Singapore Expats Forum

Canadian married to a Singaporean

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Oceanjh

Canadian married to a Singaporean

Postby Oceanjh » Sat, 06 Aug 2011 10:11 pm

Hi,

I am a Canadian married to a Singaporean woman. We have been married for 5 years. We've been living abroad since we got married and now we are trying to relocate to Singapore. Both of us are working professionals and currently residing in Shanghai.

I have been reading the posts (old and new) and it appears there has been some success in gaining SPR while applying from overseas.

Is there anyone with experience in our situation that can lend a hand? I've looked at the ICA website, but am still unclear. I couldn't find a category that applies to us (both living abroad).

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:56 am

3 years ago you'd have been ok, but it's very unlikely nowadays
I HAVE MASTERS!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 12:06 pm

One of our regulars here, Saint, did just that, while still working in the UK a couple of years ago (two maybe). But as JayCee noted above, I wouldn't bet a slug nickle on it now.

However, nothing ventured, nothing gained...... :wink:

Prepare for the worst, any thing else becomes a bonanza! :)

Oceanjh

Postby Oceanjh » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks guys. Just what I've guessed. It is more difficult now. My wife mentioned about the current hot topic of Singaporeans not warming up to the idea of foreign talents in Singapore which has clearly risen to nearly a million now. I guess I am now looped in that category. Unwelcome and unwanted. It is frustrating. My wife really wants to come home soon.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 5:50 pm

Oceanjh wrote:Thanks guys. Just what I've guessed. It is more difficult now. My wife mentioned about the current hot topic of Singaporeans not warming up to the idea of foreign talents in Singapore which has clearly risen to nearly a million now. I guess I am now looped in that category. Unwelcome and unwanted. It is frustrating. My wife really wants to come home soon.

I wouldn't be totally downbeat, it's only getting PR without having first been here that's very difficult to get now.

If you can manage to find a job in Singapore that will sponsor an EP for you that's a whole different kettle of fish, yes it's harder now but if you have skills that they need then you'll have a good chance of being approved. Don't know what your line of work is but if you're in Shanghai are you on an expat type package there? If so then you're likely to be the type that the Singapore government looks more favourably upon, so you just need to find the job here (or preferably transfer with your current job) and Robert's your mother's brother.

If you can't get recruited from abroad, as your wife is a citizen she could sponsor a LTSVP for you to come and live here then you could look for a job if you don't mind taking the plunge. All depends on how confident you are of finding a job and how long you can afford to be out of work
I HAVE MASTERS!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 7:34 pm

Wife can sponsor if she is working and earning at least 2.8~3K/mo you might add. If she isn't employed, she cannot sponsor.

Goygfamily

Postby Goygfamily » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 5:53 pm

JayCee wrote:
Oceanjh wrote:Thanks guys. Just what I've guessed. It is more difficult now. My wife mentioned about the current hot topic of Singaporeans not warming up to the idea of foreign talents in Singapore which has clearly risen to nearly a million now. I guess I am now looped in that category. Unwelcome and unwanted. It is frustrating. My wife really wants to come home soon.

I wouldn't be totally downbeat, it's only getting PR without having first been here that's very difficult to get now.

If you can manage to find a job in Singapore that will sponsor an EP for you that's a whole different kettle of fish, yes it's harder now but if you have skills that they need then you'll have a good chance of being approved. Don't know what your line of work is but if you're in Shanghai are you on an expat type package there? If so then you're likely to be the type that the Singapore government looks more favourably upon, so you just need to find the job here (or preferably transfer with your current job) and Robert's your mother's brother.

If you can't get recruited from abroad, as your wife is a citizen she could sponsor a LTSVP for you to come and live here then you could look for a job if you don't mind taking the plunge. All depends on how confident you are of finding a job and how long you can afford to be out of work

can LTVP look for a job here

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 7:08 pm

Sure. In fact, if you get an EPEC while overseas, you can often get up to 12 months LTVP to search for a job. so, yeah, no problem. But you will need a sponsor as previously noted, unless it's an EPEC.

Once you get a firm job offer, you will then run the same gamut as all other job seekers, inasmuch as you will have to get by MOM and whether or not they feel the company needs to hire a foreigner or not, (Lately, that's where the stumbling block is).

nthlerkendal

Very hard to get PR

Postby nthlerkendal » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 12:26 pm

Your chances of getting your PR in Singapore are not very high. I would suggest you plan to move to Canada.

I am a European who have been married to a Singaporean for over a decade. I earn 15k per month, and have master's degree from a leading US university. We have lived in Singapore for several years. My application was recently denied. Seriously - what qualifications do you need to get PR in this country?

Strong Eagle

Re: Very hard to get PR

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 4:15 pm

nthlerkendal wrote:Your chances of getting your PR in Singapore are not very high. I would suggest you plan to move to Canada.

I am a European who have been married to a Singaporean for over a decade. I earn 15k per month, and have master's degree from a leading US university. We have lived in Singapore for several years. My application was recently denied. Seriously - what qualifications do you need to get PR in this country?

I find that strange. I think the essential question is this:

You are working for a multi-national, and I would think, at $15K per month, MNC's move their employees. You have been here several years. The gahmen probably believes that you will be shipping out to new territories because a) you are receiving an executive level wage, and b) you have been here long enough to warrant a transfer if you are going to continue to climb up the corporate food chain.

If you indeed plan to reside in Singapore long term, then you should appeal with details as to why you will not be moving. Why your position is more or less permanent here. How you avoid the MNC executive shuffle.

Might make all the difference. In fact, I believe this is the key reason you were not granted PR... the view that your stay is temporary.

Compared to: Me... Have established Singapore Pte Ltd. Do all my business in Asia. PR was a relative shoe in. I was at first denied when I provided insufficient information... I looked like an employee on an EP. When I submitted docs as to my investment in the company, biz plan, etc., I was in.

Cheers.