Singapore Expats

Sharing an apartment with opposite sex

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ninjasuite

Sharing an apartment with opposite sex

Post by ninjasuite » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:23 am

Hi guys I am a student and will go to Singapore to continue my study, and I think to share 4 room apartment with 1 male and 2 female friends whose also student ( each person had their own room) so the cost would be cheaper and I think it's nice to live with people I already know. So I want to ask you guys if living with opposite sex is allowed in Singapore? Thanks :)

nakatago

Re: Sharing an apartment with opposite sex

Post by nakatago » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:29 am

ninjasuite wrote:Hi guys I am a student and will go to Singapore to continue my study, and I think to share 4 room apartment with 1 male and 2 female friends whose also student ( each person had their own room) so the cost would be cheaper and I think it's nice to live with people I already know. So I want to ask you guys if living with opposite sex is allowed in Singapore? Thanks :)
Yes.

As much as some things in Singapore are considered too prudish, living arrangements isn't one of them (ergo, you can live with other genders who are not your relatives and the police won't mind).

Just remember to be good, aye?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Sharing an apartment with opposite sex

Post by JayCee » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:49 am

ninjasuite wrote:Hi guys I am a student and will go to Singapore to continue my study, and I think to share 4 room apartment with 1 male and 2 female friends whose also student ( each person had their own room) so the cost would be cheaper and I think it's nice to live with people I already know. So I want to ask you guys if living with opposite sex is allowed in Singapore? Thanks :)
This isn't the middle ages, so yes it's ok
I HAVE MASTERS!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:40 pm

Legally - no problem, culturally - varies :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 2:41 pm

Sounds to me like you all want to live the improper life especially after coming from Indonesia and their Sharia Law "Khalwat". Not sure if Muis has the same type of Sharia police here or not.

From my investigations, even if you all have separate bedrooms, the fact that once you close the main door of your rental flat, you will be in a state of Khalwat.

Anyway, in response to x9200, legally, in your case, unless you are Indonesian Chinese, I would have to respectfully disagree.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/54304275/FIQH ... t-Coupling
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 7:32 pm

Hi SMS, yes, but isn't still the cultural (religious) unenforceable part?

The jurisdiction of the Syariah Court of Singapore is spelt out in Section 35(2) and Section 52(1) of the Administration of Muslim Law Act: "The Court shall hear and determine all actions and proceedings in which all the parties are Muslims or where the parties were married under the provisions of the Muslim law and which involve disputes relating to -
-marriage;
-divorces known in the Muslim law as fasakh, ta'lik divorce, khulu' and talak;
-betrothal, nullity of marriage or judicial separation;
-the disposition or division of property on divorce; or
-the payment of maskahwin, maintenance and consolatory gifts or mut'ah.

It does not appear the mixed gender cohabitation falls into any of the above categories.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 9:17 pm

That's why I was wondering. I don't know what the depth of Syariah Law "as it pertains to the Muslim Community" actually has here in Singapore. If it's that lax, then the traffic to Singapore from our neighbours should be tremendous I should think. Especially from those looking for a fling. :wink:

Maybe I should change my post to say morally instead of legally. :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:58 am

It is always a tricky area but I guess they could not declare to have Sharia Law for Muslims only and freedom of religion within one country.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 9:27 am

I think I can shed some light to this having living in Saudi many years ago and understand the religion deeper
Let's break it in two parts

If she is a Muslimah and she is living under one roof with a Non Mahram which is not a family member be it in separate rooms or not, there will be times inter mingling occurs and there are times opposite sex will come into context hence it is illegal and in the eyes of the Quran and Hadith is haram.
AS one of the hadeeth from Muhammad PBUH said " If there are two persons in a room whom are not mahram, the third person is the Satan."

It does not matter whether it is applied in Saudi , UAE or even Malaysia which is equivalent to khalwat as what SMS mentioned. Punishment varies from different countries to another
In Saudi. Malaysia, Indonesia , Brunei, UAE , men got jail because of this
http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/hade ... hap291.htm

Now in Singapore because the context of the governing government which display the country as secular hence the implementation of this ruling on Muslim befalls onto MUIS. The respect of the four main religion i.e Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism and Islam does not equate of having the power and the teeth to implement Shariah Law per se. MUIS only provide the guidance and information but the implementation is left to the government
Therefore in SG Context it is not illegal as you are not breaking the law of the land. As a Muslim or Muslimah yes you are and is left between you and Allah to decide. MUIS will not take any action to your agenda
BTW I studied the Quran and the Hadeeth during my time in Saudi as there are not much thing to do other than working. :cool:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!