Singapore Expats Forum

EP Rejection..What are the chances of making Appeal

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

kanand2585
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu, 07 Jul 2011
Location: India

EP Rejection..What are the chances of making Appeal

Postby kanand2585 » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 3:18 am

Hi Everyone,

I have 3.7 years of Experience in Middleware technology. i was working with reputed org in Singapore for 5 months as the project moved offshore i was transferred to India however I did got an offer in Singapore for reputed client and good consultancy not though renowned.
I had to leave Singapore as i had been transferred and my previous EP got cancelled, with new Employer who gave me offer they applied EP which got rejected Dnt know the reason...

I have joining on 1 August and even if i appeal what are my chances as it takes 3 weeks for result..can someone help me...
My skillsets are good cannot be done by local people.A serious help or suggestion is needed.If the suggestions come soon really appreciated so i can make my moves or future plans.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35517
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 7:00 am

What was the reason for rejection?

kanand2585
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu, 07 Jul 2011
Location: India

Postby kanand2585 » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 5:42 pm

The MOM did not gave me any reason for the rejection also i am surprised with decisions as i have exp, i have all documents cleared also the package is Good.Definitely the technology i am working on is not known to the locals.

My consultancy person has gone to MOM to know the reason so that we can appeal.However i checked online for the status and it showing Previous EP status cancelled but nothing rearding new EP whether it is rejeceted!!!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 5:59 pm

How do you know that there aren't any locals who know the technology?

Do you have masters?
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35517
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 7:50 pm

kanand2585 wrote:The MOM did not gave me any reason for the rejection also i am surprised with decisions as i have exp, i have all documents cleared also the package is Good.Definitely the technology i am working on is not known to the locals.

My consultancy person has gone to MOM to know the reason so that we can appeal.However i checked online for the status and it showing Previous EP status cancelled but nothing rearding new EP whether it is rejeceted!!!


You are not telling us the whole story. MOM DOES tell you generally what the reason was. Normally it is for one of two things. Quota or Does not meet current criteria.

It it's the latter, it could be that your degree in in a non-related field, or your experience is insufficient, or there are enough suitably qualified local/PRs to fill the positions 'in MOM's eyes' so the company has been turned down. So, now, which is it?

kanand2585
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu, 07 Jul 2011
Location: India

Postby kanand2585 » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks for your responses really appreciated in tense moments like these.

I am middleware Engineer working on JMS technology for reputed banking client DB now i have got a new offer , the previous organization transferred me to train juniors...At Same time i got this new offer i cancelled my EP and came back...My employer has started a new Consultancy just 6 months old but the Head (pwner) has 15 years of experience in same field of recruitment...

As per sundaymorningstaple i have all graduation degrees from reputed Colleges in india also the work expereince is quite healthy as in early carier i have worked with Big giants of IT...So that might not be the issue.

I dnt know about quota as there were multiple openings for the same and they were struggling to get right candidate.

My employer today told me that he has written a mail to MOM regarding reason for rejection...and assured me that we can appeal...

I met all the criteria so just i ma worried as to what shud be done shud employer personally go and check or await response , Concerned regarding the offer and joining date it MOM takes too long for appeal result.........

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35517
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 10:28 pm

The way it's set up now at MOM, even if the employer were to go to MOM, it's doubtful that he would get to see anybody at all. The only cases they entertain in person now, for the most part are in the cases of fraud, or other trouble with MOM. (I'm talking about trouble after you are working here - not trouble getting approved). Now, with the advent of iSubmit, they have given employers a way to submit additional supporting documents without the need for eyeball talks.

Sometime, MOM will deny an application just to see how serious the employer is about hiring the individual and upon appeal (providing something new or in better detail can be submitted) they may well approve it. Let them appeal, if it's a go, congrats, if not, there's not a lot more you can do.

kanand2585
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu, 07 Jul 2011
Location: India

Postby kanand2585 » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks a lot for wonderful explanation.

