Singapore Expats Forum

Can it get much better than this

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu, 03 Jan 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby curiousgeorge » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 7:19 am

nakatago wrote:
longstebe wrote:ask the people in London to stop stabbing people.


Ok, now I'm intrigued about where in London you lived such that stabbings area quite common in your area. I know it can be pretty bad over there but that makes it sound like it's the bad lands out there.

I mean, I come from a country where such crimes are common except in affluent areas (and I have never lived in affluent areas).


I lived in Hackney before I moved here. We had a chalkboard on the fridge that we marked everytime we heard gunshots - 12 times in 2 years! Murders so frequent that they become nothing more than four lines of "round-up"news in the local paper. Ours was a gated community and I wouldn't go out after dark unless in a taxi. At the local train station, the security people would stay in their huts behind bullet-proof glass. Miles of streets with never a sign of a police officer, unless there was 10 of them in riot gear.

Moving to Singapore was a blessed relief.

Yes, I can recognise JR8s list of annoyances, but compared to living in Hackney, Singapore is a dream.

I am with the OP on this - it doesn't get much better than this. If you don't like it, GTFO!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 8:55 am

curiousgeorge wrote:
I lived in Hackney before I moved here. We had a chalkboard on the fridge that we marked everytime we heard gunshots - 12 times in 2 years! Murders so frequent that they become nothing more than four lines of "round-up"news in the local paper. Ours was a gated community and I wouldn't go out after dark unless in a taxi. At the local train station, the security people would stay in their huts behind bullet-proof glass. Miles of streets with never a sign of a police officer, unless there was 10 of them in riot gear.



:-| The only reason I don't hear a lot of gunshots when I was back home is because the dregs are too damned poor to buy them. But stabby-stabby's are quite common, peppered with the occasional, nay, frequent burglaries, rapes, muggings and domestic violence.

Back to the original discussion (not necessarily a reply to CG)...

Ok, Singapore is really peaceful compared to our countries. But let's not deny that all is not perfect here and some of us get ticked off by those imperfections. Each to his own but it's not always an all-or-nothing affair. It's not always black and white. It's not "you're either with us or against us."

Put things this way: we all probably created (at least mentally) our lists of pro's and con's and the reason the lot of us are here is because, for the time being, the pro's list is longer than the con's. And while we're still here, we really would like the con's list to be even shorter. Some of us think that can be done and therefore are not resigned to just accepting "that's just the way things are."

If, for you, living here is a dream, good for you. But some of us see room for improvement.

So, can we get back to being civil while disagreeing?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 9:35 am

longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:I disagree in part about adapting/accepting things here.

When I consitently see 70-80 year old uncles and aunties struggling to stand up on the train or bus when some 20 year old student sits there pretending to sleep or is too engrossed in their iPhone, that sort of behaviour isn't something I want to get used to or adapt to. Some things are just wrong, regardless of culture. I get used to them (sadly) but I don't accept them.


JayCee
If you don't accept it then what do you do about it?


Tell them to move their arse and give the seat to the person who needs it more, I probably do this 2-3 times a week. It doesn't stress me out at all, rather it relaxes me when I see the old lady given the seat so she doesn't have to hold on for dear life to stop from falling over.

SMS sums it up perfectly, apathy does nothing but contribute to the problem


Hats off to ya JayCee, maybe you can ask the people in London to stop stabbing people.


Yeah, because they're the same thing aren't they?

People go way over the top about the crime rate in the UK, I lived in South London for years (and before that South Manchester) and never once had any trouble, in fact my neighbours were very friendly people and we all looked out for eachother when we went on holiday. Try that in Singapore.

Do you read the sun and the daily mail a lot by any chance?

How long have you lived in Singapore btw?
Last edited by JayCee on Fri, 15 Jul 2011 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
I HAVE MASTERS!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 9:37 am

curiousgeorge wrote:Yes, I can recognise JR8s list of annoyances, but compared to living in Hackney, Singapore is a dream.

I am with the OP on this - it doesn't get much better than this. If you don't like it, GTFO!


If Hackney was so bad, why did you live there? It's not like you didn't have any other choices, what with London being huge and all. If you choose to live in one of the worst parts of the country then that's your own choice, but that doesn't mean that the whole of the UK is infested with teenagers running round stabbing people, whatever the tabloids may say
Last edited by JayCee on Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:21 am

JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:I disagree in part about adapting/accepting things here.

When I consitently see 70-80 year old uncles and aunties struggling to stand up on the train or bus when some 20 year old student sits there pretending to sleep or is too engrossed in their iPhone, that sort of behaviour isn't something I want to get used to or adapt to. Some things are just wrong, regardless of culture. I get used to them (sadly) but I don't accept them.


JayCee
If you don't accept it then what do you do about it?


Tell them to move their arse and give the seat to the person who needs it more, I probably do this 2-3 times a week. It doesn't stress me out at all, rather it relaxes me when I see the old lady given the seat so she doesn't have to hold on for dear life to stop from falling over.

SMS sums it up perfectly, apathy does nothing but contribute to the problem


Hats off to ya JayCee, maybe you can ask the people in London to stop stabbing people.


Yeah, because they're the same thing aren't they?

People go way over the top about the crime rate in the UK, I lived in South London for years (and before that South Manchester) and never once had any trouble, in fact my neighbours were very friendly people and we all looked out for eachother when we went on holiday. Try that in Singapore.

Do you read the sun and the daily mail a lot by any chance?

How long have you lived in Singapore btw?


Were you a scally in the past??!!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:24 am

BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:I disagree in part about adapting/accepting things here.

When I consitently see 70-80 year old uncles and aunties struggling to stand up on the train or bus when some 20 year old student sits there pretending to sleep or is too engrossed in their iPhone, that sort of behaviour isn't something I want to get used to or adapt to. Some things are just wrong, regardless of culture. I get used to them (sadly) but I don't accept them.


JayCee
If you don't accept it then what do you do about it?


Tell them to move their arse and give the seat to the person who needs it more, I probably do this 2-3 times a week. It doesn't stress me out at all, rather it relaxes me when I see the old lady given the seat so she doesn't have to hold on for dear life to stop from falling over.

SMS sums it up perfectly, apathy does nothing but contribute to the problem


Hats off to ya JayCee, maybe you can ask the people in London to stop stabbing people.


Yeah, because they're the same thing aren't they?

People go way over the top about the crime rate in the UK, I lived in South London for years (and before that South Manchester) and never once had any trouble, in fact my neighbours were very friendly people and we all looked out for eachother when we went on holiday. Try that in Singapore.

Do you read the sun and the daily mail a lot by any chance?

How long have you lived in Singapore btw?


Were you a scally in the past??!!


Hehehe, got any spare change our kid?
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:29 am

JayCee wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:I disagree in part about adapting/accepting things here.

When I consitently see 70-80 year old uncles and aunties struggling to stand up on the train or bus when some 20 year old student sits there pretending to sleep or is too engrossed in their iPhone, that sort of behaviour isn't something I want to get used to or adapt to. Some things are just wrong, regardless of culture. I get used to them (sadly) but I don't accept them.


JayCee
If you don't accept it then what do you do about it?


Tell them to move their arse and give the seat to the person who needs it more, I probably do this 2-3 times a week. It doesn't stress me out at all, rather it relaxes me when I see the old lady given the seat so she doesn't have to hold on for dear life to stop from falling over.

SMS sums it up perfectly, apathy does nothing but contribute to the problem


Hats off to ya JayCee, maybe you can ask the people in London to stop stabbing people.


Yeah, because they're the same thing aren't they?

People go way over the top about the crime rate in the UK, I lived in South London for years (and before that South Manchester) and never once had any trouble, in fact my neighbours were very friendly people and we all looked out for eachother when we went on holiday. Try that in Singapore.

Do you read the sun and the daily mail a lot by any chance?

How long have you lived in Singapore btw?


Were you a scally in the past??!!


Hehehe, got any spare change our kid?


Nah, skint mate, but you can borra me rockports and jacket if ya like to go rob someone!!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:31 am

BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:I disagree in part about adapting/accepting things here.

When I consitently see 70-80 year old uncles and aunties struggling to stand up on the train or bus when some 20 year old student sits there pretending to sleep or is too engrossed in their iPhone, that sort of behaviour isn't something I want to get used to or adapt to. Some things are just wrong, regardless of culture. I get used to them (sadly) but I don't accept them.


JayCee
If you don't accept it then what do you do about it?


Tell them to move their arse and give the seat to the person who needs it more, I probably do this 2-3 times a week. It doesn't stress me out at all, rather it relaxes me when I see the old lady given the seat so she doesn't have to hold on for dear life to stop from falling over.

SMS sums it up perfectly, apathy does nothing but contribute to the problem


Hats off to ya JayCee, maybe you can ask the people in London to stop stabbing people.


