Singapore Expats

Horror Maid!!!

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Alicia13

Horror Maid!!!

Post by Alicia13 » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:06 pm

Abt 2 mths ago, we hired a Myanmar maid, her name is (deleted by moderator) (pls remember this name), 23 yrs old, purpose is to tk care of our 3 yrs old boy. For the 1st 2 wks, I guided her patiently hw to tk care of my boy, as I kw she does not hv experience in taking care of a kid, esp my boy is a bit pro-active type. She promised me she will try her best and will not let us disappointed. But to our horror, she does not care my boy at all!!! While we were working and left she and my boy at home, she ignored him totally, even threw temper on him when he wanted her to play with him!!! Only tk care when feed him milk or food. The best part is, she stole food to eat!! Even my boy's snacks or drinks she also stole, esp after heavy meals!! Moreover, she's also very, very lazy, likes to sleep...no patience...hot-tempered...really cannot stand her anymore!!!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:30 pm

Why on earth would you hire someone with no experience in looking after kids, to look after your 3 year old boy?

You've had a bad experience, we understand that, but why do you feel it necessarily to name her on a public forum, with your first ever post on here, and potentially harm her chances of finding other work in Singapore? That is a really vindictive thing to do, plus there is only one side of the story - yours.

Why don't you go down the official route and speak to the agency you hired her from rather than shouting your mouth off like a 3 year old kid.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 3:18 am

If she deserves it then she deserves it, vindicative or not but I agree with the rest of the BB's comment: we have no means to verify the OP story. It is probably not entirely true (a half truth is the whole lie) and surely not unbiased.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 9:36 am

BillyB wrote: Why don't you go down the official route and speak to the agency you hired her from rather than shouting your mouth off like a 3 year old kid.
+1

Alicia13

Post by Alicia13 » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 5:07 pm

I want to explain: the reason that I put her name in the forum just want TO WARN OTHER EMPLOYERS!!

We have brought up the matters to our agent but he's too protective towards maids, however he admitted that nowadays maid's qualities are really quite bad. We have decided to file a police report for record purposes as we have proofs to show. Another thing I nearly left out, my maid not only doesn't care my boy, she even pushed his head at times and caused him nearly fall down!

Moreover, she has confessed that her purpose of coming Singapore is to view the country, not to earn $$, as she has heard a lot from others that Singapore is such a beautiful and harmony country, much different from theirs. Anyway, her loan is not as high as other agencies.

So I reaffirmed - MY INTENTION IS SOLEY WANT TO WARN OTHER EMPLOYERS; DO NOT WANT THEM TO GET ANY HURT!

P.S. You may consider to "interview" my maid of how we treated her for these past 2 mths.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 5:42 pm

Police report?? What on earth for? :shock: If you're unhappy with the maid and the way the agency is handling it, why not WARN OTHER EMPLOYERS about the agency, rather than dragging the individual's name through the mud where she cannot offer her side of the story. Make it a professional complaint, not personal.*

It seems to me that if you were willing to take someone with no childcare experience because the agency's rate was cheaper than the rest, you got what you paid for.

*Life Skills 101

Alicia13

Post by Alicia13 » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 10:47 pm

I think you get me wrong. Our agency fee is double to any other agencies, so it's not low; maid's salary is following the market rate - btwn $350 to $400 plus. What I mean is their loan, other maids hv to tk 7 to 9 mths loan from agencies, but ours only 2 mths, so it's beneficial to the maids not to us the employers! Do u hv experience in hiring maid before may I ask? Said it's easier than done.

Another thing, the maids from this agency are mostly well-behaved and nice (many feedback from other pple), so if we sued the agency, it's unfair to them! So can say we are one of the unlucky ones. We won't file reports to police if the situation is not that bad.

May I kw what is the purpose of setting up this forum? I thought it's to state the facts to let other people kw the truth? I just do not want other employers to get harmed.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 11:00 pm

This forum is a site to help incoming expatriates with information as to where and how to go about getting settled into Singapore. It is NOT a bitchfest where you can come in a smear someone reputation. You do realize, if it goes too far and it come out that you are in the wrong, you can be sued for slander for what you have posted here. If she has been found guilty in court, you are welcome to it, but until then it's just your rant without her able to defend herself. I'm seeing your temper showing itself on here already. if after 6 posts, you are already fuming and chafing at the bit, dog only know how you treated her to make her turn like that. Personally, you don't sound like an angel yourself. As noted, it sounds like you tried to cut corners by hiring a maid without the requisite knowledge of taking care of toddlers. So you only have yourself to blame, and shouldn't be blaming her on a public board. If you get sued, it will be your own fault and deserved at that.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Alicia13

Post by Alicia13 » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 11:51 pm

My conscience is clear of everything what I hv mentioned.

As I've mentioned earlier, u may consider to "interview" her if you wish to. She has being selected and interviewed by MOM few wks ago, fyi.

And for sure, I hv gotten into a wrong forum.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:02 am

Sorry to say, but the way you have tried to slam her, you don't have a conscience.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Alicia13

Post by Alicia13 » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 8:48 am

My conscience is clear because I do not wrong her.

If you really want to shield the maid, I hv nothing to say.

Said is easier than done, if you encountered such maid, I assure you will not have such comments.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 9:23 am

Alicia13 wrote:My conscience is clear because I do not wrong her.

If you really want to shield the maid, I hv nothing to say.

Said is easier than done, if you encountered such maid, I assure you will not have such comments.
That is correct. I would just send her home. If I have an employee working for me who is not suitable or found to be lacking or even if I think they are a thief, unless the amount is large or serious (for which I would then go to the police) I would just fire the employee, but I wouldn't try to go out of my way to ruin the employee's reputation in the marketplace. If all employers were like that, then the unemployment rate of Singaporeans would be 10x higher than what it currently is.

Please remember that she was an employee, she wasn't working for free and she isn't family. Would you like your employer to write into the press about his unhappiness with you, or how unsuitable you are for the job, thereby possibly preventing you from ever find another job? Of course not. Sometimes it better to engage your brain before you engage your tongue or computer keyboard.........

[-X

Alicia13

Post by Alicia13 » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:39 am

We have requested the agency to send her back, but he said if that so, we have to pay him the agent fee all over again as she is still under contract, so he has to transfer to other employers.

We have highlighted to him that she's here not to earn $$, same as some other maids, just because they never take airplane, so take loan from agencies and come over, they do not bother whether they will pass the exam, at the most return to their country, as long as they have travelled the airplane.

I know there are some forum where we employers can boycott those maids who are really very bad, to warn other employers who are searching for potential maids. so I deem I have accessed to the wrong forum.

Alicia13

Post by Alicia13 » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:47 am

But anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and comments which you have given me.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:58 am

Sorry but we don't roll that way here. We don't like putting scarlet letters.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."