So what i understand is in case of fraud or something personally employer can go to check however is it that my Employer is doing right thing by mailing them and waiting for response....As the all the threads i have read they will surely give some reason for rejection and than we can appeal to make our case strong......

Also you are right as they first check how serious is the employer to hire him and in many such threads people have got Approved appeal....

What should be next steps 1.Appeal 2> if not succeded than what..
Ifi go on a social visit pass to singapore will that help to things moving up as i am getting releiving on this month 25 july..and joining is on 1st August...

The entire hope is on Employer which i conveyed to him and he too has assured so playing waiting game NOW....ur views are appreciated

Venomrush
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu, 17 Mar 2011

Postby Venomrush » Sun, 10 Jul 2011 5:25 am

I wouldn't advise you to go into Singapore on visit pass and attempt to start work on 1st August. Being in Singapore physically doesn't improve the situation, your EP application is what counts.

If found out, both you and the company will be penalised. May result in you getting a ban.

Do NOT start work until you have received EP approval. Wait until the appeal process is completed. Call up the new employer to postpone start date.

If the appeal is unsuccessful, as sundaymorningstaple said, there's nothing more you can do. Look for jobs elsewhere.

kanand2585
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu, 07 Jul 2011
Location: India

Postby kanand2585 » Wed, 13 Jul 2011 12:14 am

Thanks a lot...

My idea was to just go and check regarding the EP Status and try to move things a bit ..not to resume the work on 1st august but as u say personally over there will not help so its better i wait for the appeals result....

The consultancy did try to find the reason for rejection however at their disposal were just told to send the documents again and informed we will recheck it....

So the consultancy did exactly the same....meanwhile trying to find a job in my country as welll.....The result will be out in 15 days meanwhile patience is the key................................

Regards,
Anand

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:27 am

kanand2585 wrote:The MOM did not gave me any reason for the rejection also i am surprised with decisions as i have exp, i have all documents cleared also the package is Good.Definitely the technology i am working on is not known to the locals.

My consultancy person has gone to MOM to know the reason so that we can appeal.However i checked online for the status and it showing Previous EP status cancelled but nothing rearding new EP whether it is rejeceted!!!


When you say package is good, it is relative. The package may be good in your eyes, but it may not be enough to mitigate some of the other factors in the MoM's eyes. You didn't mention what your degree is and 3.7 years is not a whole lot of experience.

EPs on IT jobs are relatively easier to get but thats only if you are getting atleast 4k+ in salary on an EP P2.

Venomrush
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu, 17 Mar 2011

Postby Venomrush » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 4:21 pm

revhappy wrote:EPs on IT jobs are relatively easier to get but thats only if you are getting atleast 4k+ in salary on an EP P2.


I thought it's 3.5k+ for EP P2?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35517
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 4:46 pm

Making more than the absolute minimum is always a plus in any given EP level. Making only the minimum means you are borderline. And borderline, with the strictness of today criteria/point allocations just isn't good. In fact, even if you make above the level required for a certain EP, doesn't mean you will get that. I know S pass holders who make P2 level salaries but are only being given S passes. I also know regulars here who were on P2 Passes and subsequently reduced to Q passes upon renewal even though their salaries were high enough to still qualify for P2 passes. You don't have a choice of the pass level. MOM has the choice. No one else.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:33 pm

Venomrush wrote:
revhappy wrote:EPs on IT jobs are relatively easier to get but thats only if you are getting atleast 4k+ in salary on an EP P2.


I thought it's 3.5k+ for EP P2?


Used to be lah, change oredy wat :wink:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Venomrush
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu, 17 Mar 2011

Postby Venomrush » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 6:31 pm

revhappy wrote:
Venomrush wrote:
revhappy wrote:EPs on IT jobs are relatively easier to get but thats only if you are getting atleast 4k+ in salary on an EP P2.


I thought it's 3.5k+ for EP P2?


Used to be lah, change oredy wat :wink:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx


What happens if someone used to be on P2, when renew do they stay on P2 or move down to Q1??


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests