Singapore Expats

What will happen to PR if my citizenship changed

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
livehappily4evr

What will happen to PR if my citizenship changed

Post by livehappily4evr » Tue, 09 Aug 2011 1:18 am

Dear All,

I am currently holding PR status in Singapore and my renewal is in another 4 years time.

I am currently holding Asian passport.

If i happen to get Canada Citizenship or Australian Citizenship what will happen to my Singapore PR status ?

Will it get transferred to new Passport ?

What is the process like ?

Please advice

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Aug 2011 11:14 am

It will be canceled, and rightly so, as the act of giving up your Asian passport for a Canadian or Australian one, will be tantamount to telling Singapore you are just abusing PR here because if you wanted to be a "Permanent" resident, you would have applied for citizenship in Singapore.

I'll bet your current passport is from the sub-continent isn't it...... :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

livehappily4evr

Post by livehappily4evr » Tue, 09 Aug 2011 4:03 pm

Hi sundaymorningstaple thanks for your reply

It will be great if you could point me to some posts or threads or webpage in ICA website that has already stated clearly about this.

Thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Aug 2011 10:35 pm

Nah, I rather you just went ahead and did it. Then we would be rid of one more PR abuser....... :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:26 am

I could be wrong, but there is a function which allows you to transfer your REP to a different passport, maybe you can use that..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 1:32 pm

I think you will find that is to transfer it to a new passport e.g., after the old one has/is expiring. Not a new country. I could be wrong, but I hope not.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 2:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think you will find that is to transfer it to a new passport e.g., after the old one has/is expiring. Not a new country. I could be wrong, but I hope not.
+ 1. It would be to a new passport of the same country that issued it. If you change your nationality they may reassess your whole case during REP renewal and there is a very good chance that you will lose the PR.

nismavrik

Re: What will happen to PR if my citizenship changed

Post by nismavrik » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:27 pm

livehappily4evr wrote:Dear All,

I am currently holding PR status in Singapore and my renewal is in another 4 years time.

I am currently holding Asian passport.

If i happen to get Canada Citizenship or Australian Citizenship what will happen to my Singapore PR status ?

Will it get transferred to new Passport ?

What is the process like ?

Please advice
Change your nationality first and then take the SPR. If you have taken the SPR then you are done dear. Its non negotiable and non portable across Countries.

Permanent Resident = NON PORTABLE ! :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2011 6:46 am

Hopefully, they won't allow a transfer, as it will show ICA that you have absolutely no intent to become a "Permanent" Resident. Therefore, you should not have it transferred and should be ejected from the country for taking up PR under false pretences.