Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for American Friends for Accent Exchange.

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 13 Jul 2011 6:28 am

Toddler1 wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:No thanks !!

I don't suppose I should ask what's going on in your mind that causes you to react so violently ;p

The last surgeon who did the ops on my brain did not find anything and he became insane after that. :lol:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 13 Jul 2011 1:35 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:The last surgeon who did the ops on my brain did not find anything and he became insane after that. :lol:

So did my surgeon fiance' .. ;) ;)

Too bad, I would have asked MS for a drink .. :D :D then again, I am perfectly abnormal ..

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 13 Jul 2011 2:00 pm

FWIW, I speak the way I speak not because I want to fit in (gave up on fitting in looong ago) but because I really just talk that way.

Also, I'm not too keen on having surgery as well... :P

Toddler1

Postby Toddler1 » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 4:37 am

Looks like this idea of mine will not be entertained.

Alright :)

For those of you that are willing to meet me up for a drink for accent exchange, please private message me from now :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 7:05 am

Look, to be honest, and to say what the rest won't, Getting a regional accent would be acceptable if the person you were talking to came from the area you are going to. But even then, you would still stick out like a sore thumb. I wouldn't be able to think of anything any funnier than a Singaporean with a Boston Accent spoken Singlish in the US. Or a Houston Southern Drawl spoken Singlish.

Just learn how to speak English, they will appreciate that more than everything else.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 7:07 am

You know how locals, behind the expats backs & and occasionally to their faces, laugh at our pathetic attempts at assimilating into Singapore and trying to speak "singlish'? The same is going to happen there but it will be our turn to laugh.

Toddler1

Postby Toddler1 » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 7:38 am

Thank you for your kind words :)

If anyone else would like to help me out in a positive manner without telling me that all my attempts will be nothing more than a joke, drop me a message :)

Thank you :)

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 8:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I wouldn't be able to think of anything any funnier than a Singaporean with a Boston Accent spoken Singlish in the US. Or a Houston Southern Drawl spoken Singlish.

I'm still working on my New York accents...just for kicks....eh, forgetaboutit... :P

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

Looking for Americans Friends for Accent Exchange

Postby JaanJ » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 9:12 am

@ OP - I spent 4 months in NJ, PA, WA, NYC - travelling alone. I did not prep myself to fit in and I never had any problem communicating with the locals there. My accent's abit of British twang but that's all. As long as your pronounciation is crisp and clear, you are already doing fine. Just go enjoy - take in the sights and soak yourself in the local atmosphere and before you know you are already flying home. Then you ask yourself why even need to learn the accent in the first place. Just be yourself, you'll enjoy more.

Every single moment in the States, I truly enjoyed. Mt Pocono in winter was awesome. And yeah...I am an Asian.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 5:30 am

That is what I have been trying to convey. You do not need to have the accent just to feel blend in . I had my short work stints in a few places in US namely Austin, Hayward and Chicago itself on different trips.
Some speak normal, others you just cannot understand and most probably I did not speak properly hence they were grasping to understand me. Once I became less self conscious of my speech, everything went smoothly.Just be normal.
BTW I was there at least three months at any given time and I am not a native English speaker and I am Asian too
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 9:04 am

Mad Scientist wrote:That is what I have been trying to convey. You do not need to have the accent just to feel blend in . I had my short work stints in a few places in US namely Austin, Hayward and Chicago itself on different trips.
Some speak normal, others you just cannot understand and most probably I did not speak properly hence they were grasping to understand me. Once I became less self conscious of my speech, everything went smoothly.Just be normal.
BTW I was there at least three months at any given time and I am not a native English speaker and I am Asian too

I'd just like to add one caveat for the OP to think about: Don't be too sensitive or too literal.

I've noticed this because I speak more Americanized than most Asians. In a light-hearted and definitely social context, I try to slip in some humor and some people take what I say literally or take it too seriously. What I said was obviously absurd and over the top but some people think I just did a complete 180 on what I initially said. So, be on the look out for sarcasm and hyperbole.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:18 am

.......or they could be thinking " what the h...... is he saying? "

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:35 am

local lad wrote:.......or they could be thinking " what the h...... is he saying? "

It's not only me; otherwise, I wouldn't bring it up.

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Postby AngelJoy » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You know how locals, behind the expats backs & and occasionally to their faces, laugh at our pathetic attempts at assimilating into Singapore and trying to speak "singlish'? The same is going to happen there but it will be our turn to laugh.

i never try to learn singlish or speak like singaporeans.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:22 pm

AngelJoy wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:You know how locals, behind the expats backs & and occasionally to their faces, laugh at our pathetic attempts at assimilating into Singapore and trying to speak "singlish'? The same is going to happen there but it will be our turn to laugh.

i never try to learn singlish or speak like singaporeans.

No wonder you eat in the expensive restaurants and skip the cheaper coffee shops :D :D

I remember a friend, who was in US for a month, came back and ordered coffee in a coffee shop and he got coffee black and extra strong ..... (he was like - i would love a coffee, with a bit of milk and a dash of sugar .. ) totally opposite of what he wanted ..

And another guy, who went to a tailor, and said "mate, I want my new pants altered, and use the other pant as measure .. " the tailor smiled and said "you come I measure" my friend was "no, this isn't mine, it is my friends, I am doing him a favor and have brought his sample and the new one .. " and the tailor was again "I know, I know, you come this side, I measure you .. "

I couldn't take it - barged it, and told the tailor "uncle, this one ha, original, this one ha, new, new one cut for old one size, can ?? "

The tailor was "oh, why your friend dont' speak english ha . keep blah blah till I blur .. "

Want more ?? :D :D