Singapore Expats

Can it get much better than this

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 6:00 pm

x9200 wrote:
Manthink wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
LOL, loads of crap we see here today..
Yes, but fortunately you are not always that active.
... you loosing more and more your cool man.
more like marbles instead of cool.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 6:13 pm

Yes, pardon my limited vocabulary.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 6:18 pm

x9200 wrote:Yes, pardon my limited vocabulary.
:roll:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 6:19 pm

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:An assault requires by definition a concious acting (has to be intended). In both JR8's and your samsonite case you were probably the only concious persons at the scene :)
I did not intend that she walk into me. I expected her to end her kiasu 'game of chicken' at the last moment and move out of my way. That she chose not to, and chose to walk around with to all intents and purposes her eyes closed led to the problem.
Probably you're right. There can not be an assault by negligence :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 6:21 pm

nakatago wrote:
x9200 wrote:Yes, pardon my limited vocabulary.
:roll:
You are wrong, but lets leave it aside :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 6:49 pm

[quote="Manthink"]
Now now now...this is not right.

What isn't, that many SGns don't look where they are walking?

In Singapore, folks here don't consider assualt as an hobby..even if you are a drunk.

But they do consider walking along and not looking where they are walking as a hobby, right?

I must say WIMH was dead-on when he/she predicted thread here does degenerate and in this case it began as a benign this[is-a-great-place-to-be to let's-do-the-physical-assault-campign.

What degeneration, everyone so far, apart from you seems to rather enjoying it. Such threads almost always do this. Do you feel it is your patriotic duty to try and hold back the tide?

I must repeat again: This is NOT right,

What, SGns walking into people because they are not looking where they are going?

even if you have the might (6ft+ and weights like a pig) or carrying a samsonite.

Ah, a SGn out to make friends and influence people I see lol.

Questions:-
- Do you advocate walking along not looking where you are walking? What if two people are on a collission course and neither are looking, who is 'assaulting' whom? Would you advocate driving with your eyes closed?
- If you want to get off and MRT, you're first off and people on the platform are blocking your way, contrary to the regulations, what are you meant to do?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 8:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you all remember a while back, Mancantthink was part of the unholy trinity with Aunt Batty and Eau.
Ah-so, all is revealed!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 8:26 pm

I've been in Sydney all week and found the Aussies refreshing - courteous, friendly, chatty, polite, and noticed a mutual respect with people moving out of your way well in advance, or if they get close or get in your way you'll usually get a warm, friendly smile and a sorry. They wait for you to get out of lifts and go out of their way to welcome you.

However, guess which certain groups are absolutely no different over here in that they have no manners, walk all over the sidewalks, never move in advance, have their faces stuck to their phones, never look to see if anyone is coming from another direction when walking out of a shop or across a sidewalk, and have absolutely no lift etiquette.

Answers on a postcard........

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 9:14 pm

BillyB wrote:I've been in Sydney all week and found the Aussies refreshing - courteous, friendly, chatty, polite, and noticed a mutual respect with people moving out of your way well in advance, or if they get close or get in your way you'll usually get a warm, friendly smile and a sorry. They wait for you to get out of lifts and go out of their way to welcome you.
Had the same experience when I was in Perth recently. It was a kind of culture shock to feel my personal space expand back to a comfortable area. And strangers talked to me just for the sake of being friendly! (I guess they couldn't tell by looking at me how privileged and ignorant I am...)
Can't wait to go back and visit :-)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 9:37 pm

BillyB wrote:I've been in Sydney all week and found the Aussies refreshing - courteous, friendly, chatty, polite, and noticed a mutual respect with people moving out of your way well in advance, or if they get close or get in your way you'll usually get a warm, friendly smile and a sorry. They wait for you to get out of lifts and go out of their way to welcome you.
Ah yes. Sydney. Lovely city. Friendly people. Shops close quite early, though.
BillyB wrote: However, guess which certain groups are absolutely no different over here in that they have no manners, walk all over the sidewalks, never move in advance, have their faces stuck to their phones, never look to see if anyone is coming from another direction when walking out of a shop or across a sidewalk, and have absolutely no lift etiquette.
"We have met the enemy and he is us."

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 9:54 pm

nakatago wrote:
BillyB wrote: However, guess which certain groups are absolutely no different over here in that they have no manners, walk all over the sidewalks, never move in advance, have their faces stuck to their phones, never look to see if anyone is coming from another direction when walking out of a shop or across a sidewalk, and have absolutely no lift etiquette.
"We have met the enemy and he is us."
But the bars open late and the seafood is great!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 9:58 pm

nakatago wrote:
Even more challenging if you look for an off-license shop for the first time.

I have exactly the same feelings, Syndney, Melbourne, practically everywhere we've been to. And it was even stronger as I was driving. Exotic things after few years of driving in Singapore like people joining the traffic in front of you and immediately accelerating so you are not force to hit the brake. *sigh*

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:17 pm

nakatago wrote: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 23 Jul 2011 6:23 pm

Manthink wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote: LOL, loads of crap we see here today..a comic "relief"?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 23 Jul 2011 7:09 pm

is that baby sitting on wet sheets?

relief, indeed.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam