Singapore Expats Forum

Is it a right time to apply for PR now ?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Ragav

Postby Ragav » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 9:00 pm

Thank you ...i wiil try and see how is the result.. Hope will get it...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:09 pm

Frankly, until the demographics here change substantially, I feel it's not really going to make too much difference when you apply. As a member of the demographic that has increased by two percent over the past 10 years, the will only be looking to give PR to those who are the brightest of the lot from this point on to sometime in the unforeseeable future. I know it's rough, but it straight to the point.

sms

Kekelala

Postby Kekelala » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 9:00 am

I own a company that is filed under manufacturing sector. I have a worker (under woek permit) who has worked with me for coming 4 years. Now my girlfriend, we are interested in her SPR application. Her WP will expire on March 2012 and my questions are:

1) When will be the best time to apply SPR for her?
2) should I get approval from MOM to marry her first then apply SPR?
3) as she is a good worker, company has shown progress in revenue. Can this be a plus point for her application?
4) Will the increase of her salary improve the chances?

Many thanks in advance.

Jeff

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:03 am

I'm not sure what the answer is ... Do you know about the rules relating to work permit holders who get married to SG'rs / SPRs? You don't say what your status is, but I assume its one of the above. They need permission (read the forum to find out from whom as I can't remember) else they are banned from Singapore for 10 years.

So will a work permit holder get pr? Unlikely (although it has happened). I think you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Because if the application for marriage is rejected it is even less likely that pr will be given. And even if you're married you should possibly wait some time in order before applying for pr to avoid making it seem like a marriage of convenience. She will need to continue living in sg on a work permit (or she can stop working and you can get a ltvp for her).

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:06 am

If she is on a WP the odds of getting PR are rather slim.

If you decide to ROM first, she needs to get permission from MOM BEFORE you marry otherwise, she'll be stuck in limbo forever. If MOM gives you permission to marry, after marrying, you can apply for PR but again in the near future her chances will be slim in as much as ICA will probably look upon it initially as a marriage of convenience.

Your owning a company, the size of the company makes no difference. Salary increase? Not likely as she is still on a WP. Change of employment visa, possible, but very difficult to get PR while on a WP unless already married for a couple of years (with permission).

Ethnicity will have a bearing on it as well, but this you should already know if you have done any research on this forum.

Kekelala

Postby Kekelala » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:12 am

Thank you sundaymorningstaple and carteki for the valuable reply.

I am a Singaporean and I have read through the related topics in this forums several times before posting these questions.

Currently, it seems that the only way out is to first marry her, which is subject to MOM's approval, and then apply for a LTVP/or renew WP. PR application shall be done in the later years.

Of course, i have friends who was under WP and had gotten PR easily. But that was on those years when quotas were very high. Now it is not as simple as it seems.

Thank you once again and kind regards
Jeff

kitsune26

Postby kitsune26 » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 2:24 pm

This is just a short update on my situation. We are yet to re-apply for PR but I have managed to find a job on a Letter of Consent and I’m over the moon. It took a fair amount of convincing to have the employer apply for the LOC but it only took about half a day to get it approved. My field is clinical research with just a year’s relevant experience.
To all those trailing spouses like myself miserable without a job in SG just get that LOC application printed out when you get interview calls because it took me two years to do that(maybe because I did not pay enough attention to this forum!!)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 4:20 pm

^^^^
+1