Singapore Expats Forum

Time to say goodbye...

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Time to say goodbye...

Postby Asdracles » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 4:40 pm

Well, I applied for PR for a third time and got rejected again. This time was in one month only (according to the Ienquiry system, still didn't get the ICA letter), so I think it's the right time to leave Singapore.

It's impossible to know what's wrong, but I think now my race, being single and the lack of degree are the main points against me. I have been here for 4.5 years under the same employer, with 2 job promotions in this time, and in one industry where there is almost no locals involved.

I didn't have too big hope but decided to give a last try before planning to leave. And now it's a forced move.

I have enjoyed my years here, and hope to be able to help others even if I'm not around as I got lot of good advices from you guys.

It's a sad day, but also the start of a new life.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 4:57 pm

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Can't you keep working on your EP? I know folks who have had EP for decades.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 5:00 pm

Bummer dude! :mad:

I least I did have the pleasure of meeting you once! It's a small world and who know what tomorrow will bring. Will miss having you around, but with the internet you are still here just like JR8, Plavt and other who are no longer on our shores physically, but are still connected via the airways! So, you are going to toss it? Don't you still have your "S" pass?

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 5:01 pm

I can but there are 2 problems:

1 - With EP/S Pass I can't plan to settle. Buy flat, have kids and send them to school (International Schools are out of budget for me, ...)

2 - I have a huge problem with my company. I was hoping to get the PR to be able to sue them. And I think I can't wait anymore and I will do it anyway. That means of course to lose my job.

Well, I have a busy week ahead thinking about the possible options. Will try to cool down and think maybe about apply for Entrepass and set a small company. But odds are against it, I think.

Just I have to see if the rejection letter indicates any reason or not

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 5:54 pm

Just my 2 Cents

Things may change and after 2 years, you may get PR.If possible continue working on the same pass and try again after 1-2 years.. I have heard of people who have got it after their 6-7 Application.. Anyway good luck to you...

Even I got rejected few times and my appeals got turned down. But still i dont want to give up and will try again and again after a good interval of time between applications..

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks. But I have applied after 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 years. Each one of the applications with a higher position in the company and higher salary.

And I really want to settle down somewhere, I'm not so young and if I can't wait 2 more years to "maybe" being able to settle here

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 7:31 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:Just my 2 Cents

Things may change and after 2 years, you may get PR.If possible continue working on the same pass and try again after 1-2 years.. I have heard of people who have got it after their 6-7 Application.. Anyway good luck to you...

Even I got rejected few times and my appeals got turned down. But still i dont want to give up and will try again and again after a good interval of time between applications..

Things have only kept getting worse ever since I came here 2 years ago. 2 years later, nothing is gonna change. Its only going to get worse. Getting PR was always tough here, it only for a short duration 2006-2008 when PRs were given away easily. 2 years later I dont see any reason why they would want to change their policy to let more foreigners get PRs especially with what happened in last GE. They will have to do significant changes in the ratios before the next GE.

Adracles, wish you good luck mate. The world is really big and there are much greener shores out there.

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Postby prkravi » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:10 pm

Sorry to hear that Pal...
Stay calm and take a decision...Lets meet some time. It's been a while.

klt

Postby klt » Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:17 pm

Sorry mate....That is a big loss for Singapore itself.

And at the same time it is discouraging to me..making me think of changing my mind to move down there. :(

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:03 am

Asdracles wrote:And I really want to settle down somewhere, I'm not so young and if I can't wait 2 more years to "maybe" being able to settle here

But if you go to another country (assuming it's not your own, which you haven't mentioned) then you won't be able to settle there until you get PR either? In which case, you'll have to start from scratch again with no guarantee that you'll get PR in that country either (unless you're moving to the UK of course in which case you can apply for asylum and they'll fast track you to citizenship in about 3 weeks)
I HAVE MASTERS!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:39 am

Asdracles wrote:Thanks. But I have applied after 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 years. Each one of the applications with a higher position in the company and higher salary.

And I really want to settle down somewhere, I'm not so young and if I can't wait 2 more years to "maybe" being able to settle here

Sorry to hear that, buddy.

Sit down and thought it out carefully. Right now your emotions are playing things up. Do not decide when you are emotional.
Once you have sat down and decide, whatever you decide to do, go for it. Thick or thin stick to it like glue.
No one can tell what lies ahead for Sg , yourself for that matter all of us.
If you need help in Malaysia, Indonesia,OZ , NZ , Sweden, shoot an arrow across , I will see how to advise.
Good Luck and Godspeed.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:04 pm

JayCee wrote:But if you go to another country (assuming it's not your own, which you haven't mentioned) then you won't be able to settle there until you get PR either?

Being european citizen, there are 30 countries where I can settle without paperwork....

Just Singapore was the right place, as my girlfriend is Malaysian, and Malaysia doesn't look so appealing to me for a long-term stay.

Thanks, Mad Scientist. Yes, I'm not going to do anything so quickly. Will wait for the letter, will see if there is any reason, might try an appeal (hopeless, but no big waste of time or money) and only then I will start the case against my current company.

Thanks all for your concerns!

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 1:53 pm

JayCee wrote:
Asdracles wrote:And I really want to settle down somewhere, I'm not so young and if I can't wait 2 more years to "maybe" being able to settle here

But if you go to another country (assuming it's not your own, which you haven't mentioned) then you won't be able to settle there until you get PR either? In which case, you'll have to start from scratch again with no guarantee that you'll get PR in that country either (unless you're moving to the UK of course in which case you can apply for asylum and they'll fast track you to citizenship in about 3 weeks)

In Australia and Canada, you can apply for PR before even setting foot there. Canada I know has a long waiting list, Australia should be mich easier.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 3:15 pm

revhappy wrote:
JayCee wrote:

In Australia and Canada, you can apply for PR before even setting foot there. Canada I know has a long waiting list, Australia should be mich easier.

I was reading that it's got a lot harder as the Aussies basically did what Singapore did and let loads in without really thinking about it and are now trying to backtrack a little after the locals got a bit restless. I think after the financial crisis everywhere has tightened their belts, although the OP being European has a larger choice of destinations than most (although is there anywhere in Europe which is worth living in nowadays?)
I HAVE MASTERS!

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 3:45 pm

JayCee wrote:
revhappy wrote:
JayCee wrote:

I was reading that it's got a lot harder as the Aussies basically did what Singapore did and let loads in without really thinking about it and are now trying to backtrack a little after the locals got a bit restless. I think after the financial crisis everywhere has tightened their belts, although the OP being European has a larger choice of destinations than most (although is there anywhere in Europe which is worth living in nowadays?)

Yes. Switzerland! See how the CHF is appreciating, as it is considered a safe haven with all the chaos going on in the rest of the world. Switzerland also has the highest salaries in the world. The natural beauty and the climate is plus. If only they spoke english :(.

If I had a choice that would be one country I would love to migrate to.