Singapore Expats Forum

EP woes: letter of completion isn't sufficient

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 5:35 pm

samuel.faith wrote:
Asdracles wrote:As I said in an earlier post about this same topic, don't complain too much, as other coutries (as Spain) issues the title certificate 1/2 years after you have completed your studies. During that time you are a graduated everywhere in the world except in Singapore.

You're talking about 1 month.... peanuts!

Yo Asdracles! Yeah, ain't really complaining cos I already know it's usual around the world.

Usually "letter of completion" states that a particular person with this IC/passport number has passed this degree and awarded this and that, just without cert and grades. And it's issued officially by university, with direct contact information to the official who issued that. MOM won't accept it. Oh well, this is Singapore... might be same elsewhere too.

-- sfaith

A few years ago there were very little verification of degree certs by the MOM and they were literally letting anyone in on an EP. You could have shown your 50 yard doggie paddle cert and got in! A year or so ago the MOM realised there were a significant number of bogus certs flying around the system so the rules and procedures were tightened up considerably. There have been many cases where employees have been turned down on renewal due to dodgy certs. I did read somewhere that there were something 300 people caught last year with dodgy certs who were either prosecuted or deported.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 7:46 pm

You might have read on here, where in late 2009 I lost two S pass holders who were already with me for 6 months when I was visited by an MOM field team (3 guys) who wanted us to call 'em in from the field on the spot. In the end we had to bring them down to MOM Foreign Labour Division and they were subsequently grilled for a number of hours and put in the lockup and left there overnight and for sever night after that. Needless to say, was a bit of an eye opener for us as well. That when I found out about the overseas vetting teams (some are MOM staff while other teams are civilians subcontracted in those countries to vet documentation/experience. It's real folks. Trust me on this. I'm not speaking about anecdotal evidence here.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 11:31 pm

Here's an interesting anecdote I read a long time ago.

The guy just graduated but won't get his diploma/certificate of graduation for several weeks (sounds familiar?). Being fresh from college, he applied for some jobs, one of which is in Singapore. He got an offer and accepted. But when he was gathering the paperwork, he realized he didn't have his diploma/CoG yet. So, he went out to get a forged document to submit; he was confident because even if someone vetted if he indeed graduated from claimed school, it would check out because he did; he just didn't have his official document yet.

The guy wrote that several years after it happened. So I guess he got away with it. Note, though, that he used a forged document because the real wasn't available yet.

Food for thought.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 4:56 am

nakatago wrote:Here's an interesting anecdote I read a long time ago.

The guy just graduated but won't get his diploma/certificate of graduation for several weeks (sounds familiar?). Being fresh from college, he applied for some jobs, one of which is in Singapore. He got an offer and accepted. But when he was gathering the paperwork, he realized he didn't have his diploma/CoG yet. So, he went out to get a forged document to submit; he was confident because even if someone vetted if he indeed graduated from claimed school, it would check out because he did; he just didn't have his official document yet.

The guy wrote that several years after it happened. So I guess he got away with it. Note, though, that he used a forged document because the real wasn't available yet.

Food for thought.

Yeah he is lucky, I read in the NZ herald website of this Top Scientist from SIS aka CIA in NZ. He claimed he had a PHD , SAS sepcial force personnel and even one of the bob sleigh member of the Winter Olympic years ago. He fooled everyone for many years in NZ even the PM John Key!!
Got caught on tape will all his BS and shown the door of the slammer.
Another one was the head of Immigration Service. Claimed to have a PHD in London School of Economics. Someone in her office spilled the bean as she was helping her family members to cut corners for residency and got caught. She even fooled the previouse PM Helen Clarke
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 7:03 am

MS, I remember that! That was just last year some time wasn't it?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 7:33 am

Yup,I strongly believe, everyone must be made accountable of their own actions. alas not for SG Cabinet Ministers as they can do no wrong :cry: :cry:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 7:46 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
nakatago wrote:Here's an interesting anecdote I read a long time ago.

Food for thought.

Yeah he is lucky, I read in the NZ herald website of this Top Scientist from SIS aka CIA in NZ. He claimed he had a PHD , SAS sepcial force personnel and even one of the bob sleigh member of the Winter Olympic years ago. He fooled everyone for many years in NZ even the PM John Key!!
Got caught on tape will all his BS and shown the door of the slammer.
Another one was the head of Immigration Service. Claimed to have a PHD in London School of Economics. Someone in her office spilled the bean as she was helping her family members to cut corners for residency and got caught. She even fooled the previouse PM Helen Clarke

Thing was, the guy did have the degree just not the papers yet.

Anyway, you know Christine "I'm not a witch" o donnell? Ran for the us senate (don't remember which state) and claimed to have gotten a degree from an ivy league university. Ironically, she was running claiming a moral high ground.