Singapore Expats Forum

PR and NS part xvii

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 5:18 pm

BT_M wrote:
ken2r wrote:I ended up sending the letter stating that we felt the kids should make their own decision about PR when they get older. We didn't specifically mention National Service. My wife (who is my PR sponsor) got a phone call last week from the ICA mentioning that if we included the kids, my "PR application would have much greater merit."

This is of no surprise to the responders above of course, but I thought it was noteworthy that they would make such a call. Usually, I just get 1-sentence letters from them. I suppose I'll receive one of those next week.

This particular thread was quoted in another forum(asia1 forum), and was discussed extensively in negative manner by locals. It's better to keep low profile on wanting to become PR and at same time do not wish kids to become PR yet due to NS requirement.

A quick browse of the Asiaone forums and I can't find a single thing involving foreigners that *isn't* discussed in a negative manner. Even completely unrelated topics have "FT" brought up as some kind of bogeyman. Either Singaporeans are complete two-faced (since most people I've met are extremely polite and go out of their way to be accommodating) or the netizens on these types of forums are a minority of xenophobic under-employed dweebs. I sure hope the latter :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 5:28 pm

You will find that they are passive-aggressive. They will be nice to your face until you disagree with them. Then they get all aggressive and name calling and telling you to go back where you came from (especially if they were wrong in the first place).

Their hatred of foreigners is usually just below a VERY thin veneer of civility. Once you realize that, it's easy here.