Singapore Expats

Waiting on LPR application for 14 months....

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
roryn

Waiting on LPR application for 14 months....

Post by roryn » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 10:47 am

Long time lurker here.

I'd applied for LPR through SMC in April / May 2010, as as per my most recent conversation with the consultant yesterday, there has been no update. I'm trying to view it from a 'no news is good news' angle though. :)

I've been working in Singapore on a P1 pass (monthly salary of $9xxx) since November last year, and I just filed my first tax return last month. I wonder whether I could communitcate directly with ICA, but the consultant says I should wait and stay put.

Sigh.... and being from the demographic that has grown 2% in 10 years (oh horror of horrors!) doesn't help much at this point, I guess :) 8-)

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 10:54 am

I'm not surprised that the consultant doesn't want you to talk to ICA direct, they lose you as a client and lose your money then.

If you're on a P1 pass anyway then I don't see the rush, just wait a couple of years and apply for normal PR as landed PR I guess is not an option for you now that you're here anyway. And when you apply, forget the agents and do it yourself
I HAVE MASTERS!

roryn

Post by roryn » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 12:22 pm

Hi Jaycee,

Agree with you on that. I had asked the agent whether I should cancel the LPR application now that I'm here on a P1 (didn't want it to 'confuse' the system, and I could apply through my employer in a couple of years) but they said its stays within the system as a regular PR application... or something to that effect.

roryn

Post by roryn » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 12:24 pm

Oh, and I already paid them at the time of application last year - so either way they don't have anything to lose, as I understand.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 12:37 pm

roryn wrote:Hi Jaycee,

Agree with you on that. I had asked the agent whether I should cancel the LPR application now that I'm here on a P1 (didn't want it to 'confuse' the system, and I could apply through my employer in a couple of years) but they said its stays within the system as a regular PR application... or something to that effect.
The problem is, it is possible the PR and LPR are in two separate queues (most likely). Once you're here and have EP, you are no longer eligible for LPR. Therefore, your application was probably taken out of the LPR queue and placed into the PR queue but at the end of the queue at the time of gaining your P1. I rather doubt that they will let you jump the queue. This especially so if you are from "that" minority as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

roryn

Post by roryn » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 12:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The problem is, it is possible the PR and LPR are in two separate queues (most likely). Once you're here and have EP, you are no longer eligible for LPR. Therefore, your application was probably taken out of the LPR queue and placed into the PR queue but at the end of the queue at the time of gaining your P1. I rather doubt that they will let you jump the queue. This especially so if you are from "that" minority as well.
Oh damn. :mad: Perhaps should have waited around for the LPR to come through first. And here I thought that having a job prior to relocating to Singapore would actually work in my favour for the application :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 3:35 pm

At that, my friend, is exactly what has caused some of the backlash against one of the minorities here. They are always trying to find a shortcut or a way to subvert the system instead of playing it the way the gahmen wants it to be played. At the end of the day, it hurts all who come from that group whether they try to abuse the system or not. All get tarred with the same brush. Ye reap what ye sow. And even you did do the sowing, the weeds infect the playing field and eventually the gahmen gets out the weed killer.

When that happens, everybody suffers.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 5:41 pm

roryn wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The problem is, it is possible the PR and LPR are in two separate queues (most likely). Once you're here and have EP, you are no longer eligible for LPR. Therefore, your application was probably taken out of the LPR queue and placed into the PR queue but at the end of the queue at the time of gaining your P1. I rather doubt that they will let you jump the queue. This especially so if you are from "that" minority as well.
Oh damn. :mad: Perhaps should have waited around for the LPR to come through first. And here I thought that having a job prior to relocating to Singapore would actually work in my favour for the application :)
When they do get around to your PR application it will more than likely be denied as now you are working in Singapore you no longer meet the criteria of being here for at least 2 years and being apply to provide 3 years of tax assessments!

roryn

Post by roryn » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 6:53 pm

Saint wrote:When they do get around to your PR application it will more than likely be denied as now you are working in Singapore you no longer meet the criteria of being here for at least 2 years and being apply to provide 3 years of tax assessments!
Damn. Oh well... :-|

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 7:51 pm

Yep, that as well. :-|

roryn

LPR approved!

Post by roryn » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 12:31 pm

I received a call from SMC this morning - my LPR has been approved!

I haven't collected the approval letter as yet, but the agent told me that I have up to 1 year to complete all the formalities listed in the letter (submission of docs etc).

She said ICA is reviewing all existing LRP applications - they've seen many rejections, but quite a few approvals coming through lately.