Singapore Expats Forum

EP Cancellation - Change of Employer

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
revhappy
Editor
Editor

EP Cancellation - Change of Employer

Postby revhappy » Tue, 26 Jul 2011 2:35 pm

Hello Guys,

My last date with my current employer is 17th Aug and my start date with my new employer is also 17th Aug. My new employer wants me to get my current EP cancelled on or before 10AM on 17th Aug and they say I am strictly not allowed to commence work untill my existing EP is cancelled. Is this true?

P.S. I have already received the IPA from my new employer.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Jul 2011 2:54 pm

Absolutely.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Tue, 26 Jul 2011 4:03 pm

Thanks SMS. I also had a question with regards to my tax clearance. When I login to the IRAS site I see the amount of tax that is due for FY 2012(FY 2011 has already been paid) But the notification of assessment is not generated yet. I can only see the amount in the account summary and the NoA will be generated on 1st Aug.

I will be travelling to India on 29th Jul and be back on 16 Aug and I will continue to remain employed during that period, under my existing employer.

Now I have called up IRAS and told them the situation and they asked me to tell my employer to release the tax amount from my salary withholdings.

I have conveyed that to my employer and they have are asking me to send them the pdf NoA which dont I have yet. :(

I am not sure what do I do. Should I just pay the tax myself by going to IRAS? Or if the immigration stops me at Changi Airport will they allow me to pay the tax there and let me go?
Last edited by revhappy on Tue, 26 Jul 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Tue, 26 Jul 2011 4:04 pm

You have your IPA, but until your previous pass is cancelled, your new company can't apply for your new pass.

The IPA means only that if you complete the formalities (medical test, finger printout if required, ...) you will get an EP, but is not a valid pass itself.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Jul 2011 4:27 pm

revhappy wrote:Thanks SMS. I also had a question with regards to my tax clearance. When I login to the IRAS site I see the amount of tax that is due for FY 2012(FY 2011 has already been paid) But the notification of assessment is not generated yet. I can only see the amount in the account summary and the NoA will be generated on 1st Aug.

I will be travelling to India on 29th Jul and be back on 16 Aug and I will continue to remain employed during that period, under my existing employer.

Now I have called up IRAS and told them the situation and they asked me to tell my employer to release the tax amount from my salary withholdings.

I have conveyed that to my employer and they have are asking me to send them the pdf NoA which dont I have yet. :(

I am not sure what do I do. Should I just pay the tax myself by going to IRAS? Or if the immigration stops me at Changi Airport will they allow me to pay the tax there and let me go?

When you log into the IRAS site using your singpass, you should be able to go to correspondence/notices and you should be able to see the tax assessment there even though you haven't yet received it in the mail. If it's there it will be a zipped file that you just need to open and print out. That should do the trick. Alternately, you can go to Newton Road and pay the outstanding tax. Then show that to your employer so that they can release any monies due you since you've turned in your notice. That should also satisfy ICA on the way out of the country.

sms

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Tue, 26 Jul 2011 5:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
revhappy wrote:Thanks SMS. I also had a question with regards to my tax clearance. When I login to the IRAS site I see the amount of tax that is due for FY 2012(FY 2011 has already been paid) But the notification of assessment is not generated yet. I can only see the amount in the account summary and the NoA will be generated on 1st Aug.

When you log into the IRAS site using your singpass, you should be able to go to correspondence/notices and you should be able to see the tax assessment there even though you haven't yet received it in the mail. If it's there it will be a zipped file that you just need to open and print out. That should do the trick. Alternately, you can go to Newton Road and pay the outstanding tax. Then show that to your employer so that they can release any monies due you since you've turned in your notice. That should also satisfy ICA on the way out of the country.

sms

Thanks SMS. I am going to pay the tax myself using the AXS machine and the send the reciept as proof to my employer.