Yeah, because they're the same thing aren't they?

People go way over the top about the crime rate in the UK, I lived in South London for years (and before that South Manchester) and never once had any trouble, in fact my neighbours were very friendly people and we all looked out for eachother when we went on holiday. Try that in Singapore.

Do you read the sun and the daily mail a lot by any chance?

How long have you lived in Singapore btw?


Were you a scally in the past??!!


Hehehe, got any spare change our kid?


Nah, skint mate, but you can borra me rockports and jacket if ya like to go rob someone!!


Give us a savers on that fag
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:13 am

JayCee wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:I disagree in part about adapting/accepting things here.

When I consitently see 70-80 year old uncles and aunties struggling to stand up on the train or bus when some 20 year old student sits there pretending to sleep or is too engrossed in their iPhone, that sort of behaviour isn't something I want to get used to or adapt to. Some things are just wrong, regardless of culture. I get used to them (sadly) but I don't accept them.


JayCee
If you don't accept it then what do you do about it?


Tell them to move their arse and give the seat to the person who needs it more, I probably do this 2-3 times a week. It doesn't stress me out at all, rather it relaxes me when I see the old lady given the seat so she doesn't have to hold on for dear life to stop from falling over.

SMS sums it up perfectly, apathy does nothing but contribute to the problem


Hats off to ya JayCee, maybe you can ask the people in London to stop stabbing people.


Yeah, because they're the same thing aren't they?

People go way over the top about the crime rate in the UK, I lived in South London for years (and before that South Manchester) and never once had any trouble, in fact my neighbours were very friendly people and we all looked out for eachother when we went on holiday. Try that in Singapore.

Do you read the sun and the daily mail a lot by any chance?

How long have you lived in Singapore btw?


Were you a scally in the past??!!


Hehehe, got any spare change our kid?


Nah, skint mate, but you can borra me rockports and jacket if ya like to go rob someone!!


Give us a savers on that fag


Last one our kid, filters a bit pissy too. Get a roll up off kane if your gagging

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:24 am

This is the reason why I'm so worried about taking the IELTS at the British Council! :P

BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:
longstebe wrote:
JayCee wrote:I disagree in part about adapting/accepting things here.

When I consitently see 70-80 year old uncles and aunties struggling to stand up on the train or bus when some 20 year old student sits there pretending to sleep or is too engrossed in their iPhone, that sort of behaviour isn't something I want to get used to or adapt to. Some things are just wrong, regardless of culture. I get used to them (sadly) but I don't accept them.


JayCee
If you don't accept it then what do you do about it?


Tell them to move their arse and give the seat to the person who needs it more, I probably do this 2-3 times a week. It doesn't stress me out at all, rather it relaxes me when I see the old lady given the seat so she doesn't have to hold on for dear life to stop from falling over.

SMS sums it up perfectly, apathy does nothing but contribute to the problem


Hats off to ya JayCee, maybe you can ask the people in London to stop stabbing people.


Yeah, because they're the same thing aren't they?

People go way over the top about the crime rate in the UK, I lived in South London for years (and before that South Manchester) and never once had any trouble, in fact my neighbours were very friendly people and we all looked out for eachother when we went on holiday. Try that in Singapore.

Do you read the sun and the daily mail a lot by any chance?

How long have you lived in Singapore btw?


Were you a scally in the past??!!


Hehehe, got any spare change our kid?


Nah, skint mate, but you can borra me rockports and jacket if ya like to go rob someone!!


Give us a savers on that fag


Last one our kid, filters a bit pissy too. Get a roll up off kane if your gagging

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 1:44 pm

Dunna worry about it youth, BillyB and me are just a couple of chavvy Northerners, they'll be speaking BBC English at the British Council so you'll be reet :)
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 2:08 pm

JayCee wrote:Dunna worry about it youth, BillyB and me are just a couple of chavvy Northerners, they'll be speaking BBC English at the British Council so you'll be reet :)


wot?

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 2:09 pm

al secund dat lad......jus ope yu teecha aint a northunur

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 2:15 pm

BillyB wrote:al secund dat lad......jus ope yu teecha aint a northunur


http://youtu.be/6yN2H3--1aw

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 15 Jul 2011 2:47 pm

JayCee wrote:Dunna worry about it youth, BillyB and me are just a couple of chavvy Northerners, they'll be speaking BBC English at the British Council so you'll be reet :)

Hmm, sounds a bit like you don't have masters.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest