Singapore Expats Forum

student invitation for PR since oct 2009

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
skypt

student invitation for PR since oct 2009

Postby skypt » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 1:48 am

Hi all,

I was invited to apply PR in oct 2009 under the student scheme. Since then, i have not heard from ica. Here is my background -

Just graduated from local polytechnic
    Secured a job in one of the local restructured hospitals as a professional
    Has Employment pass (Q1)
    Gotten a provisional scholarship for degree conversion overseas (will only be confirmed if PR is granted)
    Stayed in Singapore for 6-7 years
    Educated in Singapore since primary 1
    Strong intentions of staying in singapore for good

During the long wait of 21 months, i have done the following to expedite the process

written 4 expedition letters to ica, of which 3 have supporting documents of my scholarship and overseas university placement
    gone to the MP out of desperation to ask for his help in writting an expedition cum recommendation letter (3 weeks ago)
    updated ica on the change of student pass to employment pass

Just to note: only 1 of my coursemates is granted with PR in 8 months. The rest were rejected. and mine is still pending ever since. I am in desperate need of meeting the payment deadline for my university placement in 2 months' time.

Can someone kindly advise me on what I can do now? The suspense is seriously eating me inside out. Thank you!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 3:02 am

Since Sept 2009 the PR application has been tightened real hard. Patience.
No news is good news. Hold on to your job and do not do anything stupid
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

skypt

Postby skypt » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:03 am

but i have been waiting for 21 months. sigh, perhaps the longest wait that i have seen on any online forum. is there really nothing else that i can do? if i keep on waiting, i will lose my university placement and scholarship very soon.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:34 pm

What is your ethnicity?

skypt

Postby skypt » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:00 pm

i am a malaysian chinese

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:29 pm

Strange. I would have though you would have been a shoe-in. I don't know what to do as 21 months IS a long time without being informed of a decision. You are definitely between a rock & a hard place. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions. Maybe MS will have something when he sees it.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 11 Jul 2011 4:33 am

These are my thoughts and mine only. ICA has stopped offering PRs application for local diplomas foreign student since 2009. At the same time ICA has reduced the number of application for PR for tertiary too.
ICA might have missed your application for some reason beyond my understanding.
I would be incline to see the supervisor for PR application personally not the front line staff.
How much are you drawing from your current job now ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

skypt

Postby skypt » Mon, 11 Jul 2011 11:45 pm

sigh, it is indeed a LONG time. i have all but 1 friend who got the PR cos she was under sponsorship by one of the major hospitals. others were rejected. i'm drawing about 2.8k now, hence that made me qualify for q1 employment pass. to see the supervisor?? how can i request to see the supervisor? they kept telling me tt i should just keep waiting cos alot of the pple are like me, still waiting. my goodness, how long am i going to wait?!?! is there anyone who can review my situation and give me a direct answer so tt i can plan my future? my scholarship is definitely hanging by the thread now cos i do not have any time to wait any longer. besides, i'll b definitely getting a degree cos i'm sponsored to do my degree. seriously frustrating.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 12 Jul 2011 5:34 am

Yes , it is a long time hence my advise to see the supervisor at the PR application section. You have to persevere and push hard to get an answer. If you walk away at the first sign of hurdle, you will definitely left with empty handed. Observe and make sure someone open up your file and review. Tell them of your deadline to submit scholarship. Nudge nudge and if push comes to shove do it as you have nothing to lose.

skypt

Postby skypt » Tue, 12 Jul 2011 9:06 pm

thanx for the advice. i guess i have to start banging tables if i really have to. i've been shoved from one person to the other and nothing gets done at all. gotta think ways to threaten them for an answer

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:34 pm

Ask them via the forum in the local bird cage liner. That will get their attention real fast! :lol:

skypt

Postby skypt » Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:30 pm

?? where is their forum?? i'm seriously desperate to get their attention

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:10 am

"Letters to the Forum" in the daily paper.