Singapore Expats

Tiles on Walkways

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:09 pm

and you guys never knew that the tiles are placed in rainy Singapore, to entertain the locals .. like when I was working in China town, on weekends, my employer, a Travel Agent, used to watch the pavement outside her business, as the one before and after hers is at different levels, it is quite common to see tourists stumbling when the floor is suddenly lower or trip when the floor is higher ..

So are the slippery tiles placed .. so the foreigners will be slipping and sliding .. and making the locals laugh out Loud ..

Moral of the story "WATCH WHERE YOU LAND YOUR FEET" :D :D

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:26 pm

I'm not sure that local woman I saw go arse over tit the other day was laughing at too many foreigners when she did it :lol:
I HAVE MASTERS!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 1:16 pm

SO who has seen the trees that have priority on the pavement? Really makes me laugh, that i have to step onto the main road, becuase of a line of trees, that are smack in the middle of the pathway. I give up!

Mind you Taiwan is just as bad! With telegraph poles! All mothers must push prams onto the road to avoid the poles and the kerb stones are that high you need an escalator :shock: Oh well makes us appreciate the finer things in life!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 2:01 pm

JayCee wrote:I'm not sure that local woman I saw go arse over tit the other day was laughing at too many foreigners when she did it :lol:
What over what ?? :D :D

Ah .. another quirk in Singapore .. if and when a woman topples over, God forbid you are near her .. as .. 99% of the time, I have seen them turn to the guy / girl next to 'em and bare their fangs as if the latter was the cause of the their misery ..

Like once, when a woman's stilleto heels got caught in the gap on the walkway, and me being next to her, she decided it was my fault .. and only when I started to laught and she realised that her foot was still caught .. did she decide to act as if that was normal .. :D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 2:04 pm

Hmmm...Singapore, HK, Taiwan...am I the only one seeing a pattern here?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 2:07 pm

nakatago wrote:Hmmm...Singapore, HK, Taiwan...am I the only one seeing a pattern here?
If you want really messed up walkways and sidewalks, nothing comes close to KL.

Unless, of course, you're talking about Houston where vast swaths of neighborhoods have no sidewalks at all, as everyone drives and nobody walks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 2:08 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
nakatago wrote:Hmmm...Singapore, HK, Taiwan...am I the only one seeing a pattern here?
you are right .. in KL, even when you walk on flat ground watch out .. the grating over drains are just a moment away from collapsing .. :D

An Asian Miracle .. you see it now, you don't see it now ..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 2:15 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:

Unless, of course, you're talking about Houston where vast swaths of neighborhoods have no sidewalks at all, as everyone drives and nobody walks.
I was referring to the tiled walkways.

FWIW, sidewalks are optional back home. And when they're there, something's in the way, there's a hole or just generally rendered useless.

But at least we don't use tiles.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 4:25 pm

I used to live just down the hill a bit from where SE is living now. I was lucky in it was a semi-detached house with a patch of grass in the front about the size of a postage stamp. Had a nice sloping driveway up to the carport, all covered with tile. :mad: I've damn near broken my butt/back several times going down that thing after a shower to open the gate. I often wondered what kept the car from sliding backwards into/through the gate.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 4:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I often wondered what kept the car from sliding backwards into/through the gate.

The dry bit under the tyre itself where it's in contact with the ground and where the rain couldn't reach.

There you go..... another problem solved just in time for the weekend.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 9:53 am

Ok, I just saw a tiled staircase! And it's on an HDB estate where old people are likely to pass through!

:x

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:19 am

Yep, our HDB neighbor just did an extensive renovation and covered the front steps in nice white (slippery) marble. Sheesh--form over function.

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:24 am

From the ST today, p. A7:

Paralysed resident sues town council over walkway mishap

Sembawang resident was walking back to his flat on a wet evening in August 2008 when he took a timble on a sloping ramp near his block. He fractured his spine and became paralysed from the neck down.

This is certainly a test case--maybe change will happen now like it does in the US--make the Town Council's lose money and things will change.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:34 am

boffenl wrote:From the ST today, p. A7:

Sembawang resident was walking back to his flat on a wet evening in August 2008 when he took a timble on a sloping ramp near his block. He fractured his spine and became paralysed from the neck down.

This is certainly a test case--maybe change will happen now like it does in the US--make the Town Council's lose money and things will change.
Timble or Tumble ?? :D :D

Well, the simple solution is .. stick the 'anti-skid' matt finish surfacing on the end of the stairs / path .. but, if at the ramp, still they can be 'striped' .. and a good 3M patch can last quite long ..

On the same subject, when the MRT was made friendly for physically challenged, I am not kidding, those bumpy areas resembling a walkway was apparently made to help visually handicapped .. and a lot of visually handicapped did say they get confused, not to mention the majority of the handicapped in Singapore who are on Wheelchair having a difficult time negotiating the obstacle course ..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:07 am

ecureilx wrote:
boffenl wrote:From the ST today, p. A7:

Timble or Tumble ?? :D :D

Well, the simple solution is .. stick the 'anti-skid' matt finish surfacing on the end of the stairs / path .. but, if at the ramp, still they can be 'striped' .. and a good 3M patch can last quite long ..

On the same subject, when the MRT was made friendly for physically challenged, I am not kidding, those bumpy areas resembling a walkway was apparently made to help visually handicapped .. and a lot of visually handicapped did say they get confused, not to mention the majority of the handicapped in Singapore who are on Wheelchair having a difficult time negotiating the obstacle course ..
The problem is, the tiled staircase I saw was in a common area and is most probably under that estate's management.

Return to “General Discussions”