Singapore Expats Forum

Need help & advices regarding as mentioned inside:

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

or1onz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 14 Jul 2011

Need help & advices regarding as mentioned inside:

Postby or1onz » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 9:16 am

Dear all,

I would like to opinions and advices from your all regarding to this case below:

I am here to enquire about a problem I have faced and I am sorry if I have e-mailed to the wrong section.

A colleague of mine show me today a laminated photo of my partner and myself, and my colleague pointed out the piece of photo was found on a chair. Upon checking on the photo, I felt strange as I have never print out that photo. After confirmation with my partner, she also pointed out that she never print any photos of our gathering. Nevertheless the photo was even put with a frame(with pictures) and laminated!

This is strange as all of our photos were only kept in our mobile phones(with pin-locked and didn't lend to friends), personal laptop and backup in external harddisk but never of these photos were published on the net nor share with other parties. Everything was kept and none were shared or view by anyone except both of us.
[Only on some occasion did I put on my desk for charging but I was away from my desk]

There is a possibility that somebody have manage to gain access to my photos and other documents without my knowledge and are showing the laminated photo on purpose.

As this happened inside the company I am working at, I have a plan to contact straight to the HR manager.
And if the thing happen again, I am thinking to report straight to the police but I am not sure whether can they help.

"Illegal possession of someone property and publish it without the owner's knowledge and permission." I wonder this count as a crime?

Any advices?
Thanks!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9160
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Need help & advices regarding as mentioned inside:

Postby x9200 » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 9:41 am

or1onz wrote:"Illegal possession of someone property and publish it without the owner's knowledge and permission." I wonder this count as a crime?

1. It was not published unless your chair is a broadcasting station.
2. Illegal possession - a bit doubtful - it will be a minor offence IMO if any and probably if not charged with the following (see next point) it will be easy to get away with.
3. Breaking to your mobile, desktop, laptop is illegal. Frankly, I don't know how is this phrased in Singapore law but typically the act of overriding some protecting instruments/features (passwords, firewalls etc.) for the purpose of gaining access to data (etc.), in other words "hacking" is illegal and criminal.

By "our gathering" you mean only you and your partner or a bigger group of people?

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 9:45 am

Facebook?

or1onz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 14 Jul 2011

Re: Need help & advices regarding as mentioned inside:

Postby or1onz » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 9:57 am

x9200 wrote:
or1onz wrote:"Illegal possession of someone property and publish it without the owner's knowledge and permission." I wonder this count as a crime?

1. It was not published unless your chair is a broadcasting station.
2. Illegal possession - a bit doubtful - it will be a minor offence IMO if any and probably if not charged with the following (see next point) it will be easy to get away with.
3. Breaking to your mobile, desktop, laptop is illegal. Frankly, I don't know how is this phrased in Singapore law but typically the act of overriding some protecting instruments/features (passwords, firewalls etc.) for the purpose of gaining access to data (etc.), in other words "hacking" is illegal and criminal.

By "our gathering" you mean only you and your partner or a bigger group of people?


--> 1. Sorry but I am not sure what do you mean by this.

I am also not sure how that will be looked in terms of Singapore law and I am hoping to seek advices from them.

Gathering of only my partner and me. Two person only.

or1onz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 14 Jul 2011

Postby or1onz » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 9:58 am

Saint wrote:Facebook?


Nope. All the photos were remained offline and not one were published on the net, including social networks nor instant messenger avatar, forum signatures and such.

ponerse
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 14 Jul 2011

Need help on Divorce Lawyer

Postby ponerse » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:44 am

Hi there,

Is there any family / divorce lawyer anyone can recommend?

I need someone who is good in the UAE law as while as the Australian law in my case as my wife whom i have separated from for 1+ years is now looking into getting more settlement from what we agreed to & have paid when i asked to proceed to get a divorce.

Appreciate any advice or comments.
Thanks in advance.

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Need help & advices regarding as mentioned inside:

Postby taxico » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:39 pm

or1onz wrote:Everything was kept and none were shared or view by anyone except both of us.
[Only on some occasion did I put on my desk for charging but I was away from my desk]

There is a possibility that somebody have manage to gain access to my photos and other documents without my knowledge and are showing the laminated photo on purpose.

As this happened inside the company I am working at, I have a plan to contact straight to the HR manager.

And if the thing happen again, I am thinking to report straight to the police but I am not sure whether can they help.

"Illegal possession of someone property and publish it without the owner's knowledge and permission." I wonder this count as a crime


there is a Computer Misuse Act in singapore (i nearly had the book thrown at me when it came into force back in 1998) which covers computers, but i'm not sure if it covers cellphones - it could have been amended to include devices like thumbdrives (which could cover your cell phone's memory card and other portable drives).

HOWEVER the police will likely NOT take any action as your case seems quite minor and petty IN THEIR OPINION and not worth their time.

yes, they will take your statement but it won't go anywhere. so, unless you are being blackmailed or have lost proprietary data, you should save your time by not going to the police station.

i'm not sure what you expect your HR manager to do either. are there surveillance cameras in your office? data/information security is your responsibility and there HAS to be a lapse somewhere for this picture to have leaked out.

these days, OFFLINE means DATs in a vault somewhere (and even then i wouldn't put any money on it)... not in a hdd at home or a PIN-locked cell.

i recommend using truecrypt and compusec for your hard disk and laptop. i am not sure what phones you use, but i have a blackberry with blackberry protect - still someone can just yank my memory card out and copy the files without me ever knowing.

what i'm curious is... WHY was the photo printed and framed... good luck solving this mystery.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Winterly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 05 Aug 2011

Postby Winterly » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks for sharing.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10408
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:50 pm

Winterly wrote:Thanks for sharing.


Some serious "tic - toc" going on here.

As a matter of fact he just went 'buh-bye' after 3 more useless posts.
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9160
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:52 pm

Yep.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests