Singapore Expats Forum

father singaporean, mother non Singaporean child =??

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
blackbeard

father singaporean, mother non Singaporean child =??

Postby blackbeard » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 7:21 am

hi

I would like to check what kind of Nationality a child in Singapore can get, if the father has a Singapore Passport and the mother has a different nationality? Is the Singapore Citizenship compulsory or can the parents choose, assuming the child is born in Singapore. Anyone knows what else can be done to have the mothers nationality?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: father singaporean, mother non Singaporean child =??

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 7:25 am

blackbeard wrote:hi

I would like to check what kind of Nationality a child in Singapore can get, if the father has a Singapore Passport and the mother has a different nationality? Is the Singapore Citizenship compulsory or can the parents choose, assuming the child is born in Singapore. Anyone knows what else can be done to have the mothers nationality?

Is the wife a PR or foreign talent on EP pass or what ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

OkLah

Postby OkLah » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 9:23 am

Based on my experience, a child born in Singapore with at least one parent being a Singaporean citizen will acquire Singaporean citizenship by birth. That status is conferred automatically when the parents register the birth. There is no option to decline the child's Singapore citizenship. Of course, this does not preclude the non-Singaporean parent from going to his/her country's foreign mission and registering the baby's birth and hence acquiring the citizenship of that country if that country's citizenship laws allow for it. If you do not want the child to acquire Singaporean citizenship, your only option is to have the child born overseas.

blackbeard

Postby blackbeard » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 8:22 pm

thanks for the replies. Mother would be on en EP for this case

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 4:18 am

There are two ways you can do this. First is what OKlah said which is true, tired and tesyed.
The other is if your marriage is not registereed in SG then just give birth to thc child here . DO not inform the hospital staff who the father is. As long as you pay for the bills and within 42 days of giving birth register your child with the mother foreign embassy and apply for child LTSVP.
Alternatively if marriage is registered here and you still want to give birth here, do the same route but when registering for foreign PP use a different name albeit maiden name of mother.
I came across this before but not sure if this is doable as the poster did not inform me on the success. If mother is PR you can apply for PR instead of citizenship but that will remove the issue of NS if child is a male
I got the sense from you that you do not want your child to serve NS but wants to enjoy the high standard of hospital care in SG.
Am I right ??? Tell me if I am right ??? Pleaseeeeeeeeee...........
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

blackbeard

Postby blackbeard » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 7:15 am

actually we might go back to my homecountry and it will be easier to relocate there if only the father is holding a foreign passport, if the complete family will have a foreign passport there be a bigger hindrance to go back and get visas for them, as this would be a non english speaking country we need more time to get there (get the language skills for the father) as without language skills there would not be a job for him there.

marriage got registered in sin

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 7:23 am

blackbeard wrote:actually we might go back to my homecountry and it will be easier to relocate there if only the father is holding a foreign passport, if the complete family will have a foreign passport there be a bigger hindrance to go back and get visas for them, as this would be a non english speaking country we need more time to get there (get the language skills for the father) as without language skills there would not be a job for him there.

marriage got registered in sin

OK , my bad
In this case, you have no other choice but givign birth here and register child for dual citizenship . If the child is male then the whole shebang protocol on NS posted by Kraikk has to be adhered to.
If child is female, she can retain dual citizenship till 21 by then she can decide to renounce SG or the foreign one.
may I know which country are you from ?
Good Luck

blackbeard

Postby blackbeard » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 7:38 am

thanks for your help, sound complicated but managable I guess.

I am from a European Country with good food :wink:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 8:45 am

Nah.... not that complicated.

Not as complicated as doing the pasta or raviolli or gnochi or preparing for siesta

This forum has alot of infos where you can learn and stir yourself from danger. Keep tab and the regulars here will do our best to help out. But first you must help yourself and read all the infos that you are after.
If you are still not getting what you are looking for. YELL!!

OkLah

Postby OkLah » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 8:58 am

MS,

"If mother is PR you can apply for PR instead of citizenship but that will remove the issue of NS if child is a male"

Are you referring to a child born in Singapore to parents of whom one is a Singapore citizen and the other a PR? Based on my experience that was not the case. When my first son was born in Singapore in 2000, I was still a Singapore citizen whereas my Australian wife was PR. When I went to ICA to register his birth, I specifically told the officer that I did not want my son to be registered as a Singapore citizen by birth because he is entitled to Australian citizenship by descent. She told me that was not possible as the computers have been programmed to automatically register any child born to parents of whom at least one is a Singaporean as a born Singaporean citizen. They subsequently issued the birth certificate with the line "This child is a citizen at the time of birth" in the Remarks column. I tested this again when my second son was born three years later and the reply was the same.

Hope you can clarify. Thanks.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:37 am

OkLah wrote:MS,

"If mother is PR you can apply for PR instead of citizenship but that will remove the issue of NS if child is a male"

Are you referring to a child born in Singapore to parents of whom one is a Singapore citizen and the other a PR? Based on my experience that was not the case. When my first son was born in Singapore in 2000, I was still a Singapore citizen whereas my Australian wife was PR. When I went to ICA to register his birth, I specifically told the officer that I did not want my son to be registered as a Singapore citizen by birth because he is entitled to Australian citizenship by descent. She told me that was not possible as the computers have been programmed to automatically register any child born to parents of whom at least one is a Singaporean as a born Singaporean citizen. They subsequently issued the birth certificate with the line "This child is a citizen at the time of birth" in the Remarks column. I tested this again when my second son was born three years later and the reply was the same.

Hope you can clarify. Thanks.

First of all on the first ques. Typo error THAT WILL NOT REMOVE THE ISSUE OF NS. my bad

Second ques
Yes, I know this is not possible but one forumer which I cannot recall till now his name Lebrowski or Lenbronski or something along this line showed it to me on ICA website where the child was given a choice of either a PR or a SG citizenship.
I saw it by myself but failed to saved it. Till now I cannot find that page in ICA website. Hence I only can vouch by myself on this that this is possible
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:41 am

Correct. If the child had one Singapore parent (regardless of which one) and the child is born IN Singapore, no way out.
27. I am a Singapore Citizen. Can I not apply Singapore Citizenship for my child born overseas? What are the types of immigration facilities I can apply for my child to visit Singapore or reside in Singapore permanently?

If you have not registered your child to be a Singapore Citizen, you may apply for Singapore Permanent Residence or a Long Term Social Visit Pass for him/her so that he/she can stay with you in Singapore.

Parents who wish to apply for Singapore Citizenship for their child born overseas are encouraged to register their child at the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) within one year of the child’s birth.