Singapore Expats

How to set up an enrichment centre?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
London_Expats_2010

How to set up an enrichment centre?

Post by London_Expats_2010 » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 4:50 pm

Hi,

I have been living in Singapore for a while and I am interested in setting up an enrichment centre. I was looking for advice on two fronts:

1). Does anyone know of any business consultants that can help me step through the requirements to set up the enrichment centre?

2). Can anyone guide on the detailed requirements of what approvals I will require?

Thanks you in advance.

SK

taxico
Director
Director

Re: How to set up an enrichment centre?

Post by taxico » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 8:51 pm

London_Expats_2010 wrote:...I am interested in setting up an enrichment centre. I was looking for advice on two fronts:

1). Does anyone know of any business consultants that can help me step through the requirements to set up the enrichment centre?

2). Can anyone guide on the detailed requirements of what approvals I will require?
my wife started running a speech therapy and language enrichment school catering to the expat community earlier this year. there're no consultants required. tuition/enrichment schools are similar in the sense that they are not institutions that require registration with CPE (can't issue student visas, etc) or other professional bodies.

the following is what you'll need to do (not in any particular order - just recalling what she had to go through):

you'll need to register your own business. if you're not a singaporean/PR, you might need some permits to before starting up your own business.

then find a suitable place. if you're renting, MAKE SURE YOU GET IT IN WRITING THAT the tenancy agreement will be valid ONLY IF THE PLACE IS APPROVED FOR USE as an enrichment centre by ALL RELEVANT AUTHORITIES. if you're buying, do due diligence.

hire a professional engineer. he'll be doing submissions to the relevant departments for you (fire cert, change of use, A&A, etc) as well as advising the fire safety requirements for your school/centre. the engineer's lump sum payment will cost $2,000 onwards, probably a max of about $9,000. you shouldn't pay too much so shop around first.

draw up a plan for your curricula. get a few teachers. register online with MOE (check moe's website for what's required) and mail in the required paperwork. once your school registraion certificate is granted, the toughest parts are over (the certificate does not expire) and you can legitimately start operating.

your worse enemy will be rental costs and finding suitably qualified trainers/teachers. the other enemy will be the start up cost.

my wife paid close to $100k to renovate (from scratch) her 1500 sq feet premises (6 therapy/class rooms and a library) and had a confusing time over the exact fire safety requirements (very important).

be prepared to bleed for a while (6-10 months) as these places usually take a while to catch on... good luck! i hope you'll add value to whatever people you plan to teach.
Last edited by taxico on Sun, 17 Jul 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 9:01 pm

btw, if you're ever confused about the fire safety requirements, you can walk into the fire department HQ at paya lebar/ubi (??? google please) for a "layperson's consultation" - it's free of charge and you get to speak to a senior fire safety officer/inspector.

registered inspectors, professional engineers, fire safety board and ministry of education (among SOME of the interested parties) can sometimes be at odds with each other over what is required and what is not.

the fire department will then issue a written reply to your answers and you can use this as a talisman against every one else.

(knock on wood!)

oh. your business needs to be registered correctly using the right code for TUITION CENTRE and/or ENRICHMENT CENTRE. tuition agency is the wrong business code and MOE will reject your appication.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 9:23 pm

London_Expats_2010 wrote:Hi,

I have been living in Singapore for a while and I am interested in setting up an enrichment centre. I was looking for advice on two fronts:

Thanks you in advance.

SK
Out of interest what is it?
Sounds like something to do with the Scientologists!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:13 pm

Aren't timeshare and mlm centres also "enrichment" centres? At least for those at the top of the chains anyway....... :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

London_Expats_2010

Thank you

Post by London_Expats_2010 » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:25 pm

Hi Taxico,
Thank you very much for post, that really was very helpful and I really appreacite your time and effort. Is there any way I can get your email to email you if I have any further questions?
Thanks
SK

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:33 pm

London_Expats_2010 wrote:Hi,

Thanks you in advance.

SK
What is your status? PR? EP? DP? Other? Big difference as to what you must do.

London_Expats_2010

Post by London_Expats_2010 » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 7:14 am

I am a DPEP, however have applied for PR, which hopefully should come through in the next couple of months.
Thanks,
SK

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 7:52 am

London_Expats_2010 wrote:I am a DPEP, however have applied for PR, which hopefully should come through in the next couple of months.
Thanks,
SK
You are on a dependent's pass, correct?

London_Expats_2010

Post by London_Expats_2010 » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:34 pm

Yes that's a dependant pass.
Thanks
SK

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:11 pm

for further clarification, i thought i should add that...

facilities running programs for little tikes and tots (child care programs) are not considered enrichment centres in singapore in the sense that they come under the purview of MCYS, not MOE, and require additional licensing and financial requirements.

the same goes for student care centres.

enrichment, tuition, and language schools are under moe's purview.

echo1998

Post by echo1998 » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 9:28 am

I am also thinking about start a enrichment center/tuition. I know how to register etc. If you teach pre-school children, you need a certificate. Otherweis it is not required.
There are a lot of enrichment centers for sale/takeover. The takeover fee sometimes is even cheaper than renovation. Most important, then you don't need to apply all that fire requirments!
One life, live it well!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 3:41 pm

The whole of Singapore is an enrichment centre - for the financial enrichment of its inhabitants!

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Sat, 17 Sep 2011 8:19 am

My favorite ones are the ones called "brain training", "brain development" etc. And then they sit down a child in front of tv, attach wires to the head and display tons of pictures in a minute. Indeed, development. :?

Special1

Post by Special1 » Mon, 27 Feb 2012 9:08 pm

Hi All

thanks for the detailed writeup. I am interested to setup an enrichment center as well, and after reading thru the posts, I have some queries which I hope can be advised

With regards to the license, which body should I approach if I am keen to setup an enrichment class for pre-school or primary school students. This is more like a speech and drama class, whereby we teach the students curiculum like reading and phonics. I am a bit confused on this.

thanks.