Singapore Expats

Diploma Programs and Courses

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
harky

Diploma Programs and Courses

Post by harky » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 11:49 am

Hey Guys
Need some advice over here hehe...

I m over 27++
And now i had abit of saving and time, i tot of upgrade or continue my study.

I dont think Pte Dip suit me as i m not very smart and If want to take Pte Dip, i had to take Pte Degree too if not the wrong. Or etc the cert will be petty useless.

My NTC2 cert is 10yr ago one (tht is 1999)! can use that to enter poly?? haha
but my GPA is kindly low, Base on my statement of results cert (the last one) should be 2.55 (current semester) or 2.23 (cumulative) .. got 2 point so not sure is which one..

BTW i belong to NT GCE N. I tot of taking O Level too but than I call up ITE and check with them, they told me that i need to have a N Stream if not i am not able to attend their O Level course.. Sigh!

Seen NT is not very useful y gov still had this for topid ppl like me**
Last edited by harky on Tue, 05 Jul 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 11:53 am

Before you do anything , go and learn how to write proper English. Once you have completed the whole Four Semesters of English Course conducted by SMS then only then.... come back here again to pose your question
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

harky

Post by harky » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 12:18 pm

Hi ya
Thanks for reply
And you are RIGHT! i not good in my English..

Do the Four Semesters of English Course conducted by SMS help me out in my Poly, the most important is the cert recognised??

I good in other think but my weak point is English. Sigh. But seen i taking electronic course.. it doesnt really do a matter? as i am not in the business line?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 4:50 pm

why don't you inquire at the local polytechnics?

a diploma awarded by a private school might eventually lead to a degree if you continued studying and are recognized (sometimes) as the first one or two years of a bachelor's degree. their entry requirements might be less stringent too.

having said that, you probably need to brush up on your english language skills before heading back to school as you might have to write some simple papers as part of your final assessment(s).

personally, i think it's ridiculous that someone needs a Normal (Academic) qualification before they can take "O" level classes/exams as a private candidate.

good luck.

p/s: many people don't have a good education and are able to prosper...! work hard at whatever you choose to do, be it studying or working and you'll go place.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 5:01 pm

taxico wrote:why don't you inquire at the local polytechnics?
NTC2 cannot enrol Local polytechnics
It need at least O level or ITC

harky

Post by harky » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 9:51 pm

sigh ya..
it better to apply local poly using O.. chances are higher than NTC2 Zzz
if it so easy, think many ppl just go in from NTC2 already.
therat wrote:
taxico wrote:why don't you inquire at the local polytechnics?
NTC2 cannot enrol Local polytechnics
It need at least O level or ITC

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Re: Diploma Programs and Courses

Post by ausinsg » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 2:55 am

harky wrote: My NTC2 cert is 10yr ago one (tht is 1999)! can use that to enter poly?? haha
but my GPA is kindly low, Base on my statement of results cert (the last one) should be 2.55 (current semester) or 2.23 (cumulative) .. got 2 point so not sure is which one..

BTW i belong to NT GCE N. I tot of taking O Level too but than I call up ITE and check with them, they told me that i need to have a N Stream if not i am not able to attend their O Level course.. Sigh!
Hi,

Bear with me as I get my head around the Singaporean qualifications.

The last certificate you completed is the NTC2, is that correct? Before that you complete Sec 3, and then went to ITE?

When you say you belong to NT GCE N, does that mean you are currently taking N levels? or were some of the subjects in your NTC2 also counted as N level subjects?

Although you might not have the proper background for entry to O levels, if you feel you are capable of doing them, you can ask the ITE to give you a Pre-Course Assessment. If you show that your standard is equal to O levels, they should allow you to sit for O levels.

If you can help to clear up my understanding of how the system is structured, I will try to see if there is any information to help.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 3:59 am

Nah.... ausg you got all this mixed up.

The normal route unless you are in SAP or Independent Schools which offer IB, SAT and GCE
Sec 1 to sec 4 under normal stream will do the GCE N. If they meet the min credit then the student can sit for GCE O at Sec 5. This is especially catered for SG only. The GCE O equates to CIE Cambridge but it will be watered down by MOE as all result will go to MOE before reaching the schools unlike CIE where the student will get the raw marks from Cambridge
GCE N is mark in SG hence a very control environment
If student not able to meet the academic profile after Pri 6, they will go to ITE Vocatioanal similart to Trade Qualification. There on they will go for NTC 3 , NTC 2 , NTC 1 (Catered only for apprenticeship which in turn will leapfrogged first year in Polytechnic for a Diploma. Or from NTC 2 go for ITC then on Diploma.Those on ITC who achieve COM will go directly to 2nd Year Poly.
In Diploma if student achievd COM (Certificate of Merit) and apply for Unis , again will leapfrog First Year Course in Uni and will directly enter 2nd year Tertiary

Capisce ? :cool:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

harky

Post by harky » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 9:00 am

Na half correct.. your seen to be belong to the N century system.

Yes i did went to N Level but is belong to NT Stream (Normal Technical) not the Normal Academic one although it stated N Level. There are quite number of subjects is different from Normal Academic, as Normal Technical is slight easy in the sense. E.g My maths is not same as Normal Academic, i dont learn E-maths but i learn Maths Syllabus T.

I study from sec 1 - sec 4 (NT Stream) and went to ITE and got my NTC2 Cert. And stop there, never continue my study. If you are in (NT Stream), you will end up in ITE no matter what.

As i belong to Normal Technical Stream. So when i call up ITE if i am able to take up their O Level, there say NO because i belong to Normal Technical Stream, not Normal Academic. If i want i had to retake from 3N, 4N, 5N (O Level)

haha got this from MOE website. The only thing they never told is that NT Stream is not allow to take O Level because of the subject..

I start to think this when i getting mature. Haha last time never thought of it. quite late but yet had to do it.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 9:11 am

OK my bad. Yours is the updated one

harky

Post by harky » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 9:28 am

hmm

someone say i can use my NTC2 to enter poly, think i will give it a try but... there something come out from my mind..

In Poly, do you need to use E-maths which learn from Normal Academic? I am quite worry is the E-Maths.

As my NTC2 is electronic, thus i only can apply course which is related to it.. that is Computer Engineering. Zzzz