Singapore Expats

Rock music (pubs, gigs)

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
KarenF

Rock music (pubs, gigs)

Post by KarenF » Sun, 07 Aug 2011 7:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I just arrived here last week from Belgium (27/F) and would like to find out if there are any pubs where they play rock/metal music, and/or places with regular gigs?

I'll have to work a lot here, but would really love to go out for a drink or gig once in a while. So if you're interested, let me know.

Cheers,

Karen

gizartious

Post by gizartious » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 9:43 am

Hey Karen,

Drop me an email if you are at a loose end. There is a couple of places I know of HardRock Cafe have live bands most nights and a bar down Boat Quay I happened upon the other day! I am relatively new here (3 weeks) and so still finding people to hang out with...

[email protected]
:)

KarenF

Post by KarenF » Sat, 13 Aug 2011 4:26 pm

To Skay / Ka:

I can't reply to your PM as I don't have enough posts on the forum yet. Can you PM me your e-mail address?

Cheers

Karen

SGary

Rock music (pubs, gigs)

Post by SGary » Sun, 14 Aug 2011 4:58 am

hey Karen,

I arrived only 3 weeks ago ; here for a temporary assignment.

I read today of a 3-day Rock Festival, being organised next WE at the Esplanade (near Marina Bay) 19/20/21AUG

Check out : www.baybeats.com

I think it will be worth while and am planning to check it out on Friday
Looking forward to hear, what Asian Rock sounds like...
Also, it should be free entrance.

If you should come across any interesting gigs or clubs, please drop me a note ; I also like (live)music very much.

Gary, 44M , from Antwerp,Belgium

KarenF

Post by KarenF » Sun, 14 Aug 2011 11:38 am

Fantastisch!

I definitely want to check it out. I'll keep you posted.

cheers

Karen

KarenF

Post by KarenF » Sun, 14 Aug 2011 1:30 pm

Hi Gary,

Perhaps we could ask around on the forum if anyone is keen on joining Friday evening. I'm sure there will be some candidates. I'll put on a post later today.

Karen (btw: also on a temporary job here, also from Antwerp :wink: )

StephenK

Post by StephenK » Sun, 14 Aug 2011 1:54 pm

Sounds pretty good, and since it's free you can just bail if it's no good. Count me in! I was bemoaning the potential lack of good music, having just come from London! I guess it's time to see if I was right...

PM your number or email me at [email protected]

Steve

Lyo

Post by Lyo » Sun, 14 Aug 2011 6:59 pm

Hello everyone, it's great to see that there are more ppl here that like rock/metal music :)
Overall in Singapore the variety of choice for good places with rock/metal music are quite limited compared to Europe.
We'll be several friends going on the Rock Festival at Esplanade. If you are interested we can meet 8-)
Still can't send a PM, but will keep a track on the topic here :)

Cheers!

gks_742004

hi everyone

Post by gks_742004 » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 3:32 pm

I am a big Rock Buff too. So plz count me in.

Cheers :-)

KarenF

Post by KarenF » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 9:07 pm

Great! Any suggestions on where and when to meet? Maybe at the Esplanade MRT station (CC3)? I don't make it there before 8.30 pm but I could always join later on if you guys want to go earlier - the first bands start around 7 I think.

sammone40
Regular
Regular

Post by sammone40 » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:41 pm

Hey Karen I heard the Chijmes Insomnia is pretty good all you can drink for a fixed price as well some nights!
**How many times will we say the world is not enough. Be one with the earth**

lew-ash

Post by lew-ash » Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:43 pm

Hey - that sounds great.

I am here since about 1 month (M/35, temporary assignment from Germany) , but pretty much only found the Se7en1nch.

If I am off early enough from work would also be interested for Friday. Would be great if you'd keep me in the loop!

SGary

Baybeats Friday

Post by SGary » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 2:55 pm

hi all,

I think I should be able to make it by 8pm on Friday ; I'll just work some more the rest of the week and stop earlier on Friday, so I can go home,drop my stuff and have a quick shower.

There are 2 MRT stations close to the venue : Esplanade and City Hall ; City Hall is more convenient for me, so I'll exit there.
It is also an interchanging station.

I suggest that we meet somewhere in between the 2 stations, on the way to the esplanade.
That would be MEMORIAL PARK ; why not next to the memorial itself? Should be easy to find.

I will wait there around 8 pm ; if nobody shows after 15min. ; then I'll be on my way to the festival.

If you want to join later, feel free to text me on following number :
+966 504564280

Cheers,
Gary

KarenF

Post by KarenF » Thu, 18 Aug 2011 9:22 am

Sounds like a good plan. Then I suggest that me and my flatmates will wait for a potential second group at the memorial between 8.30 and 9.00 pm (I can't promise we'll be there at 8.30 exactly as e come from far west on the island but we'll do our best...). Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to inform Gary and/or me in advance (by PM or phone) in case you'll come to the memorial.
If you can't find us or want to come later, you can also text me on 8493 5956.
See you tomorrow!
Karen

SGary

Baybeats Friday

Post by SGary » Thu, 18 Aug 2011 8:14 pm

OTOH : just forget about meeting in Memorial Park.

first : I had a look at the line-up and apparently first groups already start around 7 pm (3 different stages) ; the event finishes already around 11 pm.
Also, the sets are quite short.
So, if I were to meet first , by the time I get there, half of the groups will have finished.

secondly : this memorial seems a bit hidden ; I was there in the neighborhood yesterday evening (had some beers in Durty Nelly's on Marina Square) and could not detect the park.
The MRT stations City Hall and Esplanade are connected through the underground and I couldn't make out, where I exactly was, when I came above ground.

So, I'll change my plan: head off to the esplanade directly from work (Changi BP) and arrive there around 7.

So I think it's best to contact via cell phone (sms), I posted my number before.
Please keep in mind, that I don't have mobile internet on my phone, unlike half of the people in SG (not an iphone fan) :-)
But I'll check here for any updates, before leaving work tomorrow afternoon.

Anyways, should we not get to meet......yawl have fun

Gary