Singapore Expats

SGD$3000 Per month... Holly F*ck!

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
dani2012

Post by dani2012 » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:13 pm

Welcome to Singapore.... But hlcohol is rather expensive in Singapore.... good luck
I love wall decals and wall stickers http://www.stickers.sg

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:45 pm

nakatago wrote:
Is this like

"RUN! SAVE YOURSELVES! IT'S TOO LATE FOR US NOW!"

?

:P

Haha, yes, something like that...... seen the stock market yet today? :twisted:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:55 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
nakatago wrote:
Is this like

"RUN! SAVE YOURSELVES! IT'S TOO LATE FOR US NOW!"

?

:P

Haha, yes, something like that...... seen the stock market yet today? :twisted:
(fingers in ears) LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA.....
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

lindsayvine

Post by lindsayvine » Sun, 07 Aug 2011 1:13 am

Cheers Everyone...

It's going to be hard. Very hard. But doesn't that make everything much more worth it in the end?

My Father died in 2006 after a 10 day battle with Lung Cancer - that truly shook my view of life and the way I was living it. So, I took a sabbatical from the Police and travelled all over Asia back in 2008 and somehow managed to make a TV show out of it (101Challenges if you're ever bored).

I've sold everything I have and have a bit of safety-savings money if I need it and my flat is leased out so that's covering the mortgage.

I'm coming to Singapore and I'm going to be poor. Simple. But I have planned my year - I'm eating at the hawker centres (I loved doing this all over India and China and Thailand etc) and I'll go and have a nice beer from the 7/11. And then another...

I do want to stay in a nice place - location not important - but a nice place with AC, wi-fi and decent flat mates - so if anyone knows anyone who's looking to share then please get in touch. Nat and I are nice peeps and both have a good sense of humour - the orange peel post above actually makes me feel prouder to be Scottish!

Hopefully, when Nat gets the relevant pass and a job - we'll have enough disposable income to play with. We don't intend on saving a single penny this next year - we do intend on enjoying a new experience.

We fly out on Sunday. Stopping at Sri Lanka for a nice little chillaxing break to assist in climatising to the heat.

Again, thanks for the reality checks and the honest feedback - greatly appreciated!

Lindsay (and Nat)
I'd rather live and regret what I have done than have to live and regret doing nothing at all.

Racheew

Post by Racheew » Thu, 11 Aug 2011 4:37 pm

Good luck Lindsay! (and Nat),

My boyfriend and i will be doing much the same next year and its nice to see that you have a positive attitude to the negativity that can be seen on this thread!! People tend to think you haven't thought things through, when all you are doing is living life!

As you guys aren't married, you will need to apply for a long term visa pass LTVP and go from there.

I hear you on the liking to drink! Something we are going to struggle with - especially on a nice sunny arvo! Boyfriend even thought of doing beer runs across the boarder before i informed him of the trouble he might get into!

I wish you guys all the luck! And i'll keep my eyes out for you!

Rachel

Helbel

Post by Helbel » Sun, 14 Aug 2011 9:33 pm

Good luck to you Lindsay. I like your attitude. Hope you enjoy life in Singapore.

devilsadvocate

Good Luck

Post by devilsadvocate » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 5:26 pm

Thats the spirit.

Do hope i bump into you one day. I love meeting positive people.

Cheerio.

Devils Advocate

Jadesy

Post by Jadesy » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 9:30 pm

Lindsay - we're also about to move from Scotland at the end of this year, and will be trying to do it as cheaply as possible (company not very supportive since I'd asked to be moved as opposed to business requirement). Would love to hear more about your experiences and chat directly for advice/opinions on certain stuff - can you PM (I've not been on the forum long enough to be able to PM people) and I could ask a fellow alcoholic (lol) Scots opinion on some things!

lindsayvine

Post by lindsayvine » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 6:21 pm

Jadesy,

Living here is VERY doable on a budget. I'm actually shocked at how good it is!

Natalie (my girlfriend) and I have breakfast...

4 Rotti's
2 Curry's
4 Ice Coffees
(Indian Breakfast because we love India)
Total cost...
$10.20 (a tiny bit over £5)

For lunch...

2 plates of rice, chicken, dumplings and vegetables plus two drinks (normally 11+ or a coke each)
Total cost...
$9 (£4.50 for both of us)

For dinner...

A variation of similar things to lunch. Plus a large beer between us.
Total cost...
$14 (£7)

We are living very comfortably on £10 a day each.

Rent is a killer though. $2000 (including utilities) between us per month. But that includes a pool, a gym, tennis courts and cable and internet.

We have a disposable income between us of about $7000 per month and because we own property already - we aren't saving for anything.

Beer is a killer. Last night I ordered a small bottle of beer, a pint and a bicardi and coke was $40.

Keep in touch!
I'd rather live and regret what I have done than have to live and regret doing nothing at all.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 2:39 am

It is POSSIBLE to live like lindsayvine above (in fact I did it for years), but:

- The food mentioned is all from (out of the city) hawker centres, which offer very cheap food, but are not the healthiest and the athmosphere is loud and sweaty. Most people want a proper dinner in style from time to time. This costs at least S$20 per person, S$40 with wine. (On the other hand, cooking at home does not save you money and might well cost more than at the hawkers!)

- Food is generally not a major portion in one's budget (average 15% of disposable income). Everything else (maybe with the exception of public transport) costs as much or more here than at home.

