Singapore Expats Forum

Employer sponsorship of wife for DP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
passersby

Employer sponsorship of wife for DP

Postby passersby » Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:07 pm

Hi all,

I am on EP and I am planning to apply a DP for my wife and an 8-month old son. Is there any way aside from my employer sponsoring it for my wife and son? The reason is my employer is somewhat reluctant of doing so. He wanted me to research if there are any liabilities on their part whatsoever if they sponsor for my family's DP. Maybe, they just want to know if they have any liabilities, e.g. insurance, hospitalization and the likes, if anything happens to my family. In any case, do they have any liabilities at all or their signing/sponsoring is just some sort of formality? Nothing is mentioned regarding this on the MOM site. I am not so sure. Please help.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Re: Employer sponsorship of wife for DP

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:06 am

passersby wrote:Hi all,

I am on EP and I am planning to apply a DP for my wife and an 8-month old son. Is there any way aside from my employer sponsoring it for my wife and son? The reason is my employer is somewhat reluctant of doing so. He wanted me to research if there are any liabilities on their part whatsoever if they sponsor for my family's DP. Maybe, they just want to know if they have any liabilities, e.g. insurance, hospitalization and the likes, if anything happens to my family. In any case, do they have any liabilities at all or their signing/sponsoring is just some sort of formality? Nothing is mentioned regarding this on the MOM site. I am not so sure. Please help.

Only Two Options:

1.Employer Sponsor for the DP
2. Your spouse finds a job a SG and they gets a EP/WP. Then apply DP for the kid.
3. Student Pass for studying in SG - I guess this would be ruled in your case?

No Other options I guess

passersby

Postby passersby » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 5:32 pm

If my employer is to sponsor my wife and kid, do they have any obligation or liabilities whatsoever?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 5:38 pm

Yep, sure do. That is why they are called sponsors. They would have to be responsible for the repatriation of the dependents if something should happen untoward.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 6:22 pm

No obligation for insurance or hospitalization AFAIK. If there are, I've been getting ripped off by my husband's employer (which wouldn't surprise me in the least :-\ )