Singapore Expats Forum

Wrong Data Entry during Pass Issuance on EPONLINE- Need Help

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
rk1977_in

Wrong Data Entry during Pass Issuance on EPONLINE- Need Help

Postby rk1977_in » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:28 am

Dear All,
I seek advice on my question from all gurus here as to how I should proceed further.

Actually, I applied for my Father In Law LTVP two months back where it got approved and he joined us last month through Short term Entry Vist Pass issued as a rule for 30 days.

I was issuing his pass online through EP Online and wrongly entered "Type of Immigration Pass" field as 'Long Term Visit Pass' instead of 'Short Term Visit Pass' on Step # 2 (Issue Details) as I thought it is asking me as to what Type of Immigration Pass I am requesting for my parent. Moreover, once wrongly selected , It ask user next to enter 'Pass Expirty Date' when there is no LTVP attached to my Father FIN #. To my surprise, This is a Govt Website and it doesn't even stop user from completing transaction even though it is not correct as my father FIN # issued as Fresh recently. Moreover, It shows warning text on top of it which goes like i.e. "PLEASE ENSURE THAT THE INFORMATION ENTERED UNDER THIS SECTION IS CORRECT OTHERWISE THE DESCREPANCY WILL RESULT IN ASSIGNING WRONG TYPE OF PASS OR WRONG DATA TO THE FORIEGNER. THIS WILL AFFECT THE FORIEGNER'S CLEARANCE AT IMMIGRATION CHECKPOINTS IF THE DATA ERROR IS NOT RECTIFIED. THE COST OF RECTIFYING THE ERROR IN BOTH OUR SYSTEMS AND ICA WHICH IS ESTIMATED TO BE AROUND $400 SHALL BE BORNE BY YOU OR YOUR ORGANINZATION."

I called EPSC Customer care immediately after I made a mistake and they say simply i.e. Just because I entered it wrongly, I have to pay panelty and that too 400 $ whenever I go to EPSC for finger printing next week. I was also told that I will have to write a letter of explaination as to why I made this mistake during pass issuance.

I would like to ask all guru's here i.e. Is it fair at first place from Govt authorities ? I think these Web Sites who belong to Govt especially should have strong business logic and must stop end users from making such kind of mistakes by checking it through back end data stored in their databases for a particular FIN # .

I am an IT Proffessional working in software industry for more than 12 years and quite embarrased to see these kind of silly functionalities and too at statutory level websites. Sorry to Say but I don't have any other words and it looks like these are included to just make money from people coming here in Singapore.

Can anyone advise if this panelty can be waved off by highlighting my above concerns if I raised to EPSC Officer/ Head whenever I go there next week.
Appreciate if you can share your experiences/Incidents in the past and what actions were taken by anyone who was Forigener/PR or even citizen here. I will not be surprised if someone share that I am not the first one here to face this issue.

Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Best Regards,
RK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 7:06 am

When I applied for an EPEC a few years back the rules were that you could qualify based on being a graduate of a recognised institution, or by having a Skilled Migrant Visa/s from other recognised countries.

You could only apply online.

The online application required that on page one you entered where you had graduated university. Er, but hang on! If you wanted to go down the SMV route you couldn't, as those details were required on page 2, that it would not let you procede to.

When the queen bee has announced with much fanfare and PR releases that they have an all singing and all dancing shiny new e-application site, you can be sure the worker-bees will not accept that it is not perfect in every way. Customer services met my calls with those kind of nervous laughs of disbelief and denial.

The escalation process took months. Eventually I ended up being told to fudge data into page one in order to get to page two. And then on page three in the free-form notes section explaining what I had done. To get that far took me certainly four months.

SGn efficiency.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 9:48 am

rk1977_in,

Let me see if I've got this straight. You were filing an online application and you noticed a statement at the top of the page warning you what would happen in you made a mistake on entry of the forms online. So, instead of paying attention to the warning, and maybe writing down the required answers you just proceeded and did not bother to proofread your entries BEFORE hitting the "Proceed" / "Next" / "Submit" / "Continue" button. And you only realized it after you got your masters degree.

Is it fair? If you were notified up front, and you still proceeded without proofing what you wrote? Yes. It is. If you are told you will have to pay for the crystal if you insist on picking up up and subsequently drop it, for no other reason but carelessness, and you pick it up and play with it and drop it. It is right? Sure it wasn't deliberate. But guess what! It's their playground and their rules. You wanna play, you gonna have to play by their rules. Otherwise, I'm sure they won't force you to stay here.

I'm embarrassed that an IT professional cannot follow directions.......

Seems it might work like most MS products doesn't it.
:-|

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm embarrassed that an IT professional cannot follow directions.......

Embarrassed but not surprised, a large amount of people calling themselves IT professionals can barely manage to turn on a PC let alone much else. I won't mention where most of them are from.
I HAVE MASTERS!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:57 am

JayCee wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm embarrassed that an IT professional cannot follow directions.......

Embarrassed but not surprised, a large amount of people calling themselves IT professionals can barely manage to turn on a PC let alone much else. I won't mention where most of them are from.

me am an IT proffessional, but I was amused when a colleague called and asked me to escalate to vendor when he couldn't connect to LAN. When I asked him if i could check the cable - he was shocked .. that IT people can do "Checking Cable" :D

well, in my 14 years in IT, I have seen enough IT Experts, who sit tight, when the PC Says "PLEASE WAIT" .. instead of wondering if the PC hanged being silent for an hour so ..

Oh, forgot, they earn twice or thrice as my pay ...

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Re: Wrong Data Entry during Pass Issuance on EPONLINE- Need

Postby revhappy » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:31 am

rk1977_in wrote:Dear All,
I seek advice on my question from all gurus here as to how I should proceed further.

Actually, I applied for my Father In Law LTVP two months back where it got approved and he joined us last month through Short term Entry Vist Pass issued as a rule for 30 days.

I was issuing his pass online through EP Online and wrongly entered "Type of Immigration Pass" field as 'Long Term Visit Pass' instead of 'Short Term Visit Pass' on Step # 2 (Issue Details) as I thought it is asking me as to what Type of Immigration Pass I am requesting for my parent. Moreover, once wrongly selected , It ask user next to enter 'Pass Expirty Date' when there is no LTVP attached to my Father FIN #. To my surprise, This is a Govt Website and it doesn't even stop user from completing transaction even though it is not correct as my father FIN # issued as Fresh recently. Moreover, It shows warning text on top of it which goes like i.e. "PLEASE ENSURE THAT THE INFORMATION ENTERED UNDER THIS SECTION IS CORRECT OTHERWISE THE DESCREPANCY WILL RESULT IN ASSIGNING WRONG TYPE OF PASS OR WRONG DATA TO THE FORIEGNER. THIS WILL AFFECT THE FORIEGNER'S CLEARANCE AT IMMIGRATION CHECKPOINTS IF THE DATA ERROR IS NOT RECTIFIED. THE COST OF RECTIFYING THE ERROR IN BOTH OUR SYSTEMS AND ICA WHICH IS ESTIMATED TO BE AROUND $400 SHALL BE BORNE BY YOU OR YOUR ORGANINZATION."

I called EPSC Customer care immediately after I made a mistake and they say simply i.e. Just because I entered it wrongly, I have to pay panelty and that too 400 $ whenever I go to EPSC for finger printing next week. I was also told that I will have to write a letter of explaination as to why I made this mistake during pass issuance.

I would like to ask all guru's here i.e. Is it fair at first place from Govt authorities ? I think these Web Sites who belong to Govt especially should have strong business logic and must stop end users from making such kind of mistakes by checking it through back end data stored in their databases for a particular FIN # .

I am an IT Proffessional working in software industry for more than 12 years and quite embarrased to see these kind of silly functionalities and too at statutory level websites. Sorry to Say but I don't have any other words and it looks like these are included to just make money from people coming here in Singapore.

Can anyone advise if this panelty can be waved off by highlighting my above concerns if I raised to EPSC Officer/ Head whenever I go there next week.
Appreciate if you can share your experiences/Incidents in the past and what actions were taken by anyone who was Forigener/PR or even citizen here. I will not be surprised if someone share that I am not the first one here to face this issue.

Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Best Regards,
RK

Its a "nice to have" to have validations in a website, but certainly not a must have. You made the mistake of entering wrong pass type and you should be grateful if the authorities let you correct your mistake with just a fine and without much inconvinience. Be happy.

How does it work in your own country?Do they even have a website to display basic information, leave alone issuing a visa online. How long does it take to get a passport and how about those bribes you need to pay? And when you go through all the red tape and how long does it take to get it? And if you do make a mistake in the application, you are done for.

So be happy and stop whining.

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 3:19 pm

We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.

This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, ‘THE RIGHT TO LEAVE’.’

If you aren’t happy here then LEAVE. We didn’t force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted

Australian PM Julia Gillard said the above.

I like her last statement
If you aren’t happy here then LEAVE

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 3:21 pm

therat wrote:Australian PM Julia Gillard said the above.

Ouch ouch... ouch .. :D :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 3:28 pm

therat wrote:If you aren’t happy here then LEAVE

The guy is complaining about a government website, and your answer is he leaves the country.

Get a grip will you! :roll:

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 4:20 pm

JR8 wrote:
therat wrote:If you aren’t happy here then LEAVE

The guy is complaining about a government website, and your answer is he leaves the country.

Get a grip will you! :roll:

TS is questioning about the government authorities, not just the website alone.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Re: Wrong Data Entry during Pass Issuance on EPONLINE- Need

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 4:30 pm

rk1977_in wrote:

How long are you in SG? Do you know that many of the Govt IT Systems here are highly integrated and are more efficient than the IT systems in other countries. Only very few systems here are not integrated.

Dont blame the system here. Why cant you think that you made the mistake despite the warning given to you to enter correctly?

If it was possible for them to check for a validation during data entry, they would have already done it. Since there might be a limitation they are highlighting it to the user. even then if you are making a mistake like that, then it is your fault and not the IT system fault.

check with them politely when you are there at the epsc and they might try to help you. If you are going to talk so much there, then when is your EP renewal coming up? Looks like you have a PEP right?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 5:22 pm

therat wrote:TS is questioning about the government authorities, not just the website alone.

Of course he is :roll:

And so it is only right that he leave the country, immediately.

:lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 5:46 pm

JR8 wrote:
therat wrote:TS is questioning about the government authorities, not just the website alone.

Of course he is :roll:

And so it is only right that he leave the country, immediately.

:lol:

Ya think? :cool:

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 5:50 pm

therat wrote:
We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.

This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, ‘THE RIGHT TO LEAVE’.’

If you aren’t happy here then LEAVE. We didn’t force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted

Australian PM Julia Gillard said the above.

The basic problem with the statement above is that what actually the expats complain in Singapore about is what the Singapore government has been trying to change in their own citizens already for years. Probably hardly applicable to our OP but as you used a canon to hit the sparrow....