Singapore Expats Forum

PR and tuition grant

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
desdek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 24 Jul 2011

PR and tuition grant

Postby desdek » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 7:07 pm

Hello,
I am a Singapore PR having finished serving 2 yrs 4 months of national service. i am considering of renouncing my PR, but i have a bond of 3 years due to tuition grant for undergraduate study from MOE. Is it possible to give up my PR and serve the 3 years bond? In other words, will ICA give me a employment pass for completing my bond? Currently, I am a graduate student in a local University.

The reason that i want to give up my PR is that i have to go for ICTs/IPPTs yearly if i am a PR.

Kevin86
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 25 Sep 2008

Postby Kevin86 » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 7:52 pm

I am also a PR who has taken the tuition grant as well. The tuition grant is also extended to none-pr foreign students so technically it has nothing to do with your PR status. Foreign students who are obliged to work in Singapore for 3 years are not guaranteed with an employment pass simply because of that obligation.

desdek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 24 Jul 2011

Postby desdek » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 8:04 pm

Foreign students are guaranteed the employment pass. Or else how are they going to serve the bond? From https://tgonline.moe.gov.sg/tgis/files/SOA-FAQ.pdf
Q15 Do I have to surrender my student pass after graduation? How can I remain in Singapore to seek employment?
Upon expiry of your student pass, you can apply for a Long Term Visit Pass or Social Visit Pass at Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) to remain in Singapore to seek employment. Once you have secured an employment, you will be issued with an employment pass and your old pass will be cancelled.


But it seems unclear if PR who give up their PR status will be guaranteed the employment pass.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 8:44 pm

Just do the IPPT. Otherwise you are just a wuss! [-X :console:

desdek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 24 Jul 2011

Postby desdek » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 9:27 pm

The ICTs are very disruptive as i am still studying.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:34 pm

:shit:

Just do it!

If that is the only inconvenience in your life you've had it pretty easy. Boy are you in for a rude awakening when you grow up!

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: PR and tuition grant

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 4:57 am

desdek wrote:Hello,
I am a Singapore PR having finished serving 2 yrs 4 months of national service. i am considering of renouncing my PR, but i have a bond of 3 years due to tuition grant for undergraduate study from MOE. Is it possible to give up my PR and serve the 3 years bond? In other words, will ICA give me a employment pass for completing my bond? Currently, I am a graduate student in a local University.

The reason that i want to give up my PR is that i have to go for ICTs/IPPTs yearly if i am a PR.


You are very selfish and still wet around your nose. Those people waiting to get PR here in this forum will gladly do the ICT for an exchange on your PR that you called disruptive. No PR means no EP means no work means you have to pay back the bond. Capisce ?
You are being paid to get fit and local uni allows time off for this "inconvenience"
Be grateful that you received PR years ago and No, if you renounce PR does not assure you an EP. Things has change somewhat from previous norm. I had one forumer did the same complete opposite against my recommendation and MOM send a letter asking him why did he renounce PR to get employment here after NS. He is still under appeal. He made a stupid mistake by stating stupid reason.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

desdek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 24 Jul 2011

Re: PR and tuition grant

Postby desdek » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 8:29 am

Mad Scientist wrote:You are very selfish and still wet around your nose. Those people waiting to get PR here in this forum will gladly do the ICT for an exchange on your PR that you called disruptive. No PR means no EP means no work means you have to pay back the bond. Capisce ?
You are being paid to get fit and local uni allows time off for this "inconvenience"
Be grateful that you received PR years ago and No, if you renounce PR does not assure you an EP. Things has change somewhat from previous norm. I had one forumer did the same complete opposite against my recommendation and MOM send a letter asking him why did he renounce PR to get employment here after NS. He is still under appeal. He made a stupid mistake by stating stupid reason.


A person with PR do not need EP to work. I have never said that ICT is inconvenience, in my first post i said that it was disruptive as i am studying (i did not state it explicitly). Deferment is not allowed as i am studying in a local U.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: PR and tuition grant

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 9:00 am

desdek wrote:A person with PR do not need EP to work. I have never said that ICT is inconvenience, in my first post i said that it was disruptive as i am studying (i did not state it explicitly). Deferment is not allowed as i am studying in a local U.


GO and read my previous post again
I know that you do need EP for PR/local but if you give up PR then you do need one, don't you think ?. Anyway you can get time off for ICT. Total BS if you say you cannot get deferment from local Uni. Reservist In Camp Training takes precedent over your study and work unless you have MC or overseas assignment or proof of your inability to go for in camp which can only be approve by your CO albeit HQ Chief Clerk.
I served NS and In camps , I know.
IPPT takes only One day. Unless you go for RT than it will be a week or more
ICT max for NCOs is 14 days unless you are officer which is 21 days but up tp maximum 40 days in a year. 13 year high key and 13 year low key unless you are officer where you served until 50. The rest is up to 40.

Disruptive will lead to inconvenience for you doesn't it means the same ?
You need to put your act together just because you think it is disruptive which really does not makes any sense at all to give up your PR which never quarrantee you employment under EP once you relinquish PR
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

desdek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 24 Jul 2011

Re: PR and tuition grant

Postby desdek » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 9:15 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
desdek wrote:A person with PR do not need EP to work. I have never said that ICT is inconvenience, in my first post i said that it was disruptive as i am studying (i did not state it explicitly). Deferment is not allowed as i am studying in a local U.


GO and read my previous post again
I know that you do need EP for PR/local but if you give up PR then you do need one, don't you think ?. Anyway you can get time off for ICT. Total BS if you say you cannot get deferment from local Uni. Reservist In Camp Training takes precedent over your study and work unless you have MC or overseas assignment or proof of your inability to go for in camp which can only be approve by your CO albeit HQ Chief Clerk.
I served NS and In camps , I know.
IPPT takes only One day. Unless you go for RT than it will be a week or more
ICT max for NCOs is 14 days unless you are officer which is 21 days but up tp maximum 40 days in a year. 13 year high key and 13 year low key unless you are officer where you served until 50. The rest is up to 40.

Disruptive will lead to inconvenience for you doesn't it means the same ?
You need to put your act together just because you think it is disruptive which really does not makes any sense at all to give up your PR which never quarrantee you employment under EP once you relinquish PR


When i said deferment, i meant deferment on the SAF side.
I say disruptive cos i am studying, have weekly courses to attend. I wouldnt care if they want me to go after my graduation.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 9:19 am

Wuss.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: PR and tuition grant

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 9:37 am

desdek wrote:
When i said deferment, i meant deferment on the SAF side.
I say disruptive cos i am studying, have weekly courses to attend. I wouldnt care if they want me to go after my graduation.


It is the same for deferment from SAF . You need to proof otherwise in order to get deferment. Read my post again.
Don't be a WUSS!!!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

desdek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 24 Jul 2011

Postby desdek » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 9:44 am

Thanks all.
Btw, i have found another similar thread. sutra385008.html

wkwoods
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu, 16 Jul 2009

Postby wkwoods » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 9:54 am

I think we have to recognize that there are some people who have better options than Singapore and don't want to work or live here, but have had to do NS and then are obliged to work here because of their parents choices.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:44 am

wkwoods wrote:I think we have to recognize that there are some people who have better options than Singapore and don't want to work or live here, but have had to do NS and then are obliged to work here because of their parents choices.


Yeah but OP is taking advantage of entering local Uni. Aint that his choices not his parents ?
This are all calculated moves that the family and himself has made way before everything went into motion.

BTW OP I do not see the relevant on the thread you attached . It does not even give the answer you are looking for ?
I am dumbfounded by your immaturity
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests