Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Girl HomeComing

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

jade

Singapore Girl HomeComing

Postby jade » Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:20 pm

Hi there - Asking for assistance from expats and
whoever in Singapore. I am Singaporean and after living in Sydney & Vancouver for the past 13 years - am coming home...
Whats been going on and what's the job market there like? Heard it's picking up -

Looking for any pertinent news from there as I'm filled with trepidation :roll: about settling back there. I felt like a foreigner whenever I visit so...
looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers.
Singaporean relocating
beginning of Sept 2004
after 13 years in Australia & Canada
Looking to expats to show me around when I'm back

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:28 pm

Picking up if you believe the government, after what is generally acknowledged to be the toughest time in ages... what's your field? And why are you returning without a job lined up?

Mind your attitude if u dun mind

Postby Guest » Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:25 pm

If I may so in the politest of tones,
your attitude needs some adjustment
If you are so filled with trepidation that makes you feel like a foreigner when you return home, you might as well stay away.
No offence intended, and I do empathise some
But youve got to change some of your anti feelings
to neutral if you are going to make your stay more than a fleeting one :wink:

alvinwan

Jobs in Singapore

Postby alvinwan » Mon, 03 May 2004 4:40 pm

I think the market is better. As I can see from the straits times newspaper, the recruitment section has since improved in the number of pages count.

It also depends on the industry you are in. The Banking sector seems to remain in the Red but manufacturing seems to have been in the blues, with many company a lot of new jobs :lol:

klein

Re: Singapore Girl HomeComing

Postby klein » Mon, 03 May 2004 5:01 pm

To be frank, market conditions here is no longer the same years back.
Mentally, be prepared that it is worse off than 13 years ago before you left Singapore.

Job opportunities are improving but very slowly.
Good luck!

jade wrote:Hi there - Asking for assistance from expats and
whoever in Singapore. I am Singaporean and after living in Sydney & Vancouver for the past 13 years - am coming home...
Whats been going on and what's the job market there like? Heard it's picking up -

Looking for any pertinent news from there as I'm filled with trepidation :roll: about settling back there. I felt like a foreigner whenever I visit so...

Cheers.

Postby Guest » Fri, 11 Jun 2004 4:52 pm

do not come at any cost.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, 13 Aug 2004 2:29 pm

Some tips from an oldie: I am a Malaysian (Singapore PR) and was in Australia for 10 years (1965-1975). Having spent nearly all my adolescent years there and being thoroughly familiar with Australian culture, when I came back to Asia, I faced a culture shock of immense proportions! Of course, it's different if you did not go overseas at the age of 13, like I did. I'm still having difficulties integrating here. Being proficient in only one language does not help either. If you are happy in Canada or Australia and if everything is going great for you there, why come back?

On the other hand, you may have good reasons to return, such as family matters, etc. Jobs are no problem, I think. The economy is improving. In fact, it seems to be growing at the rate of 8-9%, according to recent news reports.

The only thing I can't stand is the humidity.

Avalon

8-9% growth

Postby Avalon » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 9:18 am

Dear Friend,

Do you all know what is the base year that this 8-9% growth.... If I am not wrong it's during one of the worst year where singapore is experiencing recession. Therefore even with this growth rate, we are still not at our peak economy era.

jpatokal

Re: 8-9% growth

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 1:48 pm

Avalon wrote:Dear Friend,

Do you all know what is the base year that this 8-9% growth.... If I am not wrong it's during one of the worst year where singapore is experiencing recession. Therefore even with this growth rate, we are still not at our peak economy era.

The base year is Q2 2003, when Singapore was hit by SARS.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 1:51 pm

Just don't support the Falun Gong in public, kids:

http://www.sfdonline.org/Link%20Pages/L ... 70701.html

Guest, japan

Returning to Singapore?

Postby Guest, japan » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 7:21 pm

Hi Jade,

S'poreans are living for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, China, Vietnam in search for jobs and remain living at host country.

No S'poreans would think about returning. You should be staying in oversea and not returning. You can also invite your family and friends to join you.

Do not believe on the news about the good economy in Singapore.

Plenty of Jobs

Postby Plenty of Jobs » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 8:32 pm

Hi Jade,

Don't listen to all the anysayers out there. If you have a reasonably education, are Chinese and speak Mandarin, there are lots of jobs to be had. If you are one of the Minorities and have a Phd better stay in Canada or Australia where you will be treated with equality.

MR Spyder

Postby MR Spyder » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 3:39 pm

Welcome back to Singapore! Be it whether you're a Singapore citizen or PR or expat... you won't be treated differently in anyway! :)

Postby Guest » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 2:39 am

MR Spyder wrote:Welcome back to Singapore! Be it whether you're a Singapore citizen or PR or expat... you won't be treated differently in anyway! :)

Won't be treated differently?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess you have been living in Pulau Ubin all these years.

Get Real!
Singapore citizen, PR and Foreign talent are treated differently!!
Just look at our government policies for them!

To Threadstarter:
If there are better opportunties over your side, I would suggest stay there for a few years before coming back! At current state, our economy isn't that good regardless what our government had 'shown' the statistics figures. But then again, depend on which industry you are at.

Mr_808

Re: Singapore Girl HomeComing

Postby Mr_808 » Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:41 am

jade wrote:Hi there - Asking for assistance from expats and

Cheers.

Are you now in Sydney or Vancouver? I was pursuing my studies in Sydney for the past 4 years, and I love my stay there. It's only that I couldn't manage to get the PR status that I decided to come to Singapore. If I were you, I would choose to stay there. btw, I heard that Alberta province is doing very good in economy, is that rite?