Singapore Expats Forum

New EP salary bands

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
revhappy
Editor
Editor

New EP salary bands

Postby revhappy » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:29 am

Hey guys,

Just to update you. I just got my EP approved from my new employer, as I got converted from contractor payrolls to permanent payrolls.

Inspite of my base salary being 7.5k/month I got just a P2. Since these new salary bands came into effect since July 1st, I am damn unlucky, I could have got a P1 had my pass been applied before July 1st ](*,)

But on a positive note, I still got my EP approved, with all those rejection stories floating around and that too in 2 days flat. Not all that bad, after all :)

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:34 am

FML

Congratulations on the renewal, though.

:P

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Re: New EP salary bands

Postby shameenali » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:39 am

revhappy wrote:Hey guys,

Just to update you. I just got my EP approved from my new employer, as I got converted from contractor payrolls to permanent payrolls.

Inspite of my base salary being 7.5k/month I got just a P2. Since these new salary bands came into effect since July 1st, I am damn unlucky, I could have got a P1 had my pass been applied before July 1st ](*,)

But on a positive note, I still got my EP approved, with all those rejection stories floating around and that too in 2 days flat. Not all that bad, after all :)

Congrats!

azp123
Regular
Regular

Postby azp123 » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:16 pm

Is there any real difference between P1 and P2 - benefit wise? (i.e if you are not planning to apply for PR)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:27 pm

One VERY BIG DIFFERENCE. You don't need a degree to get a P1 EP.

azp123
Regular
Regular

Postby azp123 » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks SMS. You See I am from an era where there was no categories for EP's. It was just called EP. 8-)

Though surprising & odd. Spot On.

http://www.business.gov.sg/EN/BusinessT ... oyment.htm

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:42 pm

I am also from that era. I've been here 3 decades!

For the record, you should use the MOM links instead as the one you are linking has not been updated with the new minimum salary rates that came into effect on 1 July.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:46 pm

If for a P1 you don't need a degree, which I don't have, have to earn above 7.5k now if revhappy is right, then how come they've just given me a bloody Q pass!

I tell ya, this entrapass thing is a right pain. Got it approved again this year and by the looks of it have to do it every 12 months as that's all they're doing if you're under the old system. It seems like they are being awkward so that they can push me onto the new system. That's not gonna happen.

Looks like PR application needs to be sorted once and for all this year.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

azp123
Regular
Regular

Postby azp123 » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I am also from that era. I've been here 3 decades!

For the record, you should use the MOM links instead as the one you are linking has not been updated with the new minimum salary rates that came into effect on 1 July.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Ofcourse, I know you have been here for 29+ or more may be now.. Thanks for the new link... Bad google - blame it on google ranking
Last edited by azp123 on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:59 pm

As you are in SG for more than 2 years on P2 pass, you can get your PEP. It has almost similar value to that of P1.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 1:00 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:

As you are in SG for more than 2 years on P2 pass, you can get your PEP. It has almost similar value to that of P1.

Thing is, PEP is a oneshot deal and it hasn't been around long enough to discern what are the non-obvious implications.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 1:02 pm

Entrepass is different to normal EP's. Sole prop etc etc.
My 3 options are 1. stay as I am and wait for them to possibly force me onto the new system, 2. go ltd and then EP route or 3. just go PR.

I've been here 4 years now, have my own business, employ locals so hopefully they might look at the PR application favourably. No wife, no kids though and coming up to 40 might be the sticking points against me. But then again who knows these days!

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 1:11 pm

Just realised that to be on a P pass you need to have a "fixed monthly salary". I don't have a fixed salary so that's probably why I get the Q pass. I never noticed that before. Is that new?

To be honest I don't really care if I'm on a P, Q, Z or orange pass (last 2 are fictitious obviously), just as long as I can continue with my business.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 1:50 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:As you are in SG for more than 2 years on P2 pass, you can get your PEP. It has almost similar value to that of P1.

nakatago wrote:Thing is, PEP is a oneshot deal and it hasn't been around long enough to discern what are the non-obvious implications.

I dont really see any difference b/w P1 and P2, once you have the pass, other than the fact that you can apply for PEP right away with the P1 and on P2 you need to wait for 2 yrs.

But may be for PR application process, it might have made a difference. P1 might have higher "points" than P2. If you are trying to apply for credit card or Loan again they might have different limits for P1 vs P2.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 1:50 pm

ukdesigner wrote:If for a P1 you don't need a degree, which I don't have, have to earn above 7.5k now if revhappy is right, then how come they've just given me a bloody Q pass!

I tell ya, this entrapass thing is a right pain. Got it approved again this year and by the looks of it have to do it every 12 months as that's all they're doing if you're under the old system. It seems like they are being awkward so that they can push me onto the new system. That's not gonna happen.

Looks like PR application needs to be sorted once and for all this year.

You need to earn above 8k to get a P1