Singapore Expats

China girlfriend

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
keisatsu

China girlfriend

Post by keisatsu » Sat, 30 Jul 2011 1:06 pm

Hi all,

I am a newbie in this forum and I would like to share my situation with everyone and hope some people could give me some advice on what I can do.

I am male,31 years of age this year, born and bred in Singapore (Citizen, served NS), and My girlfriend, 23 is from China. I have been together with her for 3 years now. She studied in Singapore for 3 years in a local school, Nanyang academy of fine arts, with a tuition grant from the ministry of education, so after graduation (diploma) she is supposed to work here for minimum 3 years.

After graduation, her student pass was cancelled and she was granted a svp to look for a job, and she found a job soon after. Now, this was were the complications started. After a few interviews at different companies, there was a job offer from one of them and she accepted the job and they applied an S Pass for her which was approved. What happened later was that we found out that the company name on her S Pass was not the same as the place where she worked at, and worse, the boss made her withdraw $500 every month to return to him (personally in cash) therefore making her pay less than the $1800 minimum for S Pass holders at that time. (this was late last year). There was also no contract, agreement, or any letter of appointment whatsoever.

She was afraid at first and was afraid to lose her pass, but we finally made a report (as I kept insisting it was wrong) to Ministry of Manpower 2 months later. After a few months of investigation her S Pass was cancelled (and the employer subsequently fined) and she went back to China for a break for a month. I then applied for SVP for her which got approved for 60 days. She then tried to look for a job but her application for S Pass got rejected. During this stressful period of time, we forgot to go to ICA to "chop" her passport, as China passport is only valid for visit for 30 days at a time, even though her visa was valid for 60 days. We then had to write a explanation for the overstay and a small penalty of $100. The ICA officer also told us that there would not be any records on her.

After that they gave her a chop on her passport for her to stay till the end of the max 60 days after which she had to leave Singapore and reapply for SVP (to look for employment). Meanwhile, another prospective employer applied EP/S-Pass for her which got rejected and the employer then filed an appeal. She then left Singapore on the 12 of July (SVP expire 15 July). I tried to apply for an SVP for her on the 20th of July which got rejected, and meanwhile her appeal for her pass also got rejected on the 29th July. So now she is stuck as she is supposed to be working here for 3 years after graduation and yet her pass can't be approved.

Since we have been together for a while, we have also been contemplating marriage, and now this has happened, I was wondering if she could still work in Singapore if I married her and applied a relevant pass (not sure its ltsvp / dp???) and at least she has more time to look for employment here. In our long term plans she wants to apply for PR here as well and does not want to go back any more. (her parents are divorced and I am almost like her only family now.)

I'm thinking of what options do we have now, to get married, or to wait for a month or so before applying SVP for her again - as her prospective employer wants to appeal her rejected pass again (good news as it seems like they really want to hire her). I've been reading around the forums and there was some mention of income for applying ltvp for spouse. Not sure if it would be any help but my gross income monthly is $3500-3800 average. (basic more than $2500). However, I am only with this company for about 10 months and have not been paying tax last year when I was unemployed. Not sure if my CPF balance would affect anything as well.

Thank you for reading my long post and I hope anyone out there can give me some good advice....I just want her to come back soon so she can get a job successfully and stay here, as she does not have a place to go in China as well (just bunking in various friend's places until she can come back)

klt

Post by klt » Sun, 31 Jul 2011 4:49 pm

Sorry to hear this sad story.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 31 Jul 2011 5:22 pm

In short, your gf is in a mess. I think you better start thinking of living in China if you still want to be with her.
She is between the rocks and hard place.
IMHO, your chances is a good as zero. Once MOM and ICA are involved whether you are guilty or not, the chances to get her SVP let alone LTSVP is impossible. This is the blunt truth.
Just be prepared to pay off the bond if everything goes to custard
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

frekedech

Post by frekedech » Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:36 pm

I think all foreign students Spass/EP applications are mostly being rejected recently. Same case as me... I'm now stuck with 3-yr bond and rejected EP application. :(

If I may suggest, try to get her tuition grant letter and enquire MOE (since the grant is from them) about this issue. I'm going to do it on monday. I hope as more people enquire and appeal to this case, they will realize and coordinate with MOM about it.

keisatsu

Post by keisatsu » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 12:06 am

Mad Scientist: Thanks for your honest opinion. I'm still weighing my options on what I should do next.

Frekedech: really? let me know what kind of answer did you get if possible?

frekedech

Post by frekedech » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 10:18 pm

keisatsu wrote:Mad Scientist: Thanks for your honest opinion. I'm still weighing my options on what I should do next.

Frekedech: really? let me know what kind of answer did you get if possible?
Hi, just went to MOE and MOM this afternoon.

MOE will review my case and produce the appeal letter in 2 weeks time (not much help there, but they gave me case number so I can check again with them).

MOM told my case is not unique, indeed there is one person before me came there to enquire. They suggest me to ask my employer to change the EP application to Spass and increase the basic salary to $2K (previously $1.7K), otherwise look for other employer.

I've called my employer and seems like they are in urgent, probably they will just withdraw the offer. :(

Anw, I am going for an interview tmr. Should I tell them about my issue after the interview or just wait till they offer me the job? Any suggestion?

keisatsu

Post by keisatsu » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 11:49 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the update

Which part of moe and mom did u go to? I was thinking to make a trip there too.

Maybe we can contact each other for updates

frekedech

Post by frekedech » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 8:22 pm

keisatsu wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the update

Which part of moe and mom did u go to? I was thinking to make a trip there too.

Maybe we can contact each other for updates
MOE enquiry is at podium, ground level. MOM I only went in and the receptionist helped me.

Sure, I will send my email to your inbox.

lenton

Post by lenton » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 3:44 pm

Hi Keisatsu

I read your post, and I can understand your girlfriend's situation. Please keep me updated with the case.

I'm actually a foreign student, and I just graduated too. I'm waiting for my company to apply S-pass for me. Previously another company wanted to hire me but because of S-pass and E-pass policy, they couldn't. I think your girlfriend should look for a bigger company to increase the chance of getting S-pass. As I know small companies usually got rejected. I also understand that students from Nafa hardly find a good pay job in Singapore.

All the best to your girlfriend and you.

keisatsu

Post by keisatsu » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 5:47 pm

after a strange turn of events, her S Pass just got the in principle approval letter.

Coming in to singapore at the end of this month. After more than a year of trying, we finally succeeded!

sorry to bump up this thread, just wanted to "celebrate".

thanks all for your advise!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 6:46 pm

keisatsu wrote:after a strange turn of events, her S Pass just got the in principle approval letter.

Coming in to singapore at the end of this month. After more than a year of trying, we finally succeeded!

sorry to bump up this thread, just wanted to "celebrate".

thanks all for your advise!
Congratulations.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 8:15 pm

Congratulations. perseverance pays off sometimes! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks for coming back and telling us what happened, it's appreciated.

Oh, and congratulations.
nutnut