Singapore Expats Forum

Please help - offer of work in Singapore with conviction...

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
SarahSingapore

Please help - offer of work in Singapore with conviction...

Postby SarahSingapore » Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:00 pm

Hi all,

I have never posted on here before (or anywhere so be gentle).

Myself and my Fiancée bot have a potential job offer for Recruitment Consultant roles in Singapore.

We are both highly experienced in this field and the company is a company based in both UK and Singapore and we have both worked with them in the past...so far so good....

BUT..my fiancée has a conviction it is a 'Minor for Common Assault' for which he received community service hours last November, which will be finished this November.

He got in an argument with his house mate, the police were called as it was late, they were both arrested but his friend pushed for him to be charged and he did not take the offer of a brief as he just couldn't believe what was happening. There was no violence (as such) they were pushing each other.

I am not justifying his actions but it’s happened and now this opportunity has come up.

We are skilled workers in a field that is asking for UK based talent, but we do not have degrees.

No one can give us a straight answer as to whether he could still stand a chance at an EP and I don’t want our old employers (and friends) to spend time and money applying for his Visa if it’s a definite NO.

Please help - any advice would be so welcome.

Many thanks all

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:22 am

It's subjective - no-one knows the criteria the MOM use. I've had ex-employee's gain EP's with convictions but they were driving related and drunk and disorderly. They were also spent and some time ago. The fact that your BF's is so recent doesn't bode well.

There are a number of posts here about similar topics - have a search.

P.S If you don't have a degree you'll need to earn SGD 8k or above for a P1 pass - it's the only pass that gives you the option to work here without a degree as a professional.

P.P.S Your BF got a pretty harsh sentence for common assault? The fact he got community service, spanning a year and the judge didn't go to a conditional discharge and/or a fine, suggests there was more than pushing. Did he plead or get sentenced?

SarahSingapore

Postby SarahSingapore » Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:39 am

Hi BillyB,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

I wish it were more positive but we have to be realistic.

I would be earning more than 8k sing dollars but again he wouldn’t be – he is not looking hopeful. However, we have read that if you don’t have a degree and don’t earn 8k but do have 5 years relevant experience then you can also be considered. He has 6 years in a specific recruitment market.

Also do you know if he could work under a dependants visa as a ‘common law’ spouse? Or is that a no too?

I wish there was some way of just knowing a yes or no. Its so hard because we would have to leave our current jobs and work for the company in the UK while we wait for our visas to come back but if they are a NO for him then we would have left very successful jobs for nothing.

Yes it is a harsh sentence – het go a ridiculous amount of community service hours. He didn’t have a brief and his day for court was changed along with the judge he was supposed to have. The police officer who had been with him had said that he would probably get off with a ‘few hours’ and nothing else and that he really just shouldn’t worry, however on the day of court he burst in to tears (clearly was in a state at how ridiculous the whole thing was and scared as he HAS never been in any trouble before) and the judge said that his tears were obviously a sign that he intended to do more harm than he did?? Even the police officers afterwards said how sorry they all were and how ridiculous the judge’s statement was!

Hoping someone can give me a definite answer – I’m so confused.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Sat, 30 Jul 2011 1:03 am

I don't think you'll find a definitive answer on this with regard to the criminal record. Sorry to sound like Mr Negative, but you are always going to get a subjective answer on here as no-one knows the selection criteria the MOM use to assess each individual application.

I think it's better to be realistic and accept that the odd's of going down the EP route seem slim. You can make the application whilst still in your current jobs, so don't worry too much about having to give that up in order to be able to apply for a Visa here.

Personally, I don't know about the experience route Vs. having a degree route, and also the letter of consent route - which is working while on a dependent pass. Have you guys got proof of living together and sharing bills and accounts etc for a few years given you aren't married? If so, the LOC route may be an option.

One of the moderators should be able to clarify things a little more details.

All the best and hope things work out for you.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 30 Jul 2011 3:14 am

Minor offense does not constitute as criminal offense. Complete the offense first then apply. Similar to DUI

ftopic70185.html&highlight=
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

SarahSingapore

Postby SarahSingapore » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 4:51 pm

Hi All, thank you so much for your input.

It is so frustrating that it is such a grey area.

BillyB - thank you for your advice on the evidence needed of us living together. I will look into that.

Mad Scientist - As of November it will be a year and although not 'spent' for 5 he cannot be held to trial on same minor crime. I know that I am probably going to be come down on like a ton of bricks, so please excuse my nativity, but once this is over in November, should he tell the truth on the form or just say that he hasn’t been convicted - as he has never been sent to prison or any conviction like that.

The link you sent me was great, but because it s a drug related crime in the states I dont want to take too much of it on board.

Thank you so much any help you can add.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 5:48 pm

SarahSingapore wrote:Mad Scientist - As of November it will be a year and although not 'spent' for 5 he cannot be held to trial on same minor crime. I know that I am probably going to be come down on like a ton of bricks, so please excuse my nativity, but once this is over in November, should he tell the truth on the form or just say that he hasn’t been convicted - as he has never been sent to prison or any conviction like that.

Thank you so much any help you can add.

Crime in SG is divided into two albeit Petty and Serious Crime.
Traffic Offense is a crime but not serious unless involves in serious crash or DUI and the rest which resulted in bodily injury or death. It will tried under Traffic Offense with a linked to be charge under serious if the needs be

Your bf from my understanding is not serious. Let it be completed in November. Yes, you have to declare this in your application. IMHO it is not a major.
All FTs stumbling block will be drugs, human trafficking and murder which will never gain any foothole here. Yours is not.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!