Singapore Expats Forum

Computer Build

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Saurheledion

Computer Build

Postby Saurheledion » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 12:49 pm

Howdy, I have a quick question. I'm going to be studying in Singapore soon and I'm toying with the idea of building a new pc (it seems its no more expensive than shipping my current system). I understand that the two major hubs for computer parts are Sim Lim (cheaper, but more wild west) and Funan (more legitimate, but higher prices).

I was wondering what stores you've found legitimate and fair in either area or even elsewhere in the city? Would I be better off ordering somewhere online and importing, and if so where? Perhaps using vPost? I'd really feel more comfortable having some sort of intact warranty. Considering the possibility of failure in untested pc parts, I can't fathom not having a warranty.

Thanks a bunch for your help, I really appreciate it.

x9200

Re: Computer Build

Postby x9200 » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 1:08 pm

Saurheledion wrote:Howdy, I have a quick question. I'm going to be studying in Singapore soon and I'm toying with the idea of building a new pc (it seems its no more expensive than shipping my current system). I understand that the two major hubs for computer parts are Sim Lim (cheaper, but more wild west) and Funan (more legitimate, but higher prices).

I was wondering what stores you've found legitimate and fair in either area or even elsewhere in the city? Would I be better off ordering somewhere online and importing, and if so where? Perhaps using vPost? I'd really feel more comfortable having some sort of intact warranty. Considering the possibility of failure in untested pc parts, I can't fathom not having a warranty.

Thanks a bunch for your help, I really appreciate it.

If you are a person who is familiar with building up PCs (etc.) from scratch then there are no bad stores for you in SLS. The worst what can happen is an incompetent staff or GST not included to the price.

http://pricewatch.vr-zone.com/previewpricelist.php

I typically shop in Bell, Laser, Cybermind, AGENUINE.
Some of them have outlets also in Funan and the prices are the same.
Don't recall having any problems with the components. As a matter of fact in 10y and probably close to 20PCs I built or modernized I had only 2 cases of something defective and it was replaced or sent to repair without any fuss.

For online shops I generally use this one:
http://www.potterhouse.net/

Not a very big choice but spotless experience so far.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 4:21 pm

also, get all the price you can eat at http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/marketplace/index

krun

dell

Postby krun » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 11:58 am

We got ours by ordering online from Dell. It is really hassle free. :D

x9200

Re: dell

Postby x9200 » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 12:22 pm

krun wrote:We got ours by ordering online from Dell. It is really hassle free. :D

Not to my experience or at least not always and especially not if you want to build it up by yourself.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Postby Mi Amigo » Sun, 07 Aug 2011 10:11 pm

I just bought my second PC from Bell Systems in Sim Lim (at the top of the escalator on the 5th floor). I shopped around and found them to be reasonable price-wise and since they'd built an earlier PC for me that's been very reliable, I had some confidence they'd do a good job this time. Actually I was going to build the thing myself (just for 'fun') but since they don't charge for putting all the parts together and testing it, I decided to just let them do it for me.

The key to a successful purchase at Sim Lim (or Funan for that matter) is to really do your homework and know what it is you want to buy, and what price you should be paying. The aforementioned hardwarezone is a good source of information - if you join the site you can download pricelists from all the major shops in Sim Lim and peruse them before you visit.

p.s. No, I'm not on commission :)

dburrows

Postby dburrows » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 7:39 pm

There are a lot of cheap computer builds and you can get very good deals from it as long as you are not particular with getting the latest hardware, which are not always the best option. I got a whole computer setup with the first generation of core i3 for just 600sgd. Well that included the cpu, an lcd monitor and all the other components plus a lenovo netbook. I do not think you could not get that deal all the time but just shows how flexible buying can be.