Singapore Expats

Anyone been to Cebu?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Anyone been to Cebu?

Post by Tigerslayer » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:11 pm

I'm heading there for a long weekend and want to fit in as much as possible.

I haven't really done any diving or snorkeling before but I hear it is a great place to do so

Has anyone been before? What would you recommend to be the 'must see / do' items? Anything to avoid?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Anyone been to Cebu?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:29 am

Tigerslayer wrote:I'm heading there for a long weekend and want to fit in as much as possible.

I haven't really done any diving or snorkeling before but I hear it is a great place to do so

Has anyone been before? What would you recommend to be the 'must see / do' items? Anything to avoid?
going alone or with company ?? :D :D

that makes a lot of difference .

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 1:35 pm

Its a trip for two with my girlfriend :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 2:54 pm

Tigerslayer wrote:Its a trip for two with my girlfriend :)
And your girl friend is from ?? :) :)

I guess if you have what you have in mind, shouldn't be bad

After all, a 3 day tour elsewhere becomes 6 days in Philippines, when you add in travel time, and this and that ..

Must see : depends on your interest ..

Must avoid: getting yourself conned (though you have less chance of it happening in Cebu vis-a-vis Manila .. )

eysi_weysi

Post by eysi_weysi » Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:38 am

Have you booked a resort yet? If not, i suggest you go to Malapascua, northern part of Cebu. Where thresher shark is known to be sighted by many divers.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:39 am

wikitravel not cutting it for you?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Sat, 13 Aug 2011 5:56 pm

LOL Nakatago you should just close the Travel part of this forum and maybe put a big link to wikitravel instead... If you weren't a moderator I would start suspecting you had some sort of vested interest in that site :tongue:

In answer.. Wikitravel is indeed a source of information... an alternate source of information would also be the people of this forum who enjoy discussing their travel experiences... who wouldn't want a second (or hundredth) opinion?

Have you booked a resort yet? If not, i suggest you go to Malapascua, northern part of Cebu. Where thresher shark is known to be sighted by many divers.
Thanks for your reply eysi_weysi

We actually booked one not far from Moalboal. We will mostly be doing a bit of snorkeling but neither of us have done much of this so its going to be a learning experience.

We would like to see any cultural or natural sights that might not be so well documented... We also like to try different places to eat and haven't yet had any good recommendations for restaurants.

Any recommendations on the above are welcome :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 13 Aug 2011 6:33 pm

Tigerslayer wrote:LOL Nakatago you should just close the Travel part of this forum and maybe put a big link to wikitravel instead... If you weren't a moderator I would start suspecting you had some sort of vested interest in that site :tongue:

In answer.. Wikitravel is indeed a source of information... an alternate source of information would also be the people of this forum who enjoy discussing their travel experiences... who wouldn't want a second (or hundredth) opinion?

Thanks for your reply eysi_weysi

We actually booked one not far from Moalboal. We will mostly be doing a bit of snorkeling but neither of us have done much of this so its going to be a learning experience.

We would like to see any cultural or natural sights that might not be so well documented... We also like to try different places to eat and haven't yet had any good recommendations for restaurants.

Any recommendations on the above are welcome :)
What you were asking was very broad. If you asked for something more specific, I'd wouldn't point to a site. By the way, a previous mod had a stake in wikitravel press. For what it's worth, I'd recommend lonely planet if you just needed general information (i.e. power plugs, geogaphy currency), trip advisor if you want reviews. But what you were asking for, in my experience, can be found in wikitravel and would be enough to narrow things down and let you ask more targeted questions.

For example, I could recommend Magellan's cross or the beaches or you could buy a guitar or see the dancing prisoners or anything but you didn't so I just better point you to a site that does a better job of laying these things out than I would. I think ecureilx's first two responses pretty much reflect the amount of information to be culled.

C'mon; you've been around here long enough.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Sat, 13 Aug 2011 6:56 pm

I am really open to all suggestions, and will take or leave any of them based on preference. Being too specific may mean that someone with a great experience that i might not usual go for would not share and I would miss out.

This thread could then be a good resource for others going to Cebu without being tailored to myself.

Be it buying a guitar, watching dancing prisoners (really?? :shock:), or magellan's cross.

I would just like to collate other forummers experiences in Cebu especially since most people will have lived in Singapore prior to traveling there and could point out some interesting contrasting experiences to be had.