Singapore Expats Forum

Travel insurance - agencies in Singapore

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
granator

Travel insurance - agencies in Singapore

Postby granator » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 5:45 pm

Hi all,
I will be traveling to Nepal in November for trekking (3 weeks). Many people recommended me to take up travel insurance for this trip, since I will be attempting a fairly high-altitude peak (Mera Peak, 6500 metres) and God forbid, I might need rescuing in an unfortunate situation.
For such mountaineering activities, what kind of a travel insurance product is recommended? Does any one have prior experience with getting such an insurance or in dealing with any of the financial institutions here who give out such insurance? My particular concern is the insurance should cover emergency medical evacuation via helicopter at roughly 5000 metres altitude. I have tried checking out DBS Travelshield, NTUC Income Travel Insurance and other such products; and will soon start visiting their offices for more details. Your help would be highly appreciated, so I can get a good deal :)

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 6:46 pm

The Chartis product is good - you need to read the fine print though - it is a UNPAID VACATION and you're not getting sponsorships etc on it. If you have issues with them let me know (I had the same issue with my trip to K2).

Dquekch

travel insurance for above 6000m summit trek

Postby Dquekch » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:42 pm

I am going next to Ladakh to climb Stok Kangri (6200m). Still looking for a travel insurance to cover high attitude evacuation and such. Did u say Chartis covers such climbing trips ? How do they qualify to include or exclude ?