen to know English and hence can participate in forums like these :wink:

As a Filipino, all I can say is our country's the shits right now.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:33 am

nakatago wrote:As a Filipino, all I can say is our country's the shits right now.

And again in English? :?

p.s. Rev, thanks for the laugh.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:53 am

I dunno, Filipinos speak much better English than Indians in my experience (despite Nakatago's post above :wink: ) but we don't have an influx of them asking about applying for PR/citizenship on every continent here
I HAVE MASTERS!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:04 pm

JayCee wrote:I dunno, Filipinos speak much better English than Indians in my experience (despite Nakatago's post above :wink: ) but we don't have an influx of them asking about applying for PR/citizenship on every continent here

Uh yeah, I went out to buy lunch and I thought I should have said that too. But there you go.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 2:31 pm

JayCee wrote:I dunno, Filipinos speak much better English than Indians in my experience (despite Nakatago's post above :wink: ) but we don't have an influx of them asking about applying for PR/citizenship on every continent here

I agree Filipinos speak better English and have better interpersonal skills than Indians. You also need to take the size of the population into account 1.3 Billion vs 93 Million.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 2:40 pm

revhappy wrote:

You need to take the size of the population into account 1.3 Billion vs 93 Million.

Actually, not too many Filipinos are comfortable going on the internet asking non-Filipinos about PR/citizenship. There would be plenty on other forums but they'll be in Tagalog. Or Cebuano.

I'm guessing there's a lot in PinoySG (I barely go there, though) asking about PR but barely here.

So, why am I here? I was looking for a flat then, stumbled upon some interesting posts and the rest is history. I thought I'd expand my immersion outside of the Filipino community and/or people from work.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 4:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
revhappy wrote:
JayCee wrote:
revhappy wrote:There are lots of such people who applied PR for themselves when they were single and their spouse PR has been rejected and I would say they are the worst hit. A huge chunk of their salary is getting locked into CPF and in return they cant even buy an HDB house, so what use was the PR in that case?

So they could stay here permanently? :?

No. Most of them took up took PR as an Insurance against job loss. But I guess the premium is way too high, unless you buy a HDB.

This is the very group I, personally, want to see gone. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but PR stands as "Permanent" and staying here for any other reason, depriving those who WANT to reside here permanently, is PR abuse as far as I'm concerned. Most already know how I feel about PR abuse. They make it harder for everybody else.

I have to contradict SMS here: Seeking an assurance that one can stay on after losing the job IS in my view a legitimate step towards permanence. Those who are only here for the money would leave as soon as they lose the salary.

And for revhappy: I don't understand how you (and others) can treat CPF as a loss? It is (forced) savings for worthy causes (that one would anyway have to provide for), gets a decent interest and is (in my opinion) a very safe investment. I became PR mostly because then I COULD contribute to CPF!

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 4:59 pm

beppi wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
revhappy wrote:
JayCee wrote:
revhappy wrote:There are lots of such people who applied PR for themselves when they were single and their spouse PR has been rejected and I would say they are the worst hit. A huge chunk of their salary is getting locked into CPF and in return they cant even buy an HDB house, so what use was the PR in that case?

So they could stay here permanently? :?

No. Most of them took up took PR as an Insurance against job loss. But I guess the premium is way too high, unless you buy a HDB.

This is the very group I, personally, want to see gone. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but PR stands as "Permanent" and staying here for any other reason, depriving those who WANT to reside here permanently, is PR abuse as far as I'm concerned. Most already know how I feel about PR abuse. They make it harder for everybody else.

I have to contradict SMS here: Seeking an assurance that one can stay on after losing the job IS in my view a legitimate step towards permanence. Those who are only here for the money would leave as soon as they lose the salary.

And for revhappy: I don't understand how you (and others) can treat CPF as a loss? It is (forced) savings for worthy causes (that one would anyway have to provide for), gets a decent interest and is (in my opinion) a very safe investment. I became PR mostly because then I COULD contribute to CPF!

Thats because I dont need someone to force me to save. I know how to manage my own money :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 5:20 pm

That's what they all say....

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:14 pm

revhappy wrote: You also need to take the size of the population into account.

This is something we Brits in Singapore also have to do.

8" versus 3"

azp123
Regular
Regular

Postby azp123 » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 7:09 pm

+1 to beppi for the first point.