Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for American Friends for Accent Exchange.

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:25 pm

ecureilx wrote:I couldn't take it - barged it, and told the tailor "uncle, this one ha, original, this one ha, new, new one cut for old one size, can ?? "

The tailor was "oh, why your friend dont' speak english ha .

Oh yes; the irony... :roll:

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Postby AngelJoy » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 1:31 pm

ecureilx wrote:
AngelJoy wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:You know how locals, behind the expats backs & and occasionally to their faces, laugh at our pathetic attempts at assimilating into Singapore and trying to speak "singlish'? The same is going to happen there but it will be our turn to laugh.

i never try to learn singlish or speak like singaporeans.

No wonder you eat in the expensive restaurants and skip the cheaper coffee shops :D :D

hahhahaha i do eat at the cheaper coffee shops from time to time but have no problem doing so!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 2:15 pm

nakatago wrote: Oh yes; the irony... :roll:

And many years ago, when I arrived, I went to a coffee shop, and asked the guy "Uncle, can I have a ribena"

The answer "Drink packet ?"

I was like - yes, the ribena that come in a packet .. and I wanted to drink it, so I said "YES"

He was "WHAT YES ? YOU FOREIGNER DUNNO ENGLISH ? GO LEARN ENGLISH .. WE SINGAPORE .. NO ENGLISH, NO CAN DO .. "

Only when a colleague stepped in and reminded me that the uncle's question was "DRINK HERE OR PACKET IT AWAY" shortened to "DRINK PACKET"

Welcome to Singapore .. and 12 years later, I have friends who see me order in Singlish and they go "Oh, so you do speak chinese ?? " :D :D

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 2:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:He was "WHAT YES ? YOU FOREIGNER DUNNO ENGLISH ? GO LEARN ENGLISH .. WE SINGAPORE .. NO ENGLISH, NO CAN DO ..

again, :roll:

on the flipside, our downstairs neighbors said "my english is not very good...." and she proceeded to explain stuff she was trying to tell us. sounded good enough to me.

BTW, @OP, it's safe to say that you'll be fine when you go to the US. Geeks understand each other, no matter the language [source: I'm a geek]

kai.c

Postby kai.c » Thu, 28 Jul 2011 7:47 pm

Wudup,

Names Kai, 21yr old chinese american. Grew up in uptown NYC, im here in Singapore alone. If u wunna have dat Nuu yawwk accent. First u gotta catch onto dem slangs ya feel me? :cool: