Singapore Expats Forum

Question About EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dontwannaleavesg

Question About EP

Postby dontwannaleavesg » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 12:00 pm

Hi everyone...

First of all, thanks to creators and moderators of this forum. This forum is a great helpful resource for expats. This is my first post here.

I'm an Indian, came to SG last December to look for opportunities. I got a job this January, unfortunately my S pass which was applied online got rejected. Again I got job in another company, this time they applied EP for me and it was rejected again after 3 weeks. By the time it was rejected, I was in India since my visit pass had expired.

I contacted my employer and they said they would appeal with some more additional information. Fortunately it was approved on April last week and I came here on may and started working.

My problem is that after one month the employer told me that the project which I was assigned has been cancelled, and my boss told me to look for other jobs since they have lot of workers.

I was really frustrated and started to look for other job. Last week I got a job but the salary was lesser than the previous job and they told they would only apply S pass.

My question
1. Will MOM allow me to switch jobs in the space of two months?
2. Is there any problem if my salary is lower than the previous job?
3. Will there be any problem if I degrade from EP to S pass?

Also I have learnt from MOM web that salary limit for pass has been changed from this july...Will this affect me?

Waiting for your answers...
Thanks

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Re: Question About EP

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 12:07 pm

dontwannaleavesg wrote:Hi everyone...

First of all, thanks to creators and moderators of this forum. This forum is a great helpful resource for expats. This is my first post here.

I'm an Indian, came to SG last December to look for opportunities. I got a job this January, unfortunately my S pass which was applied online got rejected. Again I got job in another company, this time they applied EP for me and it was rejected again after 3 weeks. By the time it was rejected, I was in India since my visit pass had expired.

I contacted my employer and they said they would appeal with some more additional information. Fortunately it was approved on April last week and I came here on may and started working.

My problem is that after one month the employer told me that the project which I was assigned has been cancelled, and my boss told me to look for other jobs since they have lot of workers.

I was really frustrated and started to look for other job. Last week I got a job but the salary was lesser than the previous job and they told they would only apply S pass.

My question
1. Will MOM allow me to switch jobs in the space of two months?
2. Is there any problem if my salary is lower than the previous job?
3. Will there be any problem if I degrade from EP to S pass?

Also I have learnt from MOM web that salary limit for pass has been changed from this july...Will this affect me?

Waiting for your answers...
Thanks

The answer to all your 3 questions is "it depends on MOM and they may or may not approve your future passes".

There is no rule that says you cant change job within 2 months and also cant switch to a low paying job.

But think from a normal persons perspective.. Does this look good from MOM point of view that you are changing within 2 months (They wont know that your boss asked you to change).

Secondly they would like to see people proceed positively with advancements in career ...Higher roles and higher salaries would be more positive than reduced salary for the new pass.

Cant say that it wont be approved.. But just think... Good Luck !

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 12:08 pm

Has your current employer cancelled your work pass yet and has your new employer applied for your new one?

No-one can say for sure what will happen as each case is taken on it's individual merits, but considering your were rejected twice before you finally got your pass and have now been laid off after a couple of months it probably doesn't look that good for you so I'd start to make some exit plans just in case if I were you
I HAVE MASTERS!

dontwannaleavesg

Postby dontwannaleavesg » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 2:26 pm

@singaporeflyer, thanks for wishing me good luck....

@JayCee, No my current employer hasn't cancelled the pass yet and my new employer didn't apply yet... But my new employer is a Well established concern than the previous one and they have good success rate on employment pass applications...

Thanks for your replies...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 2:50 pm

Actually, depending on the job description, the OP's qualifications, and the salary being offered, there is a good chance that he will be approved. There is, however, no guarantees. As most of the regulars know, I recently had two scenarios which panned out rather well (considering the losses of others I've had recently) one was rejected on renewal and was subsequently hired by my main company successfully. The other was rejected by my main company, applied to two of our other companies, and both rejected (S & Q), subsequent appeals and two visits to MOM and managed to get him approved in the original company for 2 more years.

So, it's hard to tell. If you have been given an EP, then it's always posible to get it again. Especially if you are just coming in. Apparently you have something that is still being considered so just hang in there. But make exit plans as well so you are not caught short.

dontwannaleavesg

Postby dontwannaleavesg » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks SMS for your reply...I'm hoping for the best...

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 6:02 pm

If the situation was as you describe, I'm quite sure that your employer won't have big problems in explaining in a letter the reasons why your job was cancelled.

I can't be 100% sure if MoM will give any value to it, but for sure it won't hurt. It's not the same quitting your job after 2 months than losing it due to company reasons.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 6:34 pm

But will the employer be willing to give such a letter ? it depends

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:22 pm

#-o

What's the worst that can happen? The employer says no? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :-|

dontwannaleavesg

Postby dontwannaleavesg » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:45 pm

Hi folks, thanks for your replies...

My current employer has told me that they will provide letter explaining the cancellation of my job, but will this sufficient enough for MOM?

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:09 pm

Asdracles wrote:I can't be 100% sure if MoM will give any value to it, but for sure it won't hurt. It's not the same quitting your job after 2 months than losing it due to company reasons.

We can give advises and guessing, but nobody knows how MoM will consider it. But as said, it will not be bad for sure