Singapore Expats

The lot of S'poreans...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:fatigue factor. Good analogy. Like of like PTS syndrome one gets after return after a long haul in-country (I had a very mild version - I was very lucky) after Vietnam. We've all been dealing with the ever-increasing rhetoric against foreigners since Sept of 2009. It's has steady gotten stronger and stronger until the climax of the recent GE where the gahmen's lax entry criteria was soundly thrashed by the local opposition who were/are against that free entry policy. This has caused a tightening up and criteria and lots of rejections, both in initial applications and in renewals. We (foreigners) are tired of feeling like we're targets just waiting to be lanced like an unwanted boil. Because of this we are constantly on edge and when confronted by a well spoken "local" who "holds" their ground and usually replies with facts (and the links for them). Some of us really take umbrage to it and go into attack mode more out of a defense mechanism than one of just disagreeing with the post. I think we are all having a harder time keeping our "feelings" check at the door, and are allowing them to show up in our posts as well.

But I'm probably wrong, it's just what I perceive from a day to day basis. I may well be reading the whole thing wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
Interesting. Thank you for that clarification. I'm not very involved with the type of locals who would say anything like that to my face and my hubby's work isn't the type that takes work away from locals. Although it's comparatively high paying, in Singaporeans' esteem it's as desirable a career choice as a street cleaner or construction worker. So not much competition...we haven't been exposed to this sentiment really. I guess we're sheltered. Anyway we never had a plan to stay here long term so the politics surrounding PR status etc hasn't provided more than a passing interest to me. It's nice to pick up some perspective though, one of the many perks of being a world traveler :-)

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 9:19 am

+1 and +1

And you're right - it's not AFAIK in the >5 years I've been on it.
JayCee wrote:
poodlek wrote:I have to note that I find it interesting that .... this forum to be anti-local. Yes there are still a few rather negative folks but as far as I have noticed there has mostly been interesting discussion of the differences between locals and foreigners

I'm going to posit a theory: local folks .... are a little hypersensitive to ....straight talk ..... because they are more used to the beat-around-the-bush, say-what-I-think-you-want-to-hear type of communication that is typical in Asia.

Singapore is a pretty good place. It's not perfect, though. If all we did here was talk about the good things about Singapore we'd end up sounding like the gahmen ;-) it's the bad things that are most interesting to discuss-so don't get upset that we like to hash it out. If we all thought Singapore was so horrible we wouldn't be here. :-)
+ 1

Unfortunately constructive criticism isn't something that they take well here, because our countries are not perfect we're not allowed to talk about anyone else's
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:03 am

poodlek wrote:BTW I don't get what you mean by 'fatigue factor'
Just put yourself in her shoes if this would be your country. Right or wrong the foreigners complain here very frequently. This must take its toll on anybody who is even remotely patriotic (unfashionable, cliche word these days I am afraid) leaving aside all other possible i.e. cultural factors. Then there are also some provocative posts like the one starting this tread. It adds up on the wrong side of the balance. I am guessing it all of course but this is at least how I would feel even if what was said against my country was justified.
Imagine a Canadian forum for Singaporeans (of course Canadians welcome too) and daily posts complaining:
- people are very aggressive, they scold me when I tried to enter the lift!
- no rooms in social housing for maids!
- they fined me $500 for crossing 5 lanes in 2s when I was just joining the traffic, idiots or what?
- awful food
Examples only of some potential annoyances resulting from cultural differences between Singapore and Canada - please do not address these points :)
If I were Canadian hanging around such place (for whatever reason) I would be p** *f after few days only and I am rather used to the straight talk and open complaining.

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:27 am

poodlek wrote:Interesting. Thank you for that clarification. I'm not very involved with the type of locals who would say anything like that to my face and my hubby's work isn't the type that takes work away from locals. Although it's comparatively high paying, in Singaporeans' esteem it's as desirable a career choice as a street cleaner or construction worker. So not much competition...we haven't been exposed to this sentiment really. I guess we're sheltered. Anyway we never had a plan to stay here long term so the politics surrounding PR status etc hasn't provided more than a passing interest to me. It's nice to pick up some perspective though, one of the many perks of being a world traveler :-)
I am note sure if one can define oneself as a "world traveler" when one remains insulated and detached from sentiments of the place and its people whom they are temporary staying with..

Kinda like "hey gee...I didn't know the local inhabitants do that or this...btw I am staying at Holiday Inn".

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 1:55 pm

Wow--I have to visit the General Discussions board more often! I just "shifted" jobs to SingHealth after being here for 4.5 years. I really ave no idea how my coleagues made do on $1500 to $2000 monthly salaries, some with three kids. While I agree there are lots of Singaporeans living above their means, there are many more just trying to keep their heads above water--in their own country.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 8:00 pm

Manthink wrote:
poodlek wrote:Interesting. Thank you for that clarification. I'm not very involved with the type of locals who would say anything like that to my face and my hubby's work isn't the type that takes work away from locals. Although it's comparatively high paying, in Singaporeans' esteem it's as desirable a career choice as a street cleaner or construction worker. So not much competition...we haven't been exposed to this sentiment really. I guess we're sheltered. Anyway we never had a plan to stay here long term so the politics surrounding PR status etc hasn't provided more than a passing interest to me. It's nice to pick up some perspective though, one of the many perks of being a world traveler :-)
I am note sure if one can define oneself as a "world traveler" when one remains insulated and detached from sentiments of the place and its people whom they are temporary staying with..

