Singapore Expats Forum

Need help

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
gabrielmac

Need help

Postby gabrielmac » Mon, 04 Jul 2011 4:58 pm

Hi all,

I have been a PR for 2 years and I married my gf a year ago. She was studying with a student pass then. Later I applied LTVP for her which was valid for a year and it's successfully approved for renewal a few weeks ago for another year. I also sponsored for her PR application sometime last year but it was rejected. She wants to work in Singapore but she cannot do so without changing to S-pass or EP. But the problem is she does not have a degree but has only a certified accounting technician (CAT) certificate from ACCA. Even then that certificate is not one consolidated piece of paper but with three sets of papers stating completion of Intro level, Intermediate level, Advanced level. I don't know her S-Pass application will be successful with that kind of qualification or not. Another thing is that it's also quite troublesome for both of us as I cannot apply to buy a resale HDB flat alone but has to rent a flat which could burn a hole in your income. What should I do for our future? Do I try for citizenship and then sponsor her for PR? (I intend to settle down in Singapore but I do not know whether my 2 years being PR is sufficient or not). Or should I continue to support her education to at least get a diploma and apply SPass and then PR on her own merit? Thank you all in advance.

On a separate note, I found it is a bit bizarre that spouse of EP holders on dependant passes can just apply for LOC from MOM then start working without having to apply for any passes. Spouses of PRs on LTVP cannot do so.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 04 Jul 2011 5:35 pm

You are going to have to wait until you've been married for at least a couple of years before making a PR application for your spouse that the ICA will seriously look at. Over the last few years there have been so many marriages of convenience purely so spouses can obtain PR, especially if the marriage involves a person from certain regional countries.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Re: Need help

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 04 Jul 2011 5:58 pm

certified accounting technician (CAT) certificate from ACCA

Is this a certificate from Singapore? If yes and if she applies for a relevant job she MAY have a decent chance to secure a work pass in SG. may be a S Pass or Q1 for a start?

gabrielmac

Postby gabrielmac » Mon, 04 Jul 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for the replies :)

I will wait another year before I apply for her PR again.

Yup. She got her CAT qualification here in Singapore but strangely it is not awarded as a single certificate. I just hope MOM can approve her SPass. By the way, after she works here with a workpass, can she apply for LTVP again in case PR is not approved again? Thanks !!!

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 04 Jul 2011 10:45 pm

gabrielmac wrote:Thanks for the replies :)

I will wait another year before I apply for her PR again.

Yup. She got her CAT qualification here in Singapore but strangely it is not awarded as a single certificate. I just hope MOM can approve her SPass. By the way, after she works here with a workpass, can she apply for LTVP again in case PR is not approved again? Thanks !!!

If in case she works on a valid work pass and later decides not to work, you can still APPLY for LTSVP for her as a spouse of a PR.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Re: Need help

Postby revhappy » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 9:50 am

gabrielmac wrote:On a separate note, I found it is a bit bizarre that spouse of EP holders on dependant passes can just apply for LOC from MOM then start working without having to apply for any passes. Spouses of PRs on LTVP cannot do so.

Dependant pass holders are allowed to work on a LoC so that they dont feel bored sitting at home. Its like a benefit to attract foreign talent. If dependent pass holders were not allowed work, then many people might have turned down offers to come over to Singapore.

In case of PR its different. First thing is PR should always be applied as a family or else it is useless. I know you applied for PR at a time when you were single, but you should have thought of the these consequences when doing that. PR should be applied only when you are certain that you are going to stay here for the long run. And that kind of a decision should be made a family and not as an individual.

I know lot of people who are in the same boat as you, i.e. they applied for PR as singles for themselves, thinking that allows them to stay here and switch jobs easily and now they are having trouble getting PRs for their wifes. So they are neither here nor there.