- It is, by now, impossible to find a condo with pool/gym/tennis for under S$3000 - lindsayvine must have moved in several years ago and have a nice landlord who didn't increase rent. Even basic HDBs far from the centre now cost around that (incl. utilities).

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 3:00 am

lindsayvine wrote:Jadesy,

Living here is VERY doable on a budget. I'm actually shocked at how good it is!

Natalie (my girlfriend) and I have breakfast...

4 Rotti's
2 Curry's
4 Ice Coffees
(Indian Breakfast because we love India)
Total cost...
$10.20 (a tiny bit over £5)

For lunch...

2 plates of rice, chicken, dumplings and vegetables plus two drinks (normally 11+ or a coke each)
Total cost...
$9 (£4.50 for both of us)

For dinner...

A variation of similar things to lunch. Plus a large beer between us.
Total cost...
$14 (£7)

We are living very comfortably on £10 a day each.

Rent is a killer though. $2000 (including utilities) between us per month. But that includes a pool, a gym, tennis courts and cable and internet.

We have a disposable income between us of about $7000 per month and because we own property already - we aren't saving for anything.

Beer is a killer. Last night I ordered a small bottle of beer, a pint and a bicardi and coke was $40.

Keep in touch!
7k disposable after housing and bills would give you a pretty comfortable existence each month.....

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 4:00 am

The food mentioned is all from (out of the city) hawker centres, which offer very cheap food, but are not the healthiest and the atmosphere is loud and sweaty. Most people want a proper dinner in style from time to time. This costs at least S$20 per person, S$40 with wine. (On the other hand, cooking at home does not save you money and might well cost more than at the hawkers!)
Actually we exhibit at every food & beverage exhibition in Singapore, Suntec will finish today! I can honestly say that the food quality can be compared to many western outlets here, the only difference is price. Hawkers too are strictly controlled for hygeine and graded, just as well as any City restaurant.

Though my understanding is that expats in general do not integrate well with locals, which is the individuals problem, though I will stick up for the food industry here, as we are part of it.

Occasionally other foreign owned food & beverage business from Europe do exhibit too, as the dutch import cheese, the Italians import ice cream, and the Taiwanese import many many health foods which are hand made and sold in some hawker centres too.

The additives and colourings passed by Europe are also used in Singapore, many of these additives are not healthy, but are legal and you will discover that you are eating them all in many high class restaurants too.

So I'm afraid that I have to disagree with what Beppi says on the food. Of course, Singapore is hot and humid and it is warm at hawkers and everyone needs a break from the same routine.

We personally cook at home 2 or 3 times a week, hawker food occasionally and take to the city at weekends. I refuse to eat carl jr's or any other fast food outlet most of the time and prefer a Taiwanese restaurant that will set one back around $25

But if you search around you can find excellent healthy food especially hand made noodles, with no additives or artificial colouring at some outlets.

Most people haven't a clue what goes into the food and I'm sure that restaurants will tell you what you want you to hear rather than divulge the ingredients! :wink:

Though I am very surprised at the exhibitions we have been doing for over 6 years that very few expats ever visit the food & beverage exhibitions and know very very little about local and foreign food available in Singapore some cheap some expensive, but in general you pay for the pleasure experience and atmosphere of a restaurant even if it's bad food and I've had my fair share of bad food, like all the western franchise food chains here, which is junk food for a price well above the local markets produce.

My advice is to explore Singapore's food with more enthusiasm to find the quality healthy foods available, the locals are no different than other humans, they can also be health conscious and cater for health at hawker outlets :lol:

Though would an expat know that some Singaporean cooks in hawkers have also learnt overseas.

The best laksa ever can be found in Kovan for $2.50 by the way! There are still lots of business opportunities in Singapore for cheap good healthy food.

lindsayvine

Post by lindsayvine » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 9:38 am

To correct a few points...

We have $7000 per month before rent.

We arrived in Singapore 2 weeks ago and renting a master room in a 3 bedroom condo does cost under $2000 per month (and that's including utilities)

I also have to disagree with you Beppi. Hawker centres are in the CBD. Food courts (with AC) Hawkers centres (without). I work in Chinatown and the choice is overwhelming. Plus, despite loving the occassional fine wine and great food, hawker centres are fun. Loads of choice and you get what you need. Good food. Quick. Hot. Done. Dusted.

Cheers!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Re: Reply

Post by BillyB » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 11:29 am

lindsayvine wrote:To correct a few points...

We have $7000 per month before rent.

We arrived in Singapore 2 weeks ago and renting a master room in a 3 bedroom condo does cost under $2000 per month (and that's including utilities)

I also have to disagree with you Beppi. Hawker centres are in the CBD. Food courts (with AC) Hawkers centres (without). I work in Chinatown and the choice is overwhelming. Plus, despite loving the occassional fine wine and great food, hawker centres are fun. Loads of choice and you get what you need. Good food. Quick. Hot. Done. Dusted.

Cheers!
Hey Lindsay, no doubt you'll be doing fine on that budget - it's very do-able.

I'll look you up for a beer or bite to eat in a couple weeks after I return to SG.

P.S. I remember seeing the porgramme you were in a few years back!!

lindsayvine

BillyB

Post by lindsayvine » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 2:34 pm

Hello BillyB,

I knew that "show" would catch up with me one day :(

Anyhow - the $7000 is for 2 people (Nat, my girlfriend and I). So I'm even poorer than I was 2 replies ago!

Definitely up for a beer!

Don't suppose you know anyone with a condo looking for 2 cool flatmates to share with (we're looking for a master room).