Singapore Expats Forum

Commercial Banking - 15 years senior experience

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

tedotoole
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 08 Jul 2011

Commercial Banking - 15 years senior experience

Postby tedotoole » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:08 pm

Perhaps some advice please. For the last few months I have been trying to get traction regarding job applications both direct with banking institutions and via agencies. I am told that there are plenty of roles and demand but finding it difficult to get responses and have the impression that I am not being taken seriously because I am not living in Singapore. I assume I am not the first person (or will be last!!) that applies for roles from abroad.

Is this because I am remote and not in SG? I am very willing to travel there to undertake interviews etc but dont want to commit to dates / expense until I know I can maximise time there.

Any tips ?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:48 pm

You can't make an omelet without first breaking some eggs. :-|

tedotoole
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 08 Jul 2011

Postby tedotoole » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks. Any real tips from anyone ?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 6:11 pm

Where you from? What's your nationality? What kind of banking experience? Where are you working now? A bit more information, mate, might make some of the regulars a bit more forthcoming.

tedotoole
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 08 Jul 2011

Postby tedotoole » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 7:16 pm

I am an Irish citizen, living and working in ireland with 15 years Corporate banking experience. I work for 1 of the large Irish domestic banks. Considerable UK experience working in transaction origination and relationship management including with FTSE companies. Full experience of transaction origination to execution of documentation etc.

A credible, mature, professional corporate banker basically.

putnam
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Postby putnam » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:23 am

Being in Ireland, you are not committed to Singapore. You might not come to Singapore even if interviews are set up. Apply for jobs in other countries like Canada and the US. Your applications will not be considered similarly.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:55 am

putnam wrote:Being in Ireland, you are not committed to Singapore. You might not come to Singapore even if interviews are set up. Apply for jobs in other countries like Canada and the US. Your applications will not be considered similarly.


??? So why would he be any more committed to US and Canada? Your 'logic' is lacking.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:48 pm

You have to excuse putnam's bad case of sour grapes. It also might be part of the reason that putnam hasn't been able to find a job either for the past three months. Oh, I forgot, he doesn't have any experience, but is just a fresh grad.

Our OP has a track record, although, a banking career of 15 years in Ireland may well be a hindrance, considering where the banking industry has put Ireland financially in recent years. :oops:

putnam
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Postby putnam » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 1:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
putnam wrote:Being in Ireland, you are not committed to Singapore. You might not come to Singapore even if interviews are set up. Apply for jobs in other countries like Canada and the US. Your applications will not be considered similarly.


??? So why would he be any more committed to US and Canada? Your 'logic' is lacking.


I mean if he applies for jobs in Canada or in the US, he will find that his applications will not be considered similarly, so it's not peculiar to the Singapore job market.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 1:47 pm

putnam wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
putnam wrote:Being in Ireland, you are not committed to Singapore. You might not come to Singapore even if interviews are set up. Apply for jobs in other countries like Canada and the US. Your applications will not be considered similarly.


??? So why would he be any more committed to US and Canada? Your 'logic' is lacking.


I mean if he applies for jobs in Canada or in the US, he will find that his applications will not be considered similarly, so it's not peculiar to the Singapore job market.


Again, why do you say that? I don't think you are qualified to even make that statement.

putnam
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Postby putnam » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 2:01 pm

That is not a theoretical thing, but just a empirical fact.
I experienced a similar situation.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 2:17 pm

putnam wrote:That is not a theoretical thing, but just a empirical fact.
I experienced a similar situation.


You've got 15 years of corporate banking experience? No, I didn't think so. What you have experienced may not be similar at all. In fact, what you have experienced may be about you.

putnam
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Postby putnam » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 2:40 pm

Of course that depends on applicants, but I guess it's a general tendency. If he is outstanding among numerous applicants, he might be called for an interview. If he is the only candidate qualified for a position, it is likely that he will be called for an interview.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 4:02 pm

putnam wrote:That is not a theoretical thing, but just a empirical fact.
I experienced a similar situation.


If you think, for a moment, that just because you experience a Not so similar situation, that makes it an empirical fact, I know now, why you cannot find a job. :roll:

putnam
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Postby putnam » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 4:09 pm

Do you think you made a logical comment? I was talking about a general trend.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests