Singapore Expats

Our World Today

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Our World Today

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:27 pm

"As we become increasingly isolated from one another human being's self-importance grows. It is, unfortunately, an outgrowth of freedom and independence. People have a harder time becoming cogs in the machine because they have connections to their immediate family, two or three friends, and not much else. Our communities are not as close-knit as they once were. We no longer depend on each other for the simple things in life, and as a result of caring only for ourselves we also experience feelings of importance. And while there trail-blazers, leaders, and visionaries, the vast majority of humans were not built to operate that way. Nor are there supposed to be that many chiefs amongst the Indians."

I found this interesting comment. I grew up in a shophouse and later moved to HDB. I only lived in the HDB for a couple of years before moving to US for the next 20 yrs. It was delightful when the family clan got together last year and for some they have not seen each other over 2 decades ago and new generations of cousins that I never even knew exisited. Why don't they do this more often? Afterall, SG is a small country and distance should not be a deterent.

In the old days we would have gatherings thru out the year, around once every two months. There was always an occassion or festivities to celebarate, usually in reverence to the seniors of the family, birthday of grandparents, their death anniversaries etc.... They all gather under our roof as that was the house that my aunts and uncles grew up in and the abode of matriarch and patriarch. And my mom would spend days preparing the feast leading up to the actual event. We can easily have over 30 guests, the endless gossips, feastings, kids playing in the yard.......

Those were the days. Now, they mostly stay within their own little world and hardly get together anymore. And it is hard to get hold of them as they always seem so busy with their own lives.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:32 pm

Cool story, bro. :P
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:55 pm

nakatago wrote:Cool story, bro. :P
Whats with mods digging up 6 year old posts aptly titled "Our world TODAY"????? :P
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:02 am

intellectualsmuse wrote:
nakatago wrote:Cool story, bro. :P
Whats with mods digging up 6 year old posts aptly titled "Our world TODAY"????? :P
A little burnt out this evening, IM?

What do you mean 6 year old post? it was posted about half an hour before you posted your message? Sure you aren't looking at Earthfriendly's registration date instead of the time stamp of the post? :wink: :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:08 am

Just play this video (http://youtu.be/n7TLTjqUyog) while you read EF's post.

:D
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:13 am

I think IM has drank a few too many Mango Lassi's :lol:

That's the modern world. The wants take over your life.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 8:23 pm

raden888 wrote:I think IM has drank a few too many Mango Lassi's :lol:

That's the modern world. The wants take over your life.
They spiked my lassis!!! :D
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Our World Today

Post by JR8 » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 9:49 pm

earthfriendly wrote:" Nor are there supposed to be that many chiefs amongst the Indians."
That reminds me of an argument put forward in a book I read that serfs (indentured labour) were in some respects happier in their lives because they knew the limits of where their opportunities might take them.

Versus today's modern worker on whom there is theoretically no limit, and very many do not reach their aspirations, leading to perpetual stress and anxiety.

The book Status Anxiety by Alain de Botton.
edit to add:
It was also a TV series...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CERfoDIU2Yw
Status Anxiety Pt. 1 (1 of 5)

Not the best film quality, not that that matters, it is the narrative that matters.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:10 am

My daughter is strong will and fiercely independent. One of her fav phrase is "you are not the boss of me" and absolutely hate to be told what to do. I thought I was doing her a favor by giving her all the choices and freedom so she can have the space to grow into her own. I just found out we need to set more limits and restrictions for her. She is a bit calmer now that she knows the limit and does not need to test as much.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 12:11 pm

Maybe it really isn't the modern lifestyle that causes the inwardness. Humans have a tendency to be inward looking. It is just easier to stick to the tried and true with people and environment that is familiar to you.

I thought people who live close to agriculture would be easy going and life-embracing.
Last edited by earthfriendly on Sat, 05 Nov 2011 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 12:35 pm

[quote="earthfriendly"]
And I learnt that I should be mindful of my own thoughts. When I am uncomfortable seeing 2 males kissing and holding hands, should I immediately think of the term “faggots”

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 12:49 pm

Small town/village xenophobia is a well known phenomena present around for ages. Nothing really surprising. People will act this way towards anybody who does not belong to their small community, be it the same country outsider or a foreigner. The more stranger the person is to them the more anathema (s)he will get.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 5:42 pm

Your insights have been very helpful. It is good therapy and the beauty of it all, it is free :P . A big thank you to all.

Even before this move, I was getting weary of suburbian life and thought something more countryish would be a nice change. Life's never perfect. Perhaps I should try to live in a tribe. I suffer from seasonal disorder (SAD) and it is getting worse with each passing year. I may have to get medication for this year. If I have a choice, I will live in a place without winters.

SAD + insomnia = zombie life

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 6:02 pm

x9200 wrote:Small town/village xenophobia is a well known phenomena present around for ages.
It is really not such a small town, population around 85k.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 6:52 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Your insights have been very helpful. It is good therapy and the beauty of it all, it is free :P . A big thank you to all.

Even before this move, I was getting weary of suburbian life and thought something more countryish would be a nice change. Life's never perfect. Perhaps I should try to live in a tribe. I suffer from seasonal disorder (SAD) and it is getting worse with each passing year. I may have to get medication for this year. If I have a choice, I will live in a place without winters.

SAD + insomnia = zombie life
I get SAD too, winter is coming oh woopy-woo! :(

In a nutshell 'I understand'! :-|