Kinda like "hey gee...I didn't know the local inhabitants do that or this...btw I am staying at Holiday Inn".
http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/ind ... eoId=24419

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 8:42 pm

boffenl wrote:Wow--I have to visit the General Discussions board more often! I just "shifted" jobs to SingHealth after being here for 4.5 years. I really ave no idea how my coleagues made do on $1500 to $2000 monthly salaries, some with three kids. While I agree there are lots of Singaporeans living above their means, there are many more just trying to keep their heads above water--in their own country.
You are right. The technicians in my company are earning around that figure and one of them even has 6 children to feed! Gosh, it really breaks my heart to witness such vast difference...

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:40 pm

the lynx wrote:
boffenl wrote:Wow--I have to visit the General Discussions board more often! I just "shifted" jobs to SingHealth after being here for 4.5 years. I really ave no idea how my coleagues made do on $1500 to $2000 monthly salaries, some with three kids. While I agree there are lots of Singaporeans living above their means, there are many more just trying to keep their heads above water--in their own country.
You are right. The technicians in my company are earning around that figure and one of them even has 6 children to feed! Gosh, it really breaks my heart to witness such vast difference...
Singapore is no utopia and there are MANY who live on the borderline. You can't say majority are happy to get into debt when they have little savings left with all the bills, inflation and yes competitions. Singapore has no minimum wage policy nor do they have an effective "worker's union".

I am not surprised that some of you admitted feeling "insulated" nor appreciate the financial pressure these folks are under with <S$2000 monthly income.

If OP had gave a little though over this, he/she might had think twice before starting this thread.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 21 Jul 2011 9:59 am

the lynx wrote:
To be honest, if you can't keep it in your pants long enough such that you have 6 kids you can't afford, then I don't really feel much sympathy for you
I HAVE MASTERS!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:15 am

+1 ^^^^^^^

You make your bed, well then you have to lie in it.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jul 2011 3:31 pm

Which, it just goes to show, that family is an anomaly or Malay, as the Fertility rate here has been well below 1.5 for over 20 years and it's down around 1.16 at the moment, so if they have 6 kids.........
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 4:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Which, it just goes to show, that family is an anomaly or Malay, as the Fertility rate here has been well below 1.5 for over 20 years and it's down around 1.16 at the moment, so if they have 6 kids.........
You are right, they are Malays and I find them to be a urm... productive lot... They have children young and they have many children...

Waiting4Skyrim

Post by Waiting4Skyrim » Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:48 am

x9200 wrote:........Imagine a Canadian forum for Singaporeans (of course Canadians welcome too) and daily posts complaining:
- no rooms in social housing for maids!
- they fined me $500 for crossing 5 lanes in 2s when I was just joining the traffic, idiots or what?
- awful food
Examples only of some potential annoyances resulting from cultural differences between Singapore and Canada - please do not address these points :)
If I were Canadian hanging around such place (for whatever reason) I would be p** *f after few days only and I am rather used to the straight talk and open complaining.
I am curious.. :? ..
Have you been scolded in Canada for entering a lift?
If so, what is the reason?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 30 Jul 2011 5:55 am

Waiting4Skyrim wrote:
x9200 wrote:........Imagine a Canadian forum for Singaporeans (of course Canadians welcome too) and daily posts complaining:
No, never, but I always let people leave before I get in, be it a lift, bus, MRT etc. Do you?
I guess reading the whole thread would help you with understanding what it is about.

Waiting4Skyrim

Post by Waiting4Skyrim » Sat, 30 Jul 2011 10:21 am

x9200 wrote:
Waiting4Skyrim wrote:
No, never, but I always let people leave before I get in, be it a lift, bus, MRT etc. Do you?
I guess reading the whole thread would help you with understanding what it is about.
I have read the whole thread, but there was no immediate connection.

Boarding a bus. Not an issue as folks alight from rear exit.

Entering a lift. I always do let folks get out.
However I have frequently encountered persons (locals & foreigners) who do not in Takashimaya.

For MRT, I do naturally stand at the side so people can get out.
Exception being times where I observe no other person doing this. Then I will be just as boorish as the other boarding (locals & foreigners) passengers.
:x used to get annoyed so I adjusted my behaviour accordingly :cool:

When I vacation in Australia, Japan or Thailand :D I am myself as the locals are polite folks.
My adaptive behaviour :twisted: switches on in Hong Kong, Malaysia & Taiwan.
Last edited by Waiting4Skyrim on Sat, 30 Jul 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.