Singapore Expats Forum

Studying on an EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Ell

Studying on an EP

Post by Ell » Thu, 21 Jul 2011 2:32 pm

Can I study on an EP? I was told this morning by NUS that they won't accept me if I continue to hold an EP, I would have to change over to a Student Pass.

Is this a NUS policy or a general policy? Is it possible to work and study on an EP? Is it possible to work and study on a Student Pass?

Thanks!

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Re: Studying on an EP

Post by shameenali » Thu, 21 Jul 2011 4:44 pm

Ell wrote:Can I study on an EP? I was told this morning by NUS that they won't accept me if I continue to hold an EP, I would have to change over to a Student Pass.

Is this a NUS policy or a general policy? Is it possible to work and study on an EP? Is it possible to work and study on a Student Pass?

Thanks!
Hey
You cannot work while you are on a Student pass. You should be able to study on an EP as a part-time student (to my limited knowledge). Maybe NUS thought that you are applying for courses as a full-time student hence they want you enrolled as a full time student.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 1

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jul 2011 5:44 pm

Actually, you CAN work while on a student pass, but with limitations including the fact that you can only be studying in select schools and you are limited to no more than 16 hours a week.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... dents.aspx

Ell

Post by Ell » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks for your responses SMS and sameenali. It does seem like it is a NUS policy that as a "Non-Graduating Exchange International Student" I cannot work.

Info: http://www.nus.edu.sg/osa/international/svcs/#passinfo

Looks like I can't go to uni here!

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asdracles » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 4:24 pm

I tried this before and face similar problem.

What they told me, it's that EP is only issued to full-time workers. So if you are working full-time, you can't study full-time!

NUS told me that if I was interested in doing any part-time course, that would be possible. I don't remember the arrangements now, because in the end I didn't take any course.

So the only route if you want to do a full time course, is, as mentioned, resign in your work, get a Student Pass and look for a part-time work in the existing conditions for students