Singapore Expats Forum

Favourite cake

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

kitkats
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 03 Jul 2011

Favourite cake

Postby kitkats » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 6:12 am

Hi.

What's your favourite cake?

What food do you miss most from your country?

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 7:27 am

Brownies and fruit cake
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
shameenali
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue, 23 Feb 2010

Postby shameenali » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 8:13 am

Chocolate Banana cake. My wife's fav hence by default becomes mine as well :) :P

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 8:56 am

yam (ube macapuno)

cheese-flavored ice cream

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 9:03 am

nakatago wrote:cheese-flavored ice cream


:o Cheese flavoured? I reckon, seeing milk is a component of Ice Cream, cheese is only a little further away. Stilton or Limburger :lol: mental imagery is shocking.

For me it's gotta be brownies as well!

Miss from home? Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 9:14 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
nakatago wrote:cheese-flavored ice cream


:o Cheese flavoured? I reckon, seeing milk is a component of Ice Cream, cheese is only a little further away. Stilton or Limburger :lol: mental imagery is shocking.


More like cheddar/gouda mix.

http://www.shopbohol.com/3.0L-Supreme-Ice-Cream-Selecta-Quezo-Real-Flavor.html

Just got back from home last week; even though we had two storms and hence raining all week, I had to make sure I got my quezo real fix.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:09 am

Favourite cake is some sort of nutty brownie thing that I discovered at a shop near work the other day and which I'm now addicted to!

I miss real fish and chips and doner kebabs, and sometimes I have hankerings for british style chinese and Indian takeaways too which is weird considering I'm surrounded by Chinese and Indian food here
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:20 am

The nutty brownie for me is walnuts chopped into smaller bits
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:24 am

JayCee wrote:Favourite cake is some sort of nutty brownie thing that I discovered at a shop near work the other day and which I'm now addicted to!


Where is this wonderful place? No, seriously, where?

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:42 am

JayCee wrote:Favourite cake is some sort of nutty brownie thing that I discovered at a shop near work the other day and which I'm now addicted to!

I miss real fish and chips and doner kebabs, and sometimes I have hankerings for british style chinese and Indian takeaways too which is weird considering I'm surrounded by Chinese and Indian food here


I agree I miss Chinese and Indian Takeaway from the UK too ..... luckily I am back there for a holiday soon so will fill my boots when back. :D

The Fish and Chips at Smiths Chippy are not a bad alternative to the UK style, but again I will be sampling the real thing in a couple of weeks.

As for cakes I miss parkin around Guy Fawkes time, I can make it myself but alas I don't have an oven here.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:44 am

Mad Scientist wrote:The nutty brownie for me is walnuts chopped into smaller bits


Bake Inc do something like this, but am not sure its a brownie.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 12:52 pm

nakatago wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
nakatago wrote:cheese-flavored ice cream


:o Cheese flavoured? I reckon, seeing milk is a component of Ice Cream, cheese is only a little further away. Stilton or Limburger :lol: mental imagery is shocking.


More like cheddar/gouda mix.

http://www.shopbohol.com/3.0L-Supreme-Ice-Cream-Selecta-Quezo-Real-Flavor.html

Just got back from home last week; even though we had two storms and hence raining all week, I had to make sure I got my quezo real fix.


That one is a new one for me! I'll never question the local Ice Creams like Yam, Corn or Red Bean ever again! :wink:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 1:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
nakatago wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
nakatago wrote:cheese-flavored ice cream


:o Cheese flavoured? I reckon, seeing milk is a component of Ice Cream, cheese is only a little further away. Stilton or Limburger :lol: mental imagery is shocking.


More like cheddar/gouda mix.

http://www.shopbohol.com/3.0L-Supreme-Ice-Cream-Selecta-Quezo-Real-Flavor.html

Just got back from home last week; even though we had two storms and hence raining all week, I had to make sure I got my quezo real fix.


That one is a new one for me! I'll never question the local Ice Creams like Yam, Corn or Red Bean ever again! :wink:


We have yam as well (similar to the cake) but is way better than what they have here. But the cheese, you really have to try it. If you'd notice Wall's premium line here, we have it back home as well (Wall's is Selecta there) except that we have the quezo real and pistachio flavors.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 3:22 pm

Now, pistachio I could go for, but how the devil to get cheese flavoured here in Singers to try it? Any of the small 'peens shops here carry it? I'm curious now.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 3:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Now, pistachio I could go for, but how the devil to get cheese flavoured here in Singers to try it? Any of the small 'peens shops here carry it? I'm curious now.


I haven't checked but I don't think the LP shops have Philippine ice cream. I did see one 'gourmet' gelato/ice cream store (elsewhere, not LP) but what they had was cream cheese and is vastly different from quezo real.

There's a stall in the airport in Clark (Angeles, Pampanga, Philippines) that lets you buy and fly with ice cream--they'll give you a bag with dry ice (the airport and airlines seem to be fine with it). Unfortunately, they don't seem to have cheese.

I'll do more research and tell you what I find. And if I manage to find or bring cheese ice cream, it'll be an ice cream party then.

EDIT: If you're going to the US anytime soon, maybe you can actually find quezo real (either by Selecta or Magnolia). As it turns out, some Asian/Filipino stores stock the flavor if there's significant a Filipino community nearby (e.g. Boston or San Francisco). For example, there's such a store in Queens, NY.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests