Singapore Expats

Need Advice on Student Visa & S-Pass Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Its Hot Here

Need Advice on Student Visa & S-Pass Application

Post by Its Hot Here » Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:31 am

Hello all,
I need advice for my girlfriend. She is Thai and wants to stay here in Singapore to study or work. She has applied for a Student Visa and is in the approval process. As luck would have it, she has recently been offered a decent job in the medical field here too. Now the problem. How should she go about notifying MOM that she no longer needs the Student Visa as she will soon be applying for an S-Pass? The school tells her she needs to write a letter to MOM requesting to cancel her application. Should she mention the reason is to pursue a job here or just not mention the job at all?
I'm worried she will only have one chance to do everything correctly or she's denied the Pass and the job goes away. I'm new to Singapore and really have no idea what MOM expects or how "understanding" they will be. What do you think she can expect and what do you recommend she do?

Thanks...IHH

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Need Advice on Student Visa & S-Pass Application

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 28 Jul 2011 4:28 am

Its Hot Here wrote:Hello all,
I need advice for my girlfriend. She is Thai and wants to stay here in Singapore to study or work. She has applied for a Student Visa and is in the approval process. As luck would have it, she has recently been offered a decent job in the medical field here too. Now the problem. How should she go about notifying MOM that she no longer needs the Student Visa as she will soon be applying for an S-Pass? The school tells her she needs to write a letter to MOM requesting to cancel her application. Should she mention the reason is to pursue a job here or just not mention the job at all?
I'm worried she will only have one chance to do everything correctly or she's denied the Pass and the job goes away. I'm new to Singapore and really have no idea what MOM expects or how "understanding" they will be. What do you think she can expect and what do you recommend she do?

Thanks...IHH
Everything is up in the air. She has not held any visa at the moment hence nothing is certain.
She can only hold one Pass in SG.
The employer might want to employ here but MOM is the one that issue the pass. If your employer cannot provide enough justification that she is needed in their operation compare to a local then she can kiss goodbye on the S Pass application
Same goes to student pass application as the local tertiary or education centre must be an approved learning centre under MOM and the same process repeats itself.
Flip a coin and see which side it will face you
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!