Singapore Expats Forum

Can it get much better than this

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Postby Manthink » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:27 am

nakatago wrote:Serious mode now: I am surprisingly nimble and agile for my size, hence my earlier comment about evasive maneuvers. I can match the agility of people half my mass. Unlike my just-recent posts, these are not exaggerations.

Cool!

Since you are THAT phyically agile, won't it be great employing this ability to negotiate the alleged-those-inconsiderate-local human traffic rather than employing might-is-right attitude?

Better still..to avoid possible colllsions/physical contacts/legal sues..etc you might try howling as you walk. Kinda like a tanker with its airhorn..

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:29 am

Manthink wrote:
nakatago wrote:Serious mode now: I am surprisingly nimble and agile for my size, hence my earlier comment about evasive maneuvers. I can match the agility of people half my mass. Unlike my just-recent posts, these are not exaggerations.

Cool!

Since you are THAT phyically agile, won't it be great employing this ability to negotiate the alleged-those-inconsiderate-local human traffic rather than employing might-is-right attitude?

Better still..to avoid possible colllsions/physical contacts/legal sues..etc you might try howling as you walk. Kinda like a tanker with its airhorn..

1. I already said I always do. Don't you read?
2. I would but people are too oblivious to hear or notice anything. BTW, you're just trolling now.
Last edited by nakatago on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:30 am

Manthink wrote:I feel sorry for you.

Can't speak for Nakatago, but if someone like you says that to me it cheers me up no end :D

Vamos, senor troll
Last edited by JayCee on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I HAVE MASTERS!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:31 am

JayCee wrote:

Can't speak for Nakatago, but if someone like you says that to me it cheers me up no end :D

Not my initial reaction but I guess I should be happy that someone's finally apologetic. :P

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:32 am

I have one positive observation but in a very different area. I have actually an impression that the drivers are getting more polite and more considerate to the motorbike riders. It happens to me more an more frequently that when I go between the lanes (as the local tradition requires) in a heavy traffic the drivers voluntarily move to the side to open the middle space if it is not sufficient for the bike to pass. This is with a very clear exception of the taxi drivers: they never do anything and are the most frequent middle lane blockers.

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Postby Manthink » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:35 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why share? You won't know any more than you did before. That's the trouble here. 33 years of courtesy campaigns and they still don't have a clue. Why should you be any different? :roll:

SMS, you dissappoint me.

Does one need to resort to physical assault/pushing/shoving/samsoniting (for lack of better words) member of the public where one is dissatisfied with local street etiquette?

Are you inferring that Singapore's 3-decade old "Coustesy for You and Me" campign is applicable only to locals and foreigners are free to behave as they please?

That is why I like to know why some of us here are manifesting that might-is-right attitude here, humour not counting.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:55 am

Manthink, you don't dissappoint me. It's no more than what I'd expect from you. :wink:

Again, you just proved my point.

It's not a case of might is right. It's a case of standing up for rules and common courtesy. If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. If everybody "accepts" that locals are blur and cannot be taught, and we have to move out of their way even when they are where they don't belong, then they will never learn that there is a downside to being blur. Even the Holy Goh made the comment when he was PM that the only way that they will learn is if you make your displeasure known often and by everybody. The buck stops with you! If you do not register displeasure, they figure you don't care so why change. I register my displeasure but continuing on my course armouring myself against incoming idiots who don't have enough sense to follow signs & directions.

So, be discourteous at your own peril. If you are discourteous, then you deserve whatever befalls you. Local street etiquette? That's a joke right? Etiquette? Etiquette means have a semblance of manners. Their street manners are much the same as their table manners - virtually non-existent.

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Postby Manthink » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:56 am

nakatago wrote:1. I already said I always do. Don't you read?
2. I would but people are too oblivious to hear or notice anything. BTW, you're just trolling now.

1) No. I DO notice that since you seems to take that in pride. That's why I say "Cool!" Didn't I?

But why quit? Why giveup your flexibilty? IMO, it does 2 things by using your nimbleness despite that apparent overweight figures:

1a) Help shapens your athletic trade.
1b) Reduce conflict.

2) No. You are not giving others the benefit here. Try a portal airhorn nex time. It might help save some a broken nose or having a police record.

PS: Glad if you can point out those alleged "trolling" :)

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Postby Manthink » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:01 pm

JayCee wrote:

Vamos, senor troll

It's a Friday, it cheers me if someone's happy with my contribution. :P

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:06 pm

Manthink wrote:1b) Reduce conflict.

How ironic, given what you've done.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If everybody "accepts" that locals are blur and cannot be taught, and we have to move out of their way even when they are where they don't belong, then they will never learn that there is a downside to being blur. Even the Holy Goh made the comment when he was PM that the only way that they will learn is if you make your displeasure known often and by everybody. The buck stops with you! If you do not register displeasure, they figure you don't care so why change. I register my displeasure but continuing on my course armouring myself against incoming idiots who don't have enough sense to follow signs & directions.

QFT.

Also, I agree with the gahmen on this one. Note, by everybody it's not for just locals or us dirty foreigners.

"Holy Goh"--that is some funny s***!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:16 pm

Nak, surely you've heard that before! As a good catholic you should be aware that Singapore has it's own holy trinity. The Father, The Son & the Holy Goh! :P

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Postby Manthink » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Manthink, you don't dissappoint me. It's no more than what I'd expect from you. :wink:

Again, you just proved my point.

It's not a case of might is right. It's a case of standing up for rules and common courtesy. If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. ....

Their street manners are much the same as their table manners - virtually non-existent.

SMS, one does not need to prove anything here unless one start to act on what has been claimed here.

That is my point. You cannot diminish the repercussions of such might-is-right attitude which some even claim to be a form of "western humour".

And you certainly cannot claim that right by using words of some politicians or local campign as an excuse to being physically combatic.

SMS, by samsoniting around in MRT/buses or any crowded public areas, you as an Ang Moh, will only serve to increase the fissue that I had highlighted serveral times in this Forum.

You had previously indicated your worry about locals becoming less friendly towards foreigners. I feel that too.

One may be a 200kg/7ft gorilla showing their anger and discontent with other beings because of their dislike about someone's table manners etc, but in the eyes of others, that samsonite-holding Angmoh come to represent the uglier.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nak, surely you've heard that before! As a good catholic you should be aware that Singapore has it's own holy trinity. The Father, The Son & the Holy Goh! :P

I'm agnostic but raised a Catholic; yeah, I got the reference. The SG holy trinity, that stuff is gold!!!

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Postby Manthink » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:24 pm

nakatago wrote:
Manthink wrote:1b) Reduce conflict.
How ironic, given what you've done.

Conflict is unlike exchange of opinions.

I think you got that confused.
Last edited by Manthink on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:25 pm

Manthink wrote:
nakatago wrote:
x9200 wrote:And all the sudden somebody next topic started to look for a lawyer for an assault case.

I'd just like to point out, this just almost happened!

Looks at those fantastic body-mass figures, I think some are more in need a dietitian or a workout instructor than a lawyer! :P

Why do you feel the need to slip sly digs in, and get personal in your replies? Just because you've been made to look like a complete tw*t - from your own doing and misinterpretation - no need to start slinging